Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post locked why? Football or Soccer?

Options
  • 21-02-2006 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Just posted with a poll on the Soccer board asking why its soccer and not football and the mod locked it. Why?

I raised the issue that he expained why its soccer. He is in Engerland from his location and yet said "Because we are in IRELAND where Football is often as not a GAA sport. If you have a particular issue with this then please raise it in feedback, the place for such queries"

Why?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50921758#post50921758

Football or Soccer

Just looking at this the last while with the United Liverpool match coming and going.

Just wanted to know why its called soccer? People call it football more often than soccer. I know that soccer is an abbreviation of association football or something like that and I know the whole confusion of Gaelic Football situation.

BUT the national body for football in Ireland is the FOOTBALL Association of Ireland. The Irish Clubs tend to have FC after them and not SC, so why oh why do we have to put up with the "soccer" forum as if we are in the states?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I have said why I locked it on thread, I suggested you open a thread here and ask the question there. What is the problem ?

It was the Admins idea to set up the board, they are the people who will be better placed to answer your question.

And does it deserve the two threads aswell ? Genius :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

I made a mistake - sorry bout the other thread. Can you delete it please.

I have no problem with the poll being moved, but would the "soccer" board not be a better place to discuss the name of the board as every football boardie would read it and have a chance to vote. Then the smods and yourself could amend the title if it was needed and the majority said to call it football. I would have no problemif the board said to keep it soccer.

It just seemed a little totalitarian that the minute a poll about name change went up, it was locked

I directed you to the place where you can get an answer to your question which was, why is it called the soccer board and closed the thread. And here's me thinking I was being helpful. As for a decision on what it should be called, how about you get an answer to your question first and then see if there is a reason why it is not called football before you find out if it can be changed to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

I directed you to the place where you can get an answer to your question which was, why is it called the soccer board and closed the thread. And here's me thinking I was being helpful. As for a decision on what it should be called, how about you get an answer to your question first and then see if there is a reason why it is not called football before you find out if it can be changed to that.

Thanks for that. Sorry but in the soccer thread that wasn't made clear and I didn't realise that the admin named the threads and not a Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

BUT the national body for football in Ireland is the FOOTBALL Association of Ireland. The Irish Clubs tend to have FC after them and not SC, so why oh why do we have to put up with the "soccer" forum as if we are in the states?

"I say waiter, I say waiter"

"Mmm Yes Sir?"

"Look dash it all and I hate to be a bother but, well could I trouble you to get me a new teacup?"

"What appears to be the trouble Sir?"

"Well here's the thing there appears to be a nasty little storm brewing it, and it's interfering with Mrs Blatherdash's hat"

"Mmmm so I see Sir, one moment and I'll replace it"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Just posted with a poll on the Soccer board asking why its soccer and not football and the mod locked it. Why??

good lord
    surely there is something more pressing in your life that requires attention,
    other than being on here whinging about something like this?

btw Admins
    if you even think of changing the name to football
    there will be some major questions as to why it's not soccer!!

Beruthiel wrote:
    good lord
    surely there is something more pressing in your life that requires attention,
    other than being on here whinging about something like this?

btw Admins
    if you even think of changing the name to football
    there will be some major questions as to why it's not soccer!!

TBH ruthie, I think you are wrong, I huge majority of people who post on the soccer forum would not care whether or not it was called the kicking the bladder forum as long as they could talk about people kicking said inflated bladder.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

time > sense.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement