Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solidarity with the internet poor

Options
  • 21-02-2006 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Is it time to stop this madness? The sigs I mean!

I turned them off last week and have noticed that boards browsing is better for it, and I'm on a 2mb line.

So whats it like for the poor old 56kers? Yes they can switch off sigs and avatars too but would'nt it be nice instead if we all said no to graphic sigs by banning them for say a week and seeing if users find boards a happier place to be....

Mike.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

.. or just have sigs & avatars Off by default for new users..?
    TBH:
    text-only sigs would be.. painful. (Along the lines of really crap poetry,etc.)
    there are reasonably strict sig rules/guidelines
    as you pointed out, users can opt-out at any point

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Your sig violates the signature rules by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice idea.

Just sig no!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

mike65 wrote:
    Is it time to stop this madness? The sigs I mean!

I turned them off last week and have noticed that boards browsing is better for it, and I'm on a 2mb line.

So whats it like for the poor old 56kers? Yes they can switch off sigs and avatars too but would'nt it be nice instead if we all said no to graphic sigs by banning them for say a week and seeing if users find boards a happier place to be....

Mike.

Why stop there! Let's ban all graphics and see how happy we are then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bloody estactic, lets go back to DOS!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

FFS grow a pair of balls, sigs on boards are grand. There so many other websites where the sigs are insanely large. This place is really becoming a joke with all the rules and regulations everywhere.

mike65 wrote:
    Bloody estactic, lets go back to DOS!

Mike.

Mike you're still thinking too small. Let's get rid of this internet altogether. After all there are amoeba who cannot read boards and cannot operate a computer. Where's the solidarity with the lower species.

LOWEST COMMON DEMONATOR RULES!

amp wrote:
    Mike you're still thinking too small. Let's get rid of this internet altogether. After all there are amoeba who cannot read boards and cannot operate a computer. Where's the solidarity with the lower species.

LOWEST COMMON DEMONATOR RULES!
    Well,in fairness, the next step up (MAC users) are catered for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Perhaps you should force users to use the minimalist skin and see how it performs. You could police the signature sizes much more effectively if you could control them in the same way as the custom avatar is controlled. Has to be of X dimensions and X size.
    UserCP>

o Option1-Text (set max number of chars, disable vb code within the text field and control the size of the text with dropdown menus)

o Option2-Graphic (as avatar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I find the difference between sigs on and off is negligible. There is perhaps a slight difference but I don't think it justifies disabling all signatures for the difference that's actually in it.

And I'm on a 512k line. :cool:

• Advertisement

Well, I believe the point was that it does make a difference to those on DUN.
    TBH, a census (DUN -v- "higher speed") of connections available may be useful.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I prefer the "configure it to your own tastes" approach. I'll see if sigs can be set to off by default but other then that I think it might be a bit extreme to ban image sigs. I also think that the departure of members.boards.ie might also be causing the slow down.

When Marx was seen riding in first class he was accused of being a class traitor. His answer was "I dont want to abolish first class, its all the other classes I want to do away with" (paraphrased). That kinda sums it up for me, but I've also been thinking about doing a "how to use boards better" guide for new users but time as ever is the issue... :(
    There are lots of little tricks for getting more out of Boards (and not just speed, I mean functionality).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

has regi pushed the auld turbo button becasue in my life i have never have had boards run so rapidly ive gone through so many posts and threads with a loading time of 0.93 seconds being the best from an avg of 2.14

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've set the default for new users to not show sigs or avatars but they can turn them on themselves thats about as far as I think I want to go in that direction.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as long as the sig is under say 20k i don't really see the problem, as if i'm browsing boards with 56k (rare times now i might add) i change the posts per page to the lowest and it doesn't really slow down that much.

but as mentioned above there are some forums that have no limit to sig and avatar sizes so you can literally have an idiot who will stick 1024x768 photo or something in their sig or a huge 1meg gif animation file in there aswell for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

DeVore wrote:
    When Marx was seen riding in first class

:eek: That's awfully young to be riding! Dirty little bugger.

Taking odds on the first Feedback post entitled "I can't see signatures"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Aren't viewed sigs held in the Internet cache files folder, so you actually only download them the first time*?
    After that don't you read the from your local hard disk?

*unless you clear your cache files

Advertisement