Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDL line-up announced

• 21-02-2006 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

Should be a very interesting tournament. There were only supposed to be 4 PDC players, but Barney makes it 5 - he did have enough points to qualify automatically. Apparently the format is 8 groups of 4, so everyone plays 3 matches. The top 2 in each group qualify for the second round which is 4 groups of 4, and again the top 2 in each group qualify for the quarter-finals at which stage it becomes knock-out. The tournament runs from 6 May to 14 May. Not sure what Mervyn King is going to do if he comes up against a PDC player!
    Ranked players:
    1. KING Mervyn Engeland Seed nr. 1
    2. ADAMS Martin Engeland Seed nr. 2
    3. DE RUITER Niels Nederland Seed nr. 3
    4. ECCLES Tony Engeland Seed nr. 4
    5. HANVIDGE Paul Schotland Seed nr. 5
    6. ANDERSON Gary Schotland Seed nr. 6
    7. VEITCH Mike Schotland Seed nr. 7
    8. WHITLOCK Simon Australië Seed nr. 8

top 23 BDO ranking:
    9. ATKINS Martin Engeland
    10.GREATBATCH Shaun Engeland
    11.WALTON John Engeland
    12.VAN DER VOORT VincentNederland
    13.HOGAN Paul Engeland
    14.SØRENSEN Brian Denemarken
    15.STOMPÉ Co Nederland
    16.O’SHEA Tony Engeland
    17.MICHELS Mareno Nederland
    18.LAURSEN Per Denemarken
    19.ROBSON Gary Engeland
    20.HANKEY Ted Engeland
    21.ESSERS Albertino Nederland
    22.VAN DIJK Dick Nederland
    23.FITTON Darryl Engeland

Wildcards:
    24.VAN GERWEN Michael Nederland
    25.KLAASEN Jelle Nederland
    26.FORDHAM Andy Engeland
    27.NIJS Jonny Nederland

PDC:
    28.LLOYD Colin Engeland
    29.TAYLOR Phil Engeland
    30.BAXTER Ronnie Engeland
    31.SCHOLTEN Roland Nederland
    32.VAN BARNEVELD Raymond Nederland

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I love teh format for this tournament, Its unlike any other tournament out there. It really is the best players out there with the top 4 PDC players also gaining entry. Again though its hard to look past Taylor especially in a group format because I cant see him losing more than one match. Will be interesting to see if the winner is eventually a BDO or PDC player. I will also be looking out to see how well Klaasens does because I think he was slightly lucky to win the BDO title by getting under 90 averages in some of his matches.

Is this being televised over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Kingp35 wrote:
    Is this being televised over here?
    According to planetdarts, the answer in No - it'll just be shown on SBS-6 in Holland (they do good internet streams apparently, so that might be on option). But hopefully someone will come in and get the rights for the UK (and thus Ireland).

The draw has been made for the IDL, as follows:

Group A:
    Mervyn King, Gary Robson, Vincent van der Voort and Raymond van Barneveld

Group B:
    Simon Whitlock, Albertino Essers, Roland Scholten and Jonny Nijs

Group C:
    Paul Hanvidge, Phil Taylor, Co Stompé and Darryl Fitton

Group D:
    Tony Eccles, Michael van Gerwen, Colin Lloyd and Martin Atkins

Group E:
    Niels de Ruiter, Ted Hankey, John Walton and Ronnie Baxter

Groep F:
    Gary Anderson, Brian Sørensen, Paul Hogan and Per Laursen

Groep G:
    Mike Veitch, Shaun Greatbatch, Tony O'Shea and Mareno Michels

Group H:
    Martin Adams, Andy Fordham, Dick van Dijk and Jelle Klaasen.

Not looking good for TV coverage, but we wait and hope......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Wonder what missus king's excuse will be this time. I actually used to like Mervyn King until he refused to play againist a PDC player! Muppet.

Also would love to see the game with Ted Hankey & Ronnie Baxter - you wont be able to blink or you will miss a leg.:D :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Groups A, E and H look very good quality so some of the top players will be out in the group stage. This tournament looks great and I love the set up. So why the hell isnt it being televised?!! :mad:

• Advertisement

I'm afraid more politics could change everything in the IDL.

