Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor Tiling Query..

Options
  • 21-02-2006 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

The floor I need to tile is more or less level - with a couple of exceptions. Someone told me I need to use 'leveling compound' to even out these areas. Do most Builders Providers stock this stuff? If not, where could I get it (Galway). Does it go down well in advance of tiling or whilst tiling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Eurorunner wrote:
    The floor I need to tile is more or less level - with a couple of exceptions. Someone told me I need to use 'leveling compound' to even out these areas. Do most Builders Providers stock this stuff? If not, where could I get it (Galway). Does it go down well in advance of tiling or whilst tiling?

Yep you will need a level floor ,you should be able to get it at any builders providers / diy store....

drys in under 24 hours... but leave a few days before tiling...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

self levelling cement is what u are looking for about 18 euro a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

does the floor need to be level or flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

GreeBo wrote:
    does the floor need to be level or flat?
    It needs to be reasonably level, within a few mmm, the levelling compound will do the rest. I understand there are some cement-like products and some latex (ruubber) based.

Tiles have to be laid on a fairly level surface or there is a risk of cracking.

For timber floors, it is usually better to lay plywood first and then just use the levelling compund on the joints. With concrete just use the levelling compound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Levelling compound is normally used for levelling out relatively minor imperfections and raising floors by 4 - 5mm e.g. for matching tiles with a hardwood floor. It gives a smooth flat finish with minimal effort.
    It can be used over floorboards ONLY if they are securely fixed and rigid.
    If you have a concrete floor - fill any holes deeper than 5mm with sand/cement first and then use the compound on top.
    Make a spreader out of a piece of timber with 2 or 3 screws or nails fixed 3mm above the surface and use this (screws down) to get an even spread. Don't worry about the tracks the screws make - they'll level out before it sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

stevec wrote:
    Make a spreader out of a piece of timber with 2 or 3 screws or nails fixed 3mm above the surface and use this (screws down) to get an even spread. Don't worry about the tracks the screws make - they'll level out before it sets.

Very good idea - :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

On the self levelling compound I have at home it say that it can be used up to 20mm in dept?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

yop wrote:
    On the self levelling compound I have at home it say that it can be used up to 20mm in dept?

I've only ever used the Evo-Stik (yellow bag) stuff and any info I've got says don't lay more than 3-4mm at a time. I stand to be corrected though!! What did you use? any problems with shrinking / cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

yop wrote:
    Well obviously they want you to use more.

I will check the bag out of interest now. don;t have any left but I will look at the place where I last bought it

• Advertisement
Advertisement