Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruitarians

• 21-02-2006 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering has anyone ever met/heard of someone who's a fruitarian? I wouldn't do it myself but it's interesting all the same. Do their lifestyles extend to everyday objects like clothes, paper, wooden furniture etc? I doubt it would.

What do you guys think of the fruitarian diet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bonzo82

It's just a dietary thing, and it's really not sustainable, as you can't realistically live on fruit and only fruit for any length of time. There's no real reason/benefits as far as I can see either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As usual wiki has a good enough page about it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism
    Always read the discussion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Whatever about a vegetarian or vegan trying to eat out, imagine being a fruitarian and trying to find something suitable in a bar/restaurant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

bonzo82 wrote:
    It's just a dietary thing, and it's really not sustainable, as you can't realistically live on fruit and only fruit for any length of time. There's no real reason/benefits as far as I can see either.

Muhatma Gandhi was a frutarian for around two years, he even refused to eat pulses! That man was so so brilliant. I heard... that if you like retreat to the mountains away from cars and stuff for a while and eat only organic fruit your body starts coughing up or pooing out all the bad stuff stored in it.

I've been meanin for ages to go on a 'juice diet'... but I've got the whole leaving cert buzz going on at the moment, so things are a little hectic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

hmm, check out the next step: The Breatharian

• Advertisement

Muhatma Gandhi was a frutarian for around two years, he even refused to eat pulses! That man was so so brilliant. I heard... that if you like retreat to the mountains away from cars and stuff for a while and eat only organic fruit your body starts coughing up or pooing out all the bad stuff stored in it.

I've been meanin for ages to go on a 'juice diet'... but I've got the whole leaving cert buzz going on at the moment, so things are a little hectic.

Ah yeah, you could definitely do it for a while, and fruit is indeed a cleanser for the bod, all that fibre and fluid is bound to flush out all the crap. Two years is a bit much, but sure, Gandhi could probably pull it off alright!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

As usual wiki has a good enough page about it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism
    Always read the discussion!

I really enjoyed this one towards the end of the discussion section:

'Rename "Friggin Morons Who Eat Fruit Because They're Weak and Stupid"
    I really wonder just how much the reputation of wikipedia is improved by cataloging all the most esoteric and stupid human ideas and treating them like they're serious propositions worthy of academic record. These people are fruitcakes who haven't got anything more interesting to offer than an eating disorder. Now, I'm sure there's alot of diversity and multicultural left-wing crap to take into account around here, but even that shouldn't mean that we have to article every single nutty idea that has three followers living in a commune in Chipping Norton. All of these dumb ideas should be listed under a single article called "Crazy Crap that has no impact on the progress of mankind".--Corinthian 20:31, 20 February 2006 (UTC)'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

When I was reading it, I skipped to that one first.
    Good old corinthian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ssss

Samos wrote:
    I really enjoyed this one towards the end of the discussion section:

I really wonder just how much the reputation of wikipedia is improved by cataloging all the most esoteric and stupid human ideas and treating them like they're serious propositions worthy of academic record. These people are fruitcakes who haven't got anything more interesting to offer than an eating disorder. Now, I'm sure there's alot of diversity and multicultural left-wing crap to take into account around here, but even that shouldn't mean that we have to article every single nutty idea that has three followers living in a commune in Chipping Norton. All of these dumb ideas should be listed under a single article called "Crazy Crap that has no impact on the progress of mankind".--Corinthian 20:31, 20 February 2006 (UTC)'

I can tell you're a very smart person with a lot of interesting views on things from this post.

Sorry, I meant you're a bigoted kunt with ****ing nothing useful to say at all. **** off back to your cosy little hole and leave the rest of society alone you twat. WHAT ARE YOU TALKIN ABOUT YOU MUPPET!!!!

ssss wrote:
    I can tell you're a very smart person with a lot of interesting views on things from this post.

Sorry, I meant you're a bigoted kunt with ****ing nothing useful to say at all. **** off back to your cosy little hole and leave the rest of society alone you twat. WHAT ARE YOU TALKIN ABOUT YOU MUPPET!!!!

