Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF get their Westminister pay packets back, but why do they accept them?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Freelancer wrote:
    But is that fair to the members of their constituencies who didn't vote for them?

Is it fair to any members of any constituencies that votes for a losing candidate? Probably not, but that's the way democracy works, like it or not. I don't think Ian Paisley does much representing of those in his constituency who have had their houses bombed by the UDA or UVF if they are catholic. Not right, but that's the way it is.
    Freelancer wrote:
    What evidence do you offer to support your assertion?

Because it is my belief that the Brits don't go around handing out cash unless they believe there is something in it for them. So why do they give them the money? Why allow them use offices at Westminster? Why talk to them pre-1994? Imo, it's all part of the British plan to gradually 'reel them in'.

Freelancer wrote:
    Or more whataboutery. Look it doesn't wash. You can't laud SF's absenteeism, while condemning the occasional missed vote by another politician. It's rank hypocrisy

Where did I laud SF's abstentionist policy? :rolleyes: I merely said they have the democratic right to abstain and that at least they were honest enough to tell the voters in advance that that was their policy.

And you know as well as everyone else that we are not just talking about the odd missed vote by other politicans. Politicans are elected to DE and that is what they get paid for. Huge numbers of them miss a huge number of sittings. They don't say this to voters when they are on their doorstep, do they? That's hypocrisy.

Advertisement