Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Park Flooring Recommendations

Options
  • 21-02-2006 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey guys, looking for a decent hardwood, semi-hardwood floor supplier. Can you help? I'm moving into 4 bed duplex CLP end of May (fingers crossed). I know the obvious ones, Brooks, Barefoot, Junckers... Is there anyone you could recommend..?? Need to start pricing... Appreciate all your help on this. Nice one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

We used Trunk Flooring at www.trunkflooring.co.uk, think they're based in the North but they deliver samples of the wood to you, we found them really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

Thanks Manny, I'll check them out... Any other leads would be great... Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Perty

We got semi-solid oak hardwood flooring from Budget Decor in the Stillorgan Park industrial estate for €18.50 a sq yd. This was very cheap in comparison to everywhere else we looked and it looks really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Perty wrote:
    We got semi-solid oak hardwood flooring from Budget Decor in the Stillorgan Park industrial estate for €18.50 a sq yd. This was very cheap in comparison to everywhere else we looked and it looks really nice.

That's excellent value Perty, that's probably half the going rate!

Perty wrote:
    Thanks Perty, I'll check them out too, I work in Sandyford Ind Est., so I can easily pop round for prices. Thanks for your help on this. If anyone else is sourcing flooring, here is my initial pricing list, plus the others metioned earlier in this post:

Bearfoot Flooring - www.bearfoot.ie
    Noyeks Flooring - www.noyeksnewmans.com
    Doors & Floors - www.doorsandfloors.ie
    Brooks Thomas - Tel: 01 4190000
    Budget Decor - Tel: 01 2938959
    Truck Flooring - www.trunkflooring.co.uk

Happy hunting... Ciao.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Perty wrote:

I'm very hard to please as regards stuff like this as I worked in the trades and I know my wood! (no lewd comments please ;) ) but I got a semi-solid maple floor from Budget Decor (made by Floorwise and they may have to order it in). It was about 30 odd Euro per square but it looks great. (you can stop by if you want to have a look sometime)

ps. not recommended to float a solid floor, I was back and forth between semi-solid, solid and laminate. Floating solid is very dodgy and the manafacturer will seldom honour a warranty if it is not battoned and nailed. Any moisture in the floor could easily cause big problems. I had ordered solid maple but changed it.

Laminate will usually shift because of the click system i.e. no glue, and
    damage can't be fixed without being noticed.

Semi-solid is glued, is floated and much less potential for problems than solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Lin03

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice on putting down wooden floors. If you put a semi-solid floor down in one of the 2 bed houses do you need to get the bottom of the doors shaven so the floors fit? If so, does the person laying the floors do this?

Thanks a lot,
    Linda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Lin03 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice on putting down wooden floors. If you put a semi-solid floor down in one of the 2 bed houses do you need to get the bottom of the doors shaven so the floors fit? If so, does the person laying the floors do this?

Thanks a lot,
    Linda.

No, there is enough space, and I used an underlay about 3/16th inch thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tonyharris999

any wood floor layer worth his salt will finish the job properly - ie shave doors to fit, fit skirting

as regards laying on concrete sub floor : the floor should always be tested for moisture and if necessary put dehumidifiers in place until the moisture drops to an acceptable level or even disappears. In extreme cases a bond can be applied onto the damo floor to keep the moisture out of the wood, though it is expensive

I had problems a few years back with burst under floor pipes and newly laid wood floor on top and learned an awful lot quickly and the hard way !.

ECOWOOD floors sorted me out good style and no problems now afer 5 years or more -Philip 086 818 4327

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

We did a solid walnut floor (1st floor of duples) and the guy I had was great. He even took it upon himself to contact the builders to discuss how they have layed the subfloor and what was the best way the lay the soldi wood on top. It turns out that the floors above ground level (which we have) are floating floors themselves so you can't fix your solid floor to them. He had some new type of adhesive mat that sat on to of their floating floors and our floor was put down on that.

We've been here 6 months and no problems yet. No creaks, gaps or anything.

I can give you the contact details if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Lin03

Great, thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

This is all great info, thanks everyone.

Mrmorrisjoe - I am also moving into a 4-bed duplex in CP - any chance you've got the measurements handy?

This is all great info, thanks everyone.

Mrmorrisjoe - I am also moving into a 4-bed duplex in CP - any chance you've got the measurements handy?
    Got them from the builder, and probably include wall size...

Entrance Stairs/Hall: 4.25m²
    Kitchen: 4.75m²
    WC: 2.50m²
    Stairs/treach/Risers: 5.25m²
    Lounge/Dinning Area: 44m²
    Hall: 5.75m²
    Bedroom 1 11.75m²
    Bedroom 1 en-suite: 2.75m²
    Bathroom: 3.25m²
    Bedroom 2: 18.75m²
    Bedroom 3: 7.50m²
    Bedroom 4: 6.75m²

If you have any queries, contact orla.durkan@bmdurkan.com - I havent logged on for a while, sorry for the delay old chap, I hope this helps..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Got them from the builder, and probably include wall size...

<snip>
    If you have any queries, contact orla.durkan@bmdurkan.com - I havent logged on for a while, sorry for the delay old chap, I hope this helps..!!!

Thanks - really helpful stuff!

Advertisement