Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ok house

Options
  • 21-02-2006 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey guys what's happening in the OK house. Lots of activity there for the last few weeks. Some say it's a new newspaper. Anyone hear anything. Are the Voice moving into town.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Hey guys what's happening in the OK house. Lots of activity there for the last few weeks. Some say it's a new newspaper. Anyone hear anything. Are the Voice moving into town.

Nearly across from the KK People, Makes sense! I would not be surprised:p
    Write On Rathigan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Its another new but free paper called the Kilkenny Advertiser. I live in Galway and read the Galway Advertiser and there was an advert in it looking for staff for the new Kilkenny Advertiser on 60 High St.

Its an excellent paper - basically makes all its money from adverts. it has all the local news you need, plus great for jobs and accomodation.

There are no real successful paid for newspapers in Galway because of the Advertiser.

Probably get rid of 1 of the other 2 rags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Davy Morley

The people's reaction to that should be interesting. I hear they're bringing out their own freebie. That means cutting up some of the rubbish from their own paper and flogging it to us as a separate free paper. Hardly rocket science is it. It'll still be a mini-People and that's not what Kilkenny or Kilkenny business needs at the moment. Checked out the Galway paper with a mate of mine and it sounds to be just what KK needs. The scottish owners or whoever they are must reckon they know what's best. Can thye go on fooling the people

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

finlma wrote:
    There are no real successful paid for newspapers in Galway because of the Advertiser.

But isn't the tribune the most successful regional paper in the country?

But isn't the tribune the most successful regional paper in the country?

Thats for the whole of Connacht though - not just Galway. The Advertise is definitely the most popular paper in Galway and I can see the 1 in Kilkenny reducing sales of the other 2 rags significantly.

• Advertisement

finlma wrote:
    Thats for the whole of Connacht though - not just Galway. The Advertise is definitely the most popular paper in Galway

How do you define popular? If you charged €1.50 for the Advertiser, would it sell as many copies as the Tribune does? Hardly.

How do you define popular? If you charged €1.50 for the Advertiser, would it sell as many copies as the Tribune does? Hardly.

By popular I mean the most widely read. Of course it wouldn't do well if you had to pay for it but thats the whole point of the paper - its free.

It will have a huge effect on sales of the KP and the KV.

finlma wrote:
    By popular I mean the most widely read.

Well, Im open to correction on this, but doesn't the Tribune have a readership of around 130,000 weekly (as opposed to circulation), compared to 115,000 for the Advertiser? As I said, Im open to correction, but remember seeing those figures in a magazine before.

Didn't the Advertiser got a slap on the wrist last year by the ABC for bullsh!tting about their readership — they claimed they had readership of 220,000 per week!!!

There's Monga again, our friend from the Galway Tribune. Let's set a date so MOnga. The ABC figures will be out in a few weeks time. Meet you here and then and let's see what the figures are. At last count the Advertsier in Galway had an audited circulation of at least 55,000. The trubine has one of about 30,000 and even that's not real as they don't count returns. The independent has about 48,000 so who's getting their ass kicked here. Old money. Old values and old business practises. Who's being left behind in this new found bout of energy among Galway's newspapers. I see the Indo are going to Limerick and the Advertsier are moving as well, I think. Monga, I'm sure you remember the newsroom meeting ye all had a few years ago when you were shocked to ehar that the tribune circualtion figures were down and the adv were up and the independent were up. remember, the doors being kicked by your absent freind. The ABC figures don't lie. Accept it, you are in a minoroty of self dillussionment. Take away the sport and those figures would be even less.

Davy, that's what I want to see is actual figures. I did say I was open to correction in the other thread (its gettin kinda confusing between the two). Also, I don't work there, but I know someone very well who does, and this is a regular talking point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Davy and Monga - can you take your little arguement elsewhere?

This is the Kilkenny section. Am pretty sure 99% of the people who use this section couldnt give a toss about the circulation figures of two newspapers in Galway.

By the way, the audited figures for newspapers based in Galway are:

Connacht Sentinel 7,634*
    Connacht Tribune & City Tribune 27,266*
    Tuam Herald 10,197
    Galway Advertiser 55,000
    Galway Independent 49,658

Source*: ABC J-J'05
    Source: JNRS 2004/2005

Now let that be the end of it.

sorry mick. Just didn't want a tribune mole letting on he was neutral when he wasn't. Bye

Advertisement