Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please recommend good grub stop on N7

Options
  • 21-02-2006 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭

I drive from Dublin to Claire fairly regularly on the N7.
    Can anyone please recommend a good place to eat on/near the N7?
    There used to be loads of places but because of all the by-passes and motorway sections you dont see many places these days. I usually end up in McDs in Roscrea bur I'd rather go someplace that serves actual food.
    Any suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the racket hall hotel in roscea is good, excellent breakfast there too

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Richie Caseys garage in Toomevara, it the first garage as you approach from the Limerick side do excellant food with a good variety but its take away only afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I really like Flannagans Mill in Sallins in Co. Kildare, great grub, about 5 mins off the Motorway at Naas. Mat the Threshers in Birdhill is nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks everybody. Any other suggestions, please?
    I have to say I have had not-so-great meals in Matt the Threshers (owned by Patrick Guilbeau's parents I believe) and Racket Hall.
    Keep those suggestions coming please !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what sort of grub do you like on a cross country trip?

• Advertisement

Something fairly fast and edible. With good coffee and a clean jacks.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Matt the Thrashers is complete and utter Kak.

That Petrol Station just on the Limerick side of Mountrath (called "Mounthrath Service Station" funnily enough...!!!) is very decent. They have a good deli counter, a Whimpy burger, a place to sit down if you want and decent clean toilets. Still a service Station, but a good one.

There's a place then on the right hand side as you go through some town. It's not Mounthrath. I'd say it might be Borris-in-ossery. It's called Sal's diner. I pulled there three or 4 times and it was always decent. It is pretty much a chipper I suppose but you will get a decent feed on a plate if that's what you want. None of your Mc D's muck.

I never pulled in Racket Hall in Roscrea but have heard bad reports of it.

I also never pulled into The Dunkerrin Arms but I have heard good reoports about it and I think I'll give it a try the next time I'm feeling peckish on teh same journey myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Thanks everybody. Any other suggestions, please?
    I have to say I have had not-so-great meals in Matt the Threshers (owned by Patrick Guilbeau's parents I believe) and Racket Hall.
    Keep those suggestions coming please !;)

I like Matt's, they do a great sirloin steak. It's owned by Ted Moynihan, originally of Ted's Night Club in Limerick fame.

Tracey's up on the hill on the Portlaiose bypass used be good but I haven't been there in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Joels near newlands cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

The petrol station in Mountrath on the Limerick side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

John2002 wrote:
    I like Matt's, they do a great sirloin steak. It's owned by Ted Moynihan, originally of Ted's Night Club in Limerick fame.

Tracey's up on the hill on the Portlaiose bypass used be good but I haven't been there in a while.

yeh that tracey's place does have lovely food

Is Tracey's a place where truckers go? That the N7 used to go by before the bypass? Or am I mixing it up with somewhere else?
    I think you can tell you're going to get some good value grub and plenty of it when you see a bunch of trucks parked outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Is Tracey's a place where truckers go? That the N7 used to go by before the bypass? Or am I mixing it up with somewhere else?
    I think you can tell you're going to get some good value grub and plenty of it when you see a bunch of trucks parked outside

Can't think of it's name although I regularly stop there. (Roadhouse ??) It's just outside Ballybrittas - now by-passed. It's a bungalow type building on the right as you travel south. Popular with truckers. Great food and friendly service (although coffee isn't great).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

BnA wrote:
    I also never pulled into The Dunkerrin Arms but I have heard good reoports about it and I think I'll give it a try the next time I'm feeling peckish on teh same journey myself.

Absoloute dump, and has been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Do you turn off before Limerick if you're going to Clare ?

If not, Finnegans is V.Good.

Alternatively, Josie Moloneys pub in Toomevara does excellent steaks...

Fatboy.

Yes, the N7 used to go by, now there are signs on the motorway for it.

fatboypee wrote:
    If not, Finnegans is V.Good.

I'm in Finnegan's fairly regularly for a few pints but I'm not gone on the food there. They must be doing something right though cos it's packed all weekend with hungry punters. They make 85% of their money from food.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I drive from Dublin to Claire fairly regularly on the N7
    Jaysus, I hope she's worth the drive Johnny! :p

As for grub stops, the problem is that they ideally need to be midway along your route, so my suggestion is no good, but anyway.....I like Tommy Toughers on the old N7 (now R445) between Naas and Newbridge. Diverting off at the Naas S. exit and using the R445, stopping and continuing on through Newbridge to rejoin the motorway wouldn't takmuch longer however. Popular with truckers even today.

murphaph wrote:
    Jaysus, I hope she's worth the drive Johnny! :p
    LOL! Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I'll be heading that way in the next few days and will try out some of your suggestions.

Advertisement