Whereas your retort of course SSSS, made you sound highly intelligent!

• Advertisement

ssss wrote:

Eh he didn't write that he is quoting fom the discussion page and you took it the wrong way.

Also, please don't insult people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

My problem with it isn't from a dietary perspective but, rather, that there's no ethical incentive like there is with vegetarianism. Frankly, I can't see why you'd further restrict yourself, other than on the basis of a "look at what I can do!" ego-trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I don't think it's a "Look what I can do" thing. It seems to be people who think that it's best to go basic and eat our "stone age diet". Wouldn't do it myself though, you'd have to be really strict about what you eat.

ssss wrote:

If you were able to read more carefully, you would have seen that I was quoting directly. Be more cautious in future before you spread unwarranted abuse... The only person you are insulting is yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

I've never met one in real life and the only place I ever heard of one before was an article on the news a few years ago about a fruitarian couple who's baby died bacause of the diet. I'd say there was something wrong with the kid in the first place though, but of the article was all like LOOK WHAT THESE CRAZY NUTTERS DID TO THEIR BAAAABEEEE!!! I don't even know what country that was supposed to have happened in or even if it was true. Anyway, I wouldn't go on that diet, but I did feel a twing of guilt about eating sprouts the other day. They're just so...alive when you eat them! One moment they're growing away - and the next MUNCH! In my belly!
    I'm talking about these by the way, not brussels sprouts
    biosnacky-glass-small.gif
    starterpack.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

ssss wrote:

Banned. Jesus. Did anyone report this, or did it happen during the brief time the report button wasn't sending e-mails?

Also, DireBadger, please link to information. You cannot say 'I'd say there was something wrong with the kid in the first place though, but of the article was all like LOOK WHAT THESE CRAZY NUTTERS DID TO THEIR BAAAABEEEE!!!' without giving us any clue as to why you would consider the baby had some sort of congenital defect rather than just suffering from malnutrutuion. And it's true by the way- a baby's iron sources are used up by 6 mths. If you don't start to wean them, and wean them properly from then, they can die from malnutrition.

Shabadu wrote:
    Banned. Jesus. Did anyone report this, or did it happen during the brief time the report button wasn't sending e-mails?

Don't think anyone bothered... it didn't really affect me to be honest.

I don't bother reporting until the second time somebody says something offensive in here. They usually don't after the warning.
    On another note, I love your username, Samos, go Pythagoras! :)

I don't bother reporting until the second time somebody says something offensive in here. They usually don't after the warning.
    On another note, I love your username, Samos, go Pythagoras! :)

Not just Pythagoras, but Epicurus and Aristarchus too! I like your name too... Bit of a Tolkien fan, are you?

Just so that I don't veer off topic, I'll just say: I love fruit!

It's just that Pythagoras was the best one, I mean, vegetarians were called after him for hundreds of years. :)
    Yes, a 'bit', may be an understatement. :P

I love fruit.
    >_>
    <_<

• Advertisement

He's been site banned due to general tardness. Dudes, please report if someone does something like that again & I haven't seen it. I do appreciate the fact that ye warned him, but what if he did it again on another thread and I warned him rather than banning etc.

Isn't fruit great?

I must say I do have alot in common with Pythagoras: a love and appreciation of mathematics and music in addition to the vegetarianism. However, I do have a huge soft spot for Epicurus and the principles of his simple and eloquent philosophy.

Oh, and I absolutely adore melons, but find that the most popular fruits, apples and oranges, leave me rather disappointed. They always seem like a chore...

There is nothing better than eating an apple with a knife.
    Do not mock my love. :(

:)

Reported in future. Got you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The bigger the knife and apple, the better.

Nothing like carving off slices from a pumpkin with your scythe around October.

SyxPak wrote:
    The bigger the knife and apple, the better.

Nothing like carving off slices from a pumpkin with your scythe around October.
    Only you could make fruit eating manly.

Advertisement