As we know, a lot of BDO players are upset that PDC players are allowed into the IDL. But what can they do? - its a BDO major. Boycotting it, as has been suggested, would hurt themselves more than anyone.

The crowd that run the Masters of Darts in Holland are upset with the PDC. As part of the IDL deal, the PDC signed an agreement to only play in certain specified Dutch darts tournaments, meaning PDC players cannot play in the Masters of Darts this year. So the MoD people have provisionally organised a new tournament to be held at the same time as the IDL, open to only BDO players.

The need a certain amount of players to sign pre-contracts in order to give the new tournie the go ahead. So the question is will any or all of the BDO players in the IDL choose to play in the new tournament instead? I'm sure there will be more developments in the coming days/weeks.

I dont know how many times I've said this, but trying to incorporate players from both associations into the one tournament is always going to cause unrest among players. You have to understand the BDO players frustrations in that its their major tournament and PDC players will be in it and taking their potential prize money. As we know the BDO doesnt offer as much as the PDC in money so the BDO players rely on the majors for their income from darts.

If it was me I would have a designated tournament each year with the best from both associations playing in it and leave all other tournaments only for players from one association. That or join the two. That seems unlikely though. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

The first edition of the Bullit Junior IDL will be an International event. Four Dutch talents will take up against four foreign youngsters.

The Bullit Junior IDL will be held during the senior IDL, only the youth event starts on Monday the 8th of May instead of Saturday the 6th, the date that the senior IDL will start. There will be played in a knock-out system. All of the games will be played on the big stage at the Triavium in Nijmegen. This way the youth players can experience playing on a big stage in front of a big crowd. Also the audience can meet the future stars of the game.

The last years Dutch Darts has had a lot of talents who now belong to the best senior players in the World. Jelle Klaasen, one of the products of Dutch Darts, won the Lakeside World Championship aged 21 this year. Also Niels de Ruiter, Mareno Michels, Michael van Gerwen and Jonny Nijs belong to the best players in the World. They will be playing in the senior tournament of the IDL 2006.

The youth players who will participate in the Bullit Junior IDL are:

Jan Dekker, Netherlands
    Sven van Dun, Netherlands
    Pieter Collijn, Netherlands
    Toon Greebe, Netherlands
    Oskar Lukasiak, Sweden
    Jason Cullen, Rep. Of Ireland
    Ross Smith, England
    Kevin Münch, Germany

The program for the Bullit Junior IDL is as follows:

1st Round
    Monday 8 May 20.00 A Sven van Dun (Ned) - Kevin Münch (Ger)
    Tuesday 9 May 21.00 B Toon Greebe (Ned) - Ross Smith (Eng)
    Wednesday 10 May 20.00 C Jan Dekker (Ned) - Jason Cullen (Ire)
    Thursday 11 May 20.00 D Pieter Collijn (Ned) - Oskar Lukasiak (Swe)

Semi Finals
    Friday 12 May 21.00 E Winner A - Winner B
    Saturday 13 May 20.00 F Winner C - Winner D

Final
    Sunday 14 May 20.00 G Winner E - Winner F

Good to see an Irish lad make this elite junior field.

Good to see an Irish lad make this elite junior field.

Totally agree. He must be good to have been picked to compete. I hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

He is good. He's also on the mens senior team here. He did well at the World Masters Juniors last year and also got I think a bronze medal in the Youths World Cup Doubles.

As a fellow Wexford man and ex county player I wish him the best of luck.

• Advertisement

speculation might be getting a bit borning now, but the latest I hear is...

King has told the BDO he won't be playing in the IDL - albeit he has not officially withdrawn yet.

King has told the BDO he won't be playing in the IDL - albeit he has not officially withdrawn yet.

Why does that not surprise me in the slightest?

GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS

Firstly the bad news. My reputation regarding the rumours and gossip I sometimes post is in tatters as I've gotten something badly wrong :(:(:(
    - of course its all the fault of my source (a mate in England) :D

The good news is that King has agreed to play in the IDL after all!

Ah we will forgive you Rooster because your the only one that seems to be able to find out these rumours :D

Well King staying in the tournament is good news because it more han likely means that the BDO players are accepting the fact that the PDC players are in the tournament as well.

Why isnt this on tv? Thats annoying the hell out of me :mad:

Yeah, looks bad for TV coverage.

