Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are people taking South Park too seriously?

• 21-02-2006 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭

You may have read in the news lately about the uproar that is currently spreading across American and now in New Zealand about an episode of South Park involving the Virgin Mary. It has been taken off the air in the US but comedy central say that the episode is not shelved by any means.

If you're not familiar with the episode, all I can say is that it involves a bleeding statue of the Virgin Mary which is seen as a miracle causing flocks of people to go to worship it and maybe benefit from its healing power.

I think its hilarious. I call myself a catholic (not practicing, i.e. I don't go to church every week) but I take religion with a pinch of salt now as I feel you have to now with a religion that is thousands of years old and run by, well, older generations.

What do you guys think? Have they gone too far or are people just taking things too seriously as usual?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Dr. Dodger wrote:
    You I think its hilarious. I call myself a catholic (not practicing, i.e. I don't go to church every week) but I take religion with a pinch of salt now as I feel you have to now with a religion that is thousands of years old and run by, well, older generations.

What do you guys think? Have they gone too far or are people just taking things too seriously as usual?

I would've thought that people were taking too things seriously when they starting rioting over a few danish cartoons.

Compared to that, how can anybody not call this a reasonable reaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

It's the way things are going... It'd be hard to ignore the recent Muslim uproar in this case. Christians (of the insane American variety) see this and say "well **** you, if the Muslims can complain about parodying their religion then we will do". Of course it misses the important point regarding the muslims that their religion specifically states that Mohammed cannot be represented visually*.

* that not I condone or agree with the censorhip of those cartoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I love South Park. I also have strong religious beliefs (Im Catholic). Now to be honest - some episodes haven't been to my taste (not just anti-catholic ones) and I generally get the vibe and change the channel.

Why watch something if you know you won't enjoy it? I find the vast, vast majority of episodes hilarious so I would never complain about the ones I don't enjoy / the ones that offend me, because I know some of the ones I enjoy offend other people.

South Park loves to take the offensive line - its like that Aristocrats joke - how offensive can you be before people have had enough? People need to see South Park for what it is and either enjoy it or avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i thought that episode was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i thought that episode was brilliant

as did I.. the whole alcoholism plot was brilliantly done...
    although i was VERY disappointed when the pope arrived and they didnt make him look like the emperor from star wars..

As a non practising catholic it didnt offend me at all. Its only a cartonn ffs. South Park is bound to offend someone or other eventually, so there's no point in getting worked up about it. It's not like next week they're going to be taking another shot at catholocism, its not a continued thing...

*EDIT* more on it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_%28South_Park%29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

At the end of the day, they're just cartoons. They don't do any harm in my opinion. Its up to the individual to make up his or her own mind and make the decision there and then to change the channel/turn the page or stop listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10369363

Yes people are taking cartoons way too seriously.

How many Irish jokes are their in these cartoons?

The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad etc all have Irish Jokes, which we should really find insulting but we don't because it's called having a sence of humour.

"From what I've heard of it, I'd consider it quite offensive personally but, if the network proceeds, they are going to have to deal with the public debate around it.

"As a woman I find it offensive."

the least she could do is watch it before passing judgement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mossy Monk wrote:
    the least she could do is watch it before passing judgement

To be fair she's not calling for the episode to be banned in NZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

South Park recently issued a promo where they apologised to all the races, religions, creeds and classes that they have yet to offend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I love South Park. I also have strong religious beliefs (Im Catholic). Now to be honest - some episodes haven't been to my taste (not just anti-catholic ones) and I generally get the vibe and change the channel.

Why watch something if you know you won't enjoy it? I find the vast, vast majority of episodes hilarious so I would never complain about the ones I don't enjoy / the ones that offend me, because I know some of the ones I enjoy offend other people.

South Park loves to take the offensive line - its like that Aristocrats joke - how offensive can you be before people have had enough? People need to see South Park for what it is and either enjoy it or avoid it.

I find I share the exact same views. I do find that sometimes South Park is distasteful and I will switch it off, but I do find it entertaining and will watch it quite often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The episode aired here in NZ last Tuesday! Had 7 times the viewing audience, most people dont give a feck about it here just the church having a good cry, they have much bigger problems than south park to deal with imho.

The episode aired here in NZ last Tuesday! Had 7 times the viewing audience

goes to show, all publicity is good publicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Annoying retard whingers. It's what they do all day, sit around being offended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

south park is top class
    it should not be taken so seriously:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I haven't seen the episode in question nor have I heard any of the controversy surrounding it but having seen quite a bit of South Park in recent times (thanks to finally getting Sky) having previously never bothered with the show, I have to say it goes to far sometimes, to the point of offensiveness and beyond. Now I'm a liberal guy and take most things with a pinch of salt or try to see the funny and light hearted side of things, but IMO South Park is out of line more often than not, an episode about Cartman pretending to be handicapped/disabled as to be able to enter the special olympics was just generally offensive and shocking to be honest.

I personally believe there are some subjects which are taboo and shoudn't be fodder for comedy at full stop, poor people with diseases, disadvantaged people and racial issues just don't hold amusement for me. I think it speaks volumes for the writers of the show and their comedic range when they resort to including characters in the show like Timmy and Jimmy who are there to be 'laughed' at because Jimmy and Timmy are physically impaired and Timmy also being mentally disadvantaged. Well, that's my two cents anyway, I probably sound like I'm a moral crusader but that's how I feel about this show..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

IMO South Park is out of line more often than not, an episode about Cartman pretending to be handicapped/disabled as to be able to enter the special olympics was just generally offensive and shocking to be honest.

