Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best newspaper in Galway and why

Options
  • 21-02-2006 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

What's the best newspaper in Galway and why. Are there many. are they freee etc?:D :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭IrishAirCorps

Galway Advertiser and Galway Independent are free mate

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The Advertiser and Independent are fine if you want to read peoples press releases.

I think the City Tribune is by far the best ... there's actually news content which seems to be researched, as opposed to the other papers where the press releases are buried among ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

Have to agree about the City Tribune. The sentinel aint bad on a tuesday either. Most of the same staff I think. Advertiser has some decent journalists for a free paper but recycles far too many press releases - ala todays F Fahy front page headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Davy Morley

Thanks for that. I got more info from other places. Found out the Tribune had 20 journalists though and they still have a lot of press release stuff too. Am doing a project on the whole thing and it seems that the free one on a Thursday has more self generated stories than all the rest. The tribune on a Thursday has 60 per cent district notes and the one on a Friday 25 per cent and also had 27 press release stories. The other papers had far less journalists too. Independent have three and Advertiser six so the Tribune has almopst four times as many. Not very efficient when you look at it scientifically. Most of the surveys I have had sent back seem to suggest this. Thanks for all your help with this.

• Advertisement

Hey,

That's very interesting. Can you post up all your results? What is the research you are doing for?

In fairness to the Tribune, if you take a look through obvious press release stories and compare to Advertiser you can see the Trib do a bit of digging and give some background on the story and don't just reprint verbatim.

Thanks for that. I got more info from other places. Found out the Tribune had 20 journalists though and they still have a lot of press release stuff too. Am doing a project on the whole thing and it seems that the free one on a Thursday has more self generated stories than all the rest. The tribune on a Thursday has 60 per cent district notes and the one on a Friday 25 per cent and also had 27 press release stories. The other papers had far less journalists too. Independent have three and Advertiser six so the Tribune has almopst four times as many. Not very efficient when you look at it scientifically. Most of the surveys I have had sent back seem to suggest this. Thanks for all your help with this.

How do you know if the stories are generated in-house or if they are press releases. If your going by whether or not there's a by-line on the piece, then your making a huge error, because you will see many press releases in the Advertiser with a reporter's byline slapped on top.

Also, Ive regularly noticed that many Tribune stories are used in the Advertiser the following week, sometimes with very little changes made. Reminds me of a story I heard once from a friend who works in the Tribune. She was saying that a story appeared in the Sentinel one week about the cops looking for witnesses to an assault, and the Tribune phone number was accidentally given as the number for Mill Street at the end of the article. Two days later the Advertiser strangely made the same error :o)

How did you reach those comparative figures between the Tribune and the Advertiser? Are you counting column inches, because I took a look at both over the weekend and even a cursory glance can see your figures are waaaay out. Are you only counting news content or counting sports etc also?

If you are drawing comparisons, I think it needs to be like for like — column inches versus column inches.

You seem to look on district notes as a bad thing — emm.... don't they MAKE a local paper local, same as local courts, local sports news and local hard news?

Really don't know where you're coming from on this (project).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

i love the sentinel for the crossword but the advertiser is my favourite especially ask amy she's the greatest

How are they all in the tribune Monga. You seem to have a tribune tread in all your postings. You most know a lot of be one of the many staff there. I have nothing against the tribune or the advertiser or the independent. It's just that the circulation figures show the tribune decreasing in all of the last four or five surveys while the Independent and the Advertiser are growing massively. So for someone who likes their press releases touched up and reqritten, you seem to be in a minoroty. The fact is four times as many people read the Advertsier than any of the tribune titles while twice the number of I ndependents are read compared to any tribune titles. It seems they are over staffed and underutilised. Did they lose their boss there lately as well. What's the story with that. Like to enlighten us, Monga. Or ask your friend?

No, my g/f's best friend works there. Have you any linkies to back up you claims on the figures. I find them hard to believe.