However the channel who show it in the Netherlands is SBS-6, any they often (but not always) have an internet stream of their coverage. Apparently it comes and goes, and we won't know until very close to the event whether it will be available for the IDL.

Hopefully SBS-6 will try and flog the UK rights to some channel to try and make some money, but it didnt happen last year...

Scotland's Mike Veitch has had to pull out (death in the family I think) and is replaced by Liverpool's Tony Martin, the next highest player in the BDO rankings

Blue Square are showing the darts live on www.bluesq.com from May 6th to 14th.

"To watch any match in the week long BDO/WDF Grand Slam tournament go to http://www.bluesq.com and register on site and then click on the Blue Sq TV button. A menu will indicate darts and a full schedule of games will appear. It is totally free to view"

Fixtures for Saturday and Sunday are as follows (Dutch times):

Saturday Afternoon 6 may 2006

12.00 1. Mervyn King (A1) V Vincent van der Voort (A3)
    12.27 2. Gary Robson (A2) V Raymond van Barneveld (A4)
    12.54 3. Simon Whitlock (B1) V Roland Scholten (B3)
    13.21 4. Albertino Essers (B2) V Jonny Nijs (B4)
    13.48 5. Niels de Ruiter (E1) V John Walton (E3)
    14.15 6. Ted Hankey (E2) V Ronny Baxter (E4)
    14.42 7. Tony Eccles (D1) V Colin Lloyd (D3)
    15.09 8. Michael van Gerwen(D2) V Martin Atkins (D4)
    15.36 9. Paul Hanvidge (C1) V Co Stompé (C3)
    16.03 10. Phil Taylor(C2) V Darryl Fitton (C4)

Saturday Night 6 May 2006

19.00 11. Gary Anderson (F1) V Paul Hogan (F3)
    19.27 12. Brian Sørensen (F2) V Per Laursen (F4)
    19.54 13. Martin Adams (H1) V Dick van Dijk (H3)
    20.21 14. Andy Fordham (H2) V Jelle Klaasen (H4)
    20.48 15. Tony Martin (G1) V Tony O'Shea (G3)
    21.15 16. Shaun Greatbatch (G2) V Mareno Michels (G4)
    21.42 17. Mervyn King (A1) V Gary Robson (A2)
    22.09 18. Vincent van der Voort(A3) V Raymond van Barneveld (A4)
    22.36 19. Simon Whitlock (B1) V Albertino Essers (B2)
    23.03 20. Roland Scholten (B2) V Jonny Nijs (B4)

Sunday Afternoon 7 May 2006

12.00 21. Paul Hanvidge (C1) V Phil Taylor (C2)
    12.27 22. Co Stompé (C3) V Darryl Fitton (C4)
    12.54 23. Tony Eccles (D1) V Michael van Gerwen (D2)
    13.21 24. Colin Lloyd (D3) V Martin Atkins (D4)
    13.48 25. Niels de Ruiter (E1) V Ted Hankey (E2)
    14.15 26. John Walton (E3) V Ronny Baxter (E4)
    14.42 27. Gary Anderson (F1) V Brian Sørensen (F2)
    15.09 28. Paul Hogan (F3) V Per Laursen (F4)
    15.36 29. Tony Martin (G1) V Shaun Greatbatch (G2)
    16.03 30. Tony O'Shea (G3) V Mareno Michels (G4)

Sunday Night 7 May 2006

19.00 31. Martin Adams (H1) V Andy Fordham (H2)
    19.27 32. Dick van Dijk (H3) V Jelle Klaasen (H4)
    19.54 33. Simon Whitlock (B1) V Jonny Nijs (B4)
    20.21 34. Albertino Essers (B2) V Roland Scholten (B3)
    20.48 35. Mervyn King (A1) V Raymond van Barneveld (A4)
    21.15 36. Gary Robson (A2) V Vincent van der Voort (A3)
    21.42 37. Paul Hanvidge (C1) V Darryl Fitton (C4)
    22.09 38. Phil Taylor (C2) V Co Stompé (C3)
    22.36 39. Tony Eccles (D1) V Martin Atkins (D4)
    23.03 40. Michael van Gerwen (D2) V Colin Lloyd (D3)

Great stuff! Thanks for that Rooster.

