Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing cars from the UK ..Considerations!!

Options
  • 21-02-2006 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

A couple of years ago I Imported a Toyota Cololla from the Uk to over here

People in the Uk tend to look after their Cars better then people here and the roads in the Uk are Arguably better and at that time in 2000 there was no NCT in place where as the UK had the MOT and with a higher spec then the Irish one so it seemd a great idea to import the car at the time !!

However .. as time went on and the car needed Services and bits and bobs it was a disatser ..In the UK they salt the roads this result in every Untreated Nut and Bolt being corroaded ,exhaust ,etc and even rusted through
    even the Simplest Jobs of Removing any nut was a nightmare as i was afraid of Rounding the Bolts when any sort of pressure was applied to them as they were so rusted
    when i came to sell the car everyone viewed it with suspicion as it was a Uk import and it was WAY more difficult to sell then an "Irish" one
    so just be careful when you do it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Thanks for the post mate. Importing a car myself tomorrow so your post is timely. I will double check for signs of rust underneath.

I'm confident about this car though because it was imported from Japan to the uk in 04 so hopefully the rust won't have gotten through too much by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Whatcha buying Dagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Jap 1994 Celica GT ST202 in red. 72,000K (45,000 miles), FSH since imported in 04, HPI check verified, all MOT documents, V5, etc. Seller seems genuine to boot, and it looks mint. But we'll find out the truth tomorrow. :cool:

Finally decided to take the plunge Jay and give the Celica a whirl for a while. I'll probably want another Civic after a year or two though ;)

Stay tuned for pics + details of my experience on Thurs/Friday.

Advertisement