Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky might not have India v England

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i wonder who'll get the rights and whether i'll be able to watch it somehow.

At least i'll have TMS:)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

It looks like Sony will get it, and it will be available on PPV (prob through Setanta) and there might be highlights on BBC/ITV/CH4/five. Definite decision tomorrow.

Cable bid to bowl out Sky

Dominic Timms
    Tuesday February 21, 2006

Sony Entertainment Television confirmed today it was in the race to grab live rights to England's cricket tour of India in a deal that could end Sky's near 15-year monopoly on showing the team's overseas games.
    The cable channel said it had made a bid to cover the current England tour, which kicks off officially on March 1, but declined to comment on reports that it had offered up to $9m (£5m), more than twice what Sky is understood to have bid.

Nimbus Communications, the conglomerate that owns the rights to Indian cricket, rejected Sky's initial bid at the weekend, leaving the ground open for rival offers.

Nimbus itself only secured the rights last Friday with a colossal commitment of $612m (£351m) to show Indian cricket over the next four years.

An SET spokesman said it was "possible" the company could land the rights and that it expected to get a detailed response to Nimbus by as early as this week.

"It's possible that we will get the rights but I'm not at liberty to go into the nitty-gritty of the deal," he said.

A Sky spokesman declined to comment, citing the confidentiality of negotiations around the contract. Though Sky has the rights to England's home games, it has previously bid on an ad hoc basis for the rights to show overseas matches.

If SET does win the rights then live coverage of the games is likely to be restricted to pay-per-view television, though highlights of the three Test series are likely to be shown on terrestrial TV.

The BBC has confirmed earlier expectations that it would land the radio rights, saying it would broadcast exclusive coverage for the next four years.

"We believe it's vital for cricket that there should be live free-to-air broadcasting, so we're delighted that the BBC's radio services, including the Asian Network, will be offering live coverage from India," said the head of sport, Roger Mosey

The Nimbus chairman, Harish Thawani, is determined to turn the company into a major international media player and believes a combination of sports rights, films and television programming will help it get there.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,1714756,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Excellent. Even if this is just another big media conglomerate anything that stops the Sky hegemony is a good thing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You may not realise that if it goes to Sony TV Asia or Zee, you will have to pay them for an extra subscription, and its only on the Sky platform. Hardly adequate, imo.

We should know today, but at this point, its almost certain not to be on Sky Sports.

some of the engish newspapers were sayng it was defo on ppv setanta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭bush doctor

legspin wrote:
    Excellent. Even if this is just another big media conglomerate anything that stops the Sky hegemony is a good thing imo.

Fair enough if you want to look at it that way, but if you're already paying plenty to Sky on the assumption that they have all the cricket then it's a major downer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

So Setanta definitely have the rights?

Dubhelp wrote:
    So Setanta definitely have the rights?

you coulkd contact them and ask. :)

setanta.irl@setanta.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Fair enough if you want to look at it that way, but if you're already paying plenty to Sky on the assumption that they have all the cricket then it's a major downer

I do understand and it must be frustrating, but (and where Sky pops up there is always a but) you're paying too much for it anyway. But my prejudices are well documented here before and in fairness it's time to stop.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Announcement has been delayed by a day as it's being said over on DS that Sky have tabled a late new bid and are back in the running.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=7342329#post7342329

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 datsright1

The latest info I can find about this is actually linked to in the DS discussion around the same subject -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ma...23/ixcrick.html

This was filed today only and suggests it's not a done deal so it could still be on Sky Sports then.

For all their evils (*matter of opinion/not necessarily mine*) I do hope SS get the rights for purely personal/selfish reasons :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

A "source" inside sky sports says the following which would suggest that they are going to bid:

Taken from cricinfo.com

All the broadcasters could easily turn round and say, 'sod you, we've done our figures, there's no way we're paying that.' It 's a mess. This is the big test for Indian cricket because I think this deal will determine whether Indian cricket can sustain this kind of money and my feeling is I don't think it can."
    An insider at British broadcaster Sky TV on thoughts that Nimbus, who paid $612 million for India's TV rights for four years, might have bitten off more than it can che

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

id rather setanta get it, im not mad about Sky`s cricket coverage, its a pity channel 4 only had the ashes, they where fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

id rather setanta get it, im not mad about Sky`s cricket coverage, its a pity channel 4 only had the ashes, they where fantastic

I agree the channel 4 coverege was very good, much better than sky.

Setanta will never go for it, It's too risky for them, a profit would be hard to recoup at the price they'd have to pay Nimbus for the rights.

kyp_durron wrote:
    I agree the channel 4 coverege was very good, much better than sky.

Setanta will never go for it, It's too risky for them, a profit would be hard to recoup at the price they'd have to pay Nimbus for the rights.

yeah i gotta agree, plus, i wouldnt imagine it would have crazy amounts of people watching it live, due to the time difference and all

just heard on radio that

sky have the rights

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1213295,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

yes
    You ae right

its on SKY
    so
    move on:--

I predict full victory to Indian Team.
    Boy they are real madrid/Barca of cricket.
    $612m for telecast right
    $700 m from Nike for Appreal
    they are richest of cricket club

Sachin Tendulkar is the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Sachin will prove hard to stop for the english and i think he will prove to be a thorn in their side.

i think the fact england are losing men left, right and centre may hurt them more than an out of sorts Tandulkar

Vaughan, injured, Trescothick, he`s done a houdini, Collingwood and Peterson arent 100%

england are gonna take a beating

Advertisement