• Advertisement

Hi Monga. Should not be so interested in your gfriend's best friend (lol) Anyway mate, don't want to fall out with ya so we'll be guided by the next abc or whatever you call them figures. We'll have a pint on it. If the tribs are as high as you say and the indo and advrtiser's so low, then I'll buy you a pint or two and vice versa and versa vica. Is it a deal. Now, hurry back there and carry on with the paper like a good man (jC is looking for you) because you've sent more than your IP address in the file info section. Tee hee hee. If you want to be anonymous, then be anonymous. Want me to print it in my next log. Let me know, mate.

Well, I know some people hate to let facts get in the way of their world outlook but the Con Trib's sales for as of June/July 05 are still mighty respectable at 27,300 (down 1,000 from same time in '04) and are still pretty impressive in the face of the fierce competition from the GA and GIndo.

Check out the full official tale of the tape at

http://www.abc-ireland.ie/pdf/ireland/the_island_of_ireland_report_2005-06.pdf

The freebies are circulating about 21,000 each and it is interesting to note the GA advertising content is 75% compared to the GIndo's 51%. Though I think most people would say the GA has better news/culture coverage?

Even more interesting is the Trib has made and had complaints upheld against both freebie papers for their improper use of the ABC figures.

http://www.abce.org.uk/pdf/abcm_nov2005.pdf
    page 14/15

Both freebie groups are obviously doing well anyway so it should be interesting to see how other local papers deal with the new competition and will Dublin be the next target or have the Metro and Herald AM beat them to it?

BTW dave morely, you obviously know more than you were letting on. Asking people which papers are free when you're cleary up to speed with the scene in Galway and who works where!? What you playing at?

Hi Toffeeman,
    It is great to live in a world of denial. I do not know whay you are defending the indefensible here. And I do not know why I am defending free papers here as opposed to paid fors. But in Galway the free papers have an audited circulation of 46000 for the Galway independent and 56000 for the Galway Advertiser. Of course half the Galway Indos are left in the shops and you cannot get an advertiser for love or money, but the audited figures show
    Please try and read the statistics properly. The ABC figures are the ones that are delivered door to door, about 26000 for the advertisers and 21,000 for the independent. That is the figure you are reading I think. You have not checked the ABC/VFD figures which add another 30,000 onto that. I do not want to fall out with anyone over this, but I have done my research. I have a wager with monga over this. Do you want to join in/ We are going to meet where when the next abc figures come out and be guided by those figures. Are you on for this too. A scoop or two my friend? One would hope that the analysis of the overall circualtion of the enwspapers that you have made is not indicative of the level of reporting in Galway or maybe you are just reading too many well-reserrched press releases. Denial denial denial. ignorance is bliss. PS excuse my typing.
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

advestier and independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

http://www.nakedgalway.tk/ by a long shot.

The other papers just kill a bit of time...the trick is to bin them once you've read them and pulled out the cinema timetables. That way they dont lie around your house advertising stuff for weeks like those feckin fliers they stuff through the letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TipTopToe

toffeeman wrote:
    Well, I know some people hate to let facts get in the way of their world outlook but the Con Trib's sales for as of June/July 05 are still mighty respectable at 27,300 (down 1,000 from same time in '04) and are still pretty impressive in the face of the fierce competition from the GA and GIndo.
    You can get more information at www.medialive.com as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TipTopToe

TipTopToe wrote:
    You can get more information at www.medialive.com as well...
    Nuts sorry thats www.medialive.ie, not .com

Just saw that the abc figures are out and as I predicted they show that the Galway Indo and Galway Advetriser far outweigh the trib in circulation. Theyre all online so they can be seen, In fact both the conn tribune and connact sentinel registered a small decrease in readership. The indo has 21000 door to door and about 28000 bulk delivery. the advertiser has 22000 door to door and about 35,000 bulk so it has the biggest spread and I suppsoe the fact that they are all snapped up and not half them left around likle the indo is, makes them the most read newspaper in galway. so that ends this thread then. Thanks for all your help everyone. By the wya, its gas that ever sicne I outed monga as a tribune journo and threatened to name him online that he has not psoted. Not in his own name anyway. C'mon out with yer new identity. Or maybe not with the shame of these decreasing figures. Imagine, more and more journos and less and less readers. Mines a Bud

Advertisement