Not sure, but the blue square feed may be only available to UK users for some reason.

Link to IDL results here:

http://dartswdf.com/aa_darts/results/idl/idl2006.html

Both Paul Hanvidge and Darryl Fitton had darts to beat Taylor but missed!

King played Barney in a winner takes all match last night (both had won one and lost one prior to that - King averaging 110 in beating Gary Robson), and it was Barney who triumphed 6-3. Apparently King was very gracious in defeat. Barney will be in a group with Scholten in the second phase.

Lloyd won his first two matches to ensure qualification, but was well beaten by young van Gerwen (turned 17 in the last week) in his final game.

Klaasen and Adams have won 2 games apiece and are assured of qualification (Fordham lost to both), but play each other tonight in their final first phase group game. The winner goes into a group with Fitton and van Gerwen in the second phase, the loser joins a group with Taylor and Lloyd. Either way should be great - if only it was on telly :mad: :mad:

Apparently the bluesq thingy doesnt start until today - but as I said previously, you may need a UK address to access it.

• Advertisement

Looks like a great tournament so far and great to see Taylor getting challenged. Ill have to check if that link works later, would be great to be watching this.

Monday's action:

Group F - winners to go through
    Gary Anderson V Per Laursen 6 - 4
    Brian Sørensen V Paul Hogan 5 - 6

Group H - Adams and Jelle already through but loser of their game goes into Taylor's group
    Martin Adams V Jelle Klaasen 6 - 4
    Andy Fordham V Dick van Dijk 4 - 6

Group E - Walton already out, others need to win to progress
    Niels de Ruiter V Ronnie Baxter 4 - 6
    Ted Hankey V John Walton 6 - 3

Group G - O'Shea already through, Michels out, others have 1 win each.
    Tony Martin V Mareno Michels 4 - 6
    Shaun Greatbatch V Tony O'Shea 6 - 5

So the second phase is now decided:

Group I: Van Barneveld, Scholten, Baxter, Hogan
    Group J: Taylor, Lloyd, Greatbatch, Klaasen
    Group K: Hankey, Anderson, Robson, Whitlock
    Group L: O'Shea, Adams, Fitton, Van Gerwen

I believe everyone plays once tonight, there is talk that Taylor v Klaasen is tonight but not confirmed yet.

Good stuff Rooster, keep the updates coming

Tuesday's fixtures:

Raymond van Barneveld v Ronnie Baxter
    Roland Scholten v Paul Hogan

Colin Lloyd v Jelle Klaasen
    Phil Taylor v Shaun Greatbatch

Ted Hankey v Gary Robson
    Gary Anderson v Simon Whitlock

Tony O'Shea v Darryl Fitton
    Martin Adams v Michael van Gerwen

ROLAND SCHOLTEN 7 (92) PAUL HOGAN 4 (84)
    RAYMOND BARNEVELD 7 (100) RONNIE BAXTER 5 (90)
    After getting it back to 5-5, Baxter was looking good. But Barney upped a gear to coast the last two legs, starting each one 180-140.

GARY ANDERSON 3 (89) SIMON WHITLOCK 7 (99)
    TED HANKEY 7 (90) GARY ROBSON 6 (93)
    - It seems Hankey swore his way through this match, so a fine is inevitable!

COLIN LLOYD 7 (87) JELLE KLAASEN 2 (84)
    - Unfortunately Jelle didnt turn up and Colin strolled it.
    PHIL TAYLOR 7 (91) SHAUN GREATBATCH 1 (84)
    - No pressure put on the Power

TONY O’SHEA 6 (85) DARRYL FITTON 7 (91)
    - Nip and tuck the whole way, Fitton just edged it.
    MARTIN ADAMS 6 (107) MICHAEL VAN GERWEN 7 (108)
    - I believe this was one of the greatest short-format games of all time. No leg went more than 15 darts. In one leg MvG was left with 125. Quick as a flash he hit Bull followed by 25. He paused, shuffled across the oche a little, took aim and took out another Bull! He also took out a 141, and with the scores at 4-4 and Adams sitting on a one dart finish he took out 146 - T20 T20 D13. Then in the final leg he won the bull, started with a 180 and finished with a 164!