I thought that episode was hilarious, and a lot of people I know did too, doesn't make us bad people. If I ever managed to be in the position where I had free reign to make a programme I would be aware a lot of people might be offended by it, but I wouldn't care. I like the way they don't care either. If there was nobody to push the boundaries and flirt with offensive humour then every show would be like Cosby or Who's The Boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Laguna wrote:
    I haven't seen the episode in question nor have I heard any of the controversy surrounding it but having seen quite a bit of South Park in recent times (thanks to finally getting Sky) having previously never bothered with the show, I have to say it goes to far sometimes, to the point of offensiveness and beyond. Now I'm a liberal guy and take most things with a pinch of salt or try to see the funny and light hearted side of things, but IMO South Park is out of line more often than not, an episode about Cartman pretending to be handicapped/disabled as to be able to enter the special olympics was just generally offensive and shocking to be honest.

I personally believe there are some subjects which are taboo and shoudn't be fodder for comedy at full stop, poor people with diseases, disadvantaged people and racial issues just don't hold amusement for me. I think it speaks volumes for the writers of the show and their comedic range when they resort to including characters in the show like Timmy and Jimmy who are there to be 'laughed' at because Jimmy and Timmy are physically impaired and Timmy also being mentally disadvantaged. Well, that's my two cents anyway, I probably sound like I'm a moral crusader but that's how I feel about this show..

I'm laughing just remembering that episode, pesonally I don't believe anything should be taboo for comedy purposes, everyone and everything is fair game, those who get on their moral high horse about something as facile as a cartoon should be singled out for further taunting until they develop a sense of humour or figure out or how to switch channels or understand that the humour is not so much in the making fun of jesus / mohammed / "special needs" children etc. but in the outrageous plots , situations, dialogues and actions of the characters dreamt up by the writers.

All this genre set out to amuse the majority by poking light hearted fun at those who take themselves to seriously, long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

growler wrote:
    I'm laughing just remembering that episode, pesonally I don't believe anything should be taboo for comedy purposes, everyone and everything is fair game, those who get on their moral high horse about something as facile as a cartoon should be singled out for further taunting until they develop a sense of humour or figure out or how to switch channels or understand that the humour is not so much in the making fun of jesus / mohammed / "special needs" children etc. but in the outrageous plots , situations, dialogues and actions of the characters dreamt up by the writers.

All this genre set out to amuse the majority by poking light hearted fun at those who take themselves to seriously, long may it continue.

People who don't find 'jokes' about people with disabilities or dehabilitating diseases should be
    growler wrote:
    singled out for further taunting until they develop a sense of humour

Yeah, okay I'll go with that one. I take it you don't know anyone or have anyone in your family who suffers from such an affliction, because if you did you wouldn't find it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Laguna wrote:
    I think it speaks volumes for the writers of the show and their comedic range when they resort to including characters in the show like Timmy and Jimmy who are there to be 'laughed' at because Jimmy and Timmy are physically impaired and Timmy also being mentally disadvantaged.
    I disagree that they are laughed at just because of their disabilities. It's no more true to say that Cartman is funny just because he is fat. But maybe we should just ban all disabled people from comedies. Perhaps only white middle-aged men should be the subject of jokes.
    I take it you don't know anyone or have anyone in your family who suffers from such an affliction, because if you did you wouldn't find it funny.
    I do have friends with disabilities, and one thing they don't like is when people walk on eggshells around them because they are terrified of offending them. They just want to be treated like anyone else, and are well capable of taking a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

MrPinK wrote:
    I do have friends with disabilities, and one thing they don't like is when people walk on eggshells around them because they are terrified of offending them. They just want to be treated like anyone else, and are well capable of taking a joke.
    Agree 100% with that, sometimes people can be over-sensitive about topics, which can lead to the opposite effect of that intended - you end up (unconciously) making a big deal out of someone's disability, skin colour or whatever, which is usually not helpful. It creates a false atmosphere and tension between people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Actually, does anyone remember the episode of SP where the kids(along with Token, their black friend) goto capitol city to get rid of hate crime laws because they just remind people of other peoples differences?

It was kinda making a good point, as the other posters are mentioning above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I saw 'Follow that Egg' last night from season 9. Thought it was excellent. (Mrs) Garrisson is top quality in this episode, anyone recommend some episodes to me please?

I like South Park and I hope that people that are oh so easily offended these days grow up, stop whinging about pointless crap. PC brigade are the worst form of censorship since the Nazis. Next we will have to ban Christmas in case it offends other religions.

GAAAAAH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Laguna wrote:

take a look at this. .3gp format. plays in real player or quicktime.
    apologies for the poor quality. it was done on a camera phone and we were all drunk. a brief description:it's my friend jerome trying to do an impression of cartman and my other friend damien trying to do an imitation of timmy. damien is the one on the wheelchair. he's has been wheelchair bound since birth.
    i think parker and stone are brilliant writers and the social and political commentary portrayed in the cartoons is brilliant.
    on the topical episodes, you should always listen out for the "you know, i learned something today" part. it sums up the episode in a couple of lines.
    the episode was more about steroid abuse than anything else, especially the use of steroids by baseball players. cartman, the fat little racist narcissist that he is, lost every competition he was in.

as for the "bloody mary" episode, i don't think it was shown here. i saw it elsewhere and laughed my ass off at it. someone already mentioned the alcoholism sub-plot. that was hilarious. it just takes the piss out of people who take things to extremes and the popes line at the end was brilliant too.
    something along the lines of: a woman bleeding out her ass isn't a miracle. most women do that every month.

Advertisement