Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax on rotary engines

Options
  • 21-02-2006 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Is it charged based on the CC of the engine like all other cars, or do they close the loop hole somehow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I don't know for sure, but I think the RX8 is taxed as 1.8 (1.3 rotary engine), for insurance it seems to be classed as a 2.6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Revenue class it as a wingel engine or something.

There was a note about this under the VW Golf 1.4 TSI thread.

from that i gathered that it was classed as a 2.3L for tax

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Nice of them to make things up as they go along. Is there anything even slightly legal about doin that?

zuutroy wrote:
    Nice of them to make things up as they go along. Is there anything even slightly legal about doin that?

Wankel rotary engines produce more power and consume more fuel than the "same sized" piston engine. Something in the order of twice the power.

I put that in inverted commas because thats like saying my belly is a one liter engine, you can't compare them as they work so differently.

Well if the gov't define the cubic capacity of the cylinders of the engine as the criteria for road tax for a motor vehicle, then thats what should be assessed in all cases. If it's not suitable, they should use something like engine power output (which is fairer). So if and rx-7 classed as a 2.6, there's at least €600 difference added arbitrarily, just because the system isn't comprehensive enough.

• Advertisement

Well if the gov't define the cubic capacity of the cylinders of the engine as the criteria for road tax for a motor vehicle, then thats what should be assessed in all cases. If it's not suitable, they should use something like engine power output (which is fairer). So if an rx-7 is classed as a 2.6, there's at least €600 difference added arbitrarily, just because the system isn't comprehensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

A rotary engine, as in case of the '13B' mazda engine (Rx7) displaces 1.3 litres. It has 2 of them so its 2.6.
    For some unknown reason the government sees it as a 1.8, and taxes it thus.

I think the rx-7 has two 660cc 'engines'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

^
    Your correct,its two 654cc engines but there taxed as a 1.8 and insurance classed as 2lite+

Incedently there's also alot of Rx7's popping up and being imported lately

The rx-7 has two 660cc rotors.

It only has one engine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement