Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish

Options
  • 21-02-2006 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Hate to start a new thread again but this isn't actually looking for help - I'm beyond that! xD I know I am going to fail and there's not much I can do about it but I was wondering...

What do we all think of Irish in here? I'm sure it's not just my school but there are hardly any REALLY GOOD teachers in Irish these days. You have you're average but compared to someone like my maths, science or german teacher it's ridiculous!

Not only lack of good teachers, but the course is actually impossible. The only A's are people who REALLY work for it throughout the year. There's no '1 or 2 long questions and some short questions'...EVERY question is difficult. You've got essays, interviews, debates etc. which to non-fluent speakers is very hard.

Ok, maybe I am just speaking for myself but I was much better at Irish coming out of primary school than I am not. I even ENJOYED it in primary school..I like the language just not the class. I used to know all the tenses, loads of verbs...

Sorry about this rant but feel free to use this thread to discuss Irish..

sheesh im really pissed off. my mock is on friday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭skapunkkeith

my irish was really hard, the aural was hard too, the first paper wasnt that hard but the poetry and stuff was arghhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to your parents / teacher / principal and say that you expect to fail and you need help.

Perhaps you can get classes with another teacher or outside school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ketchup_please

i got grinds at the beginning of the year(still getting them) and now i am really good at irish

i found the mocks easy especially the aural lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭yourpetzombie

The Irish teachers in my school are generally crap. My teacher just gives us essays and gets us to write the same letters out over and over and over. Yawn. Anyway, I always hated Irish, but I went to the Gaeltacht last summer and my Irish improved so so much and now I actually like Irish. I went from like a C student to an A, so I'd recommend going if you have the opportunity to.

The cómhrá and aiste, and of course the litir on paper two are simple if you have the right material. Learn the vocab. for an argument and learn an agallamh and you're sorted for the comhrá. For the aiste, just know a few essays and you can mould them to fit the title and the litir is just simple.

If you want the 'A' and you're teacher is crap you have to immerse yourself in the language, I buy Foinse and Lá occasionally and read through everything - the comprehensions are from those afterall, and watch TG4. It'll help you so so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hi all,
    I did my Irish mocks paper today:eek: , at pass level. I taught it was a bit hard. Did anyone esle do theirs yet? What did you think? Is it just me or has it got harder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I did my Irish mock and it was very hard. Paper 1 I did crap in except for the reading comprehension and even then...In fairness though, the choices for question 1 on paper 1 were very good and varied, so most people did well in them I'd say. Except for me...I dunno how I got into higher but I'm gonna do it for my Junior and drop down to pass for my leaving.

My story was not even 6th class (primary school) standard IMO and was under a page...and my writing is kind of big. I did 'turas scoile' but the question said it was meant to be abroad but I didn't know that!

Paper 2 was just as hard for me and I only just finished my letter in time.

:( I failed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

I got 75% in my mock! I'm so happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've got mine tomorrow, higher level. I won't fail, I won't get an A either. The aural wasn't too bad. I'm not looking forward to the essay. The problem I have with it is that, we're not really learning to speak Irish, we're just memorising pages of it, whether or not it makes sense to us. That's why I can't really be bothered, I don't agree with it. Our teacher is pretty good, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Paper 1, I did an aiste lasting about a page, think I have real Irish, thast actually not a creation of my own...the comhra was pretty easy, and then. The compreghension. At this point you're meant to phrase it in your own words. Yeesh. I barely answered teh querstioins by finding a word in teh comprehension and copying out the sentence, never mind translating it in my mind...
    The aural was ok, I started watching Ros Na Run a while ago, it kind of helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Did anybody get a conversation question about reading the Harry Potter books or something like that? Our teacher told us that will be on ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

No, ours was nothing lie that. Paper 2 tomorrow, is it hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

We did not get anything about Harry Potter. I think all the different company's do different exam papers. It probably depends on which one your school goes for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I left out the letter section in the real thing, worth 10% not a good idea :P so check both sides of your sheets etc... I managed to get a B anyway but still be careful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ali-queenb

a need help any1 no where i can just get an irish sceal about a fire..quick....and my irish teachers r good im in honurs cudnt b bothered thinkin a 1 tho gotta clean house 4 a german person!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It seems highly unlikely there are prewritten essays available on the internet... There are barely any decent irish-english dictionaries even.

But.. isn't it more effort to learn off an entire essay than to just write one?

Fire story, that could just be like... you woke up in the middle of the night, fire, screaming, smoke, got your family, ran out of the house, called fire brigade, put out the fire, went into neighbours and had tea, blah blah. Or if it wasn't long enough you could put in a trip to the hospital. Not really that complicated. Then get your irish teacher to correct it so the grammar is good, and you're set. You'll remember it more easily because you wrote it, and it'll help you more than memorising something off.

But that's just my little rant on the topic.

suppose ur rite just im just real lazy and hopeless at putting a sentence together and tiny writin only in 2nd yr andhav 2 have 2-3 pages???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

1 to 2 pages as far as I can remember. Jaysus I couldn't write a three page Irish story...

If you're in second year you've got loads of time to learn to put sentences together and the like, being lazy now is only gonna make it harder later on tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It sucks learning off essays, that just shows that you have a good memory, it doesnt tell the examiner anything about your competency at written Irish.

yea actually took ur advice and wrote 3 pages (copy pages dat is!) didint take me long and ur rite it is better tanx!

Advertisement