MARTIN ADAMS 6 (107) MICHAEL VAN GERWEN 7 (108)
    - I believe this was one of the greatest short-format games of all time. No leg went more than 15 darts. In one leg MvG was left with 125. Quick as a flash he hit Bull followed by 25. He paused, shuffled across the oche a little, took aim and took out another Bull! He also took out a 141, and with the scores at 4-4 and Adams sitting on a one dart finish he took out 146 - T20 T20 D13. Then in the final leg he won the bull, started with a 180 and finished with a 164!

That sounds like an unbelievable match. I have always been a fan of Adams, I think he is a top player who deserves to have won the World Championships at least once. Van Gerwen is sounding like a fantastic prospect, possibly even better than Klassen who I think is far too inconsistant. Both averages were fantastic and some great finishes. Why the hell isnt this on tv, would have been a great match to watch. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

And not forgetting Jason Cullen from Wexford who progressed to the semis in the youths with a 4-2 victory.

Exactly Neo, great result for Jason. The quarter-finals was 4 Dutch guys against 4 others, and apparently the Dutch were hopeful of a clean sweep. The German lost on Monday, the English dude lost on Tuesday, but the Irish lad won last night (A Swede plays a Dutch lad this evening in the last QF). Well done Jason.

Results for the senior event last night:

RONNIE BAXTER 7 (83) PAUL HOGAN 2 (82)
    RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD 7 (96) ROLAND SCHOLTEN 1 (83)
    so barney through, hogan out. tonight's game between Baxter and Rollie decides the other qualifier

SIMON WHITLOCK 7 (87) GARY ROBSON 4 (85)
    TED HANKEY 7 (94) GARY ANDERSON 5 (91)
    hankey and whitlock confirmed as qualifiers, but the loser of their game tonight will face taylor in the quarters.

SHAUN GREATBATCH 7 (92) JELLE KLAASEN 5 (89)
    PHIL TAYLOR 7 (98) COLIN LLOYD 1 (91)
    the clash of the world champs is rendered pretty meaningless as jelle is out. the winner of lloyd v greatbatch joins taylor in the quarters.

DARRYL FITTON 7 (100) MICHAEL VAN GERWEN 3 (95)
    TONY O’SHEA 4 (97) MARTIN ADAMS 7 (100)
    the group with the best darts to date. van gerwen brought back down to earth with a bang, and it'll make qualification very tough for him, he'll need to win and hope fitton wins, but I believe adams has a great record against fitton.

Thursday:

RAYMOND BARNEVELD 7 (95) PAUL HOGAN 5 (83)
    ROLAND SCHOLTEN 7 (93) RONNIE BAXTER 6 (90)
    - scholten joins barney in the quarters, baxter missed 7 darts to win

PHIL TAYLOR 6 (97) JELLE KLAASEN 7 (86)
    COLIN LLOYD 7 (98) SHAUN GREATBATCH 5 (96)
    - taylor's mediocre (for him) form continues, supposed to be struggling on the doubles and klaasen made him pay, lloyd squeezes through to quarters

GARY ROBSON 7 (84) GARY ANDERSON 2 (83)
    TED HANKEY 7 (96) SIMON WHITLOCK 2 (90)

MARTIN ADAMS 7 (102) DARRYL FITTON 3 (96)
    - adams storms into the quarter-finals. result means van gerwen has to win by 7-2 or better to pass fitton
    TONY O’SHEA 2 (105) MICHAEL VAN GERWEN 7 (106)
    - the boy wonder sets the place alight again, awesome performance apparently to take him to the quarters.

QUARTER-FINALS LINE-UP: FRIDAY, MAY 12
    BEST OF 11 SETS (3 LEGS PER SET)

RAYMOND BARNEVELD (NED) v MICHAEL VAN GERWEN (NED)
    PHIL TAYLOR (ENG) v SIMON WHITLOCK (AUS)
    TED HANKEY (ENG) v COLIN LLOYD (ENG)
    MARTIN ADAMS (ENG) v ROLAND SCHOLTEN (NED)

• Advertisement

Barney against Van Gerwen should be a great match if Van Gerwen can keep his current form up. Its a tough one to call. I think Taylor should beat Whitlock who I have never been overly impressed with. Hanky against Lloyd should be a tight one as well. I think Adams might have just that bit much for Scholten.

Advertisement