Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can anyone recommend a new car?

Options
  • 21-02-2006 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

My budget is 18 - 22000...looking at Ford Focus hatch, Nissan Almera saloon, Renault Megane Saloon, Citroen C4 coupe or four door...anything else I should consider, or which one of these would anyone recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

golf? Civic?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

avoid the Almera at all costs. terrible resale value, clangy doors, and well off the pace of the best in the class,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

just on the C4 Coupe - saw one of those the other day and thought it looked great. One disadvantage is it has the worst rear window wiper I've ever seen. The rear window is near vertical and acquires a lot of dirt and the wiper only clears a tiny portion of it.

I drive a Focus 1.4 LX regularly and it is a great handling car but the engine is gutless the car is unrefined and the ride is hard. The interior is also terribly boring and even though it's well built some trim (eg door cards) is ugly and plasticky.

As already stated avoid the Almera, it's old hat.

The Megane is just about to receive a subtle facelift so hold out for that if you're buying one. The Megane will probably be the best car in its class for equipment and comfort, also the slaoon is a lot of car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If I where you I'd go with a golf comfortline for teh w1n :D nice car with good re-sale value. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

Go for the Focus, Toyota or VW

Don't go near French cars or Nissan which is now French too

• Advertisement

anyone mentioned the O****ia yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there's always the Mazda3.

Yes! Mazda3 is a great choice, all the good bits of the Focus without the dullness of the new model! resale value might be an issue though!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The best handling car in it's class is dull?

A Corolla is dull. A Focus is a riot on wheels by comparison.

lift off oversteer, yipee!

the focus interior and exterior is coma inducing, in a Golf kinda way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A matter of opinion really. I find Focus interiors comfortable and practical. Tough too.

Works of modern art they are not, but it's a mass market motor after all.

Handling wise, I've yet to drive anything better in it's class. The ride comfort/road holding compromise is spot on and the wheel location and articulation under cornering unequalled. The motoring press agree with me on all this I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

second hand leon 1.8T or 130bhp Tdi..or an altea 1.9tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The thing is though that most people in the market for these cars, Corolla, Golf, Focus, etc don't buy them because they are the best drivers car in their class. Things like practicality, safety, economy, comfort and reliability are more at the top of list by your average Joe Public than looks or drivability.

I'd have a Leon over a Golf. It pains me that the main reason people buy a Golf is that it won't lose much money on resale values, apart from this - the interior plastics are the only reason I'd buy one.

bazz26 wrote:
    The thing is though that most people in the market for these cars, Corolla, Golf, Focus, etc don't buy them because they are the best drivers car in their class. Things like practicality, safety, economy, comfort and reliability are more at the top of list by your average Joe Public than looks or drivability.

I agree. It also partially explains why the Focus sells so well. Good handling doesn't mean manners on a race track or extreme situations to most. It's a feeling of a car being rock solid on the road. Even average drivers notice this very quickly.

The criteria you used above can almost be taken for granted on any of the cars mentioned.

but the new Focus is just a dull version of the old one (with some Mondeo bits thrown in!!!)

100% new bodyshell and interior. Some new engines. You are gravely mistaken Colm.

It's also the acknowledged class leader btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Handing doesn't make a car. You also have to consider the fact the half the popuation of this country drive a Focus. BORING!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    but the new Focus is just a dull version of the old one (with some Mondeo bits thrown in!!!)

It definately doesnt strike you like the old one, which manages to still look freash 7 years on (unlike say a corolla/almera of the same vintage). The design of the new one grows on you a bit though, and the saloon one is particularly a step forward.

My father, who isnt a rally driver by any standard always complains that the avensis is nothing like as good to drive as my (old) mondeo. It is much faster, and less work on the main roads, but god awful on twisty regional roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

colm_mcm wrote:
    Yes! Mazda3 is a great choice, all the good bits of the Focus without the dullness of the new model! resale value might be an issue though!

Really wanted one but was hard to get one at a decent price. My mother got a 323 in 95 and services it in time for the NCT and it is still motoring well.

We got a 2005 Toyota Corolla last month and are happy so far.

As for French cars. I got a lift in a 307 a couple of weeks ago and the doors were clangy. They don't seem to have much cushioning on arounf the doors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I bought a Mazda3 last year. I was debating between it and a Focus, and in the end went with the Mazda3 because I felt the interior was nicer and it came in a couple of grand cheaper than the Focus. I've never regretted the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i bought this yesterday

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=313316

1.6 turbo diesel, great for overtaking and over 50mpg

its got everything, auto wipers, auto lights, self dipping rear view mirror, 4 disk breaks, cant wait to collect it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Wanted Man

Personally I like the appearance of the new look focus...It's like a more mature version of the the older focus...have seen the interiors and they seem alright to me...I'd rather have a car that looks good on the outside than the inside...

having said that the Mazda 3 also seems like a good car...and mazda have a good reputation for reliability and endurance...

I also like the renault megane saloon...

And the golf is a good car but there is a lot of them out there...

There is a wide selection for this money...I think regardless of what I choose it will be a fairly good car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭akw_old

why not get a new seat leon. they're €20,000, made by VW and are probably the same engine and interior as the new Golf. Oh and they look better than the new Golf too!

For €20,000 you could also get a 00/01 BMW 318 ci (the nice model, not like the rotten new one). Or a good Audi A3/A4. avoid the almera, and the megane saloon. Focus's are good cars but you'll have the same car as everyone else, thats what put me off getting one. everyone drives them, boring all the way. also don't touch a BMW 1 series.

Having said that, there are a fair amount of 318 ci's around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Are you determined to buy new? If not, why not something like this (http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=285812), or this (http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=255859), or even this (http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=366803)!

All well loaded, none of the huge new car depreciation, and all nice to drive!

I'd get a Corolla Luna 5dr (but I may be biassed)

Please check your private messages Wanted Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You can't go wrong with the new Ford focus, but go for the 1.6 zetec model. A few years ago you wouldn't here me singing Ford's praises but they certainly have got their act together at the moment. I sold a 1.6 zetec model to a customer of mine a few weeks ago and they are delighted with it. Put any thoughts of Renault or Peugeot out of your head though they really are junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Wanted Man

Have checked them Henry ... I'll have to pass on them...i haven't decided yet what make of car i am going to buy and it may be a few months before i do so....

• Advertisement
Advertisement