Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sea of good music out there

• 22-02-2006 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've got two CDs here by two bands with very, very similar names. Both are pretty good. Both have gorgeous sleeves.

The Ocean - Aeolian:
    They're kind of like Mastodon. Not quite as good but interesting enough. They could either become a very interesting band or a mediocre one. As they are now they're entertaining but not going to light the world on fire.

Ocean - Here Where Nothing Grows:
    Now this I really like. They're slow and doomy, very heavy but not as extreme as the likes of Sunn O))) or Khanate but more in the realms of Neurosis but a little more evil. I really recommend them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

John2 wrote:
    Ocean - Here Where Nothing Grows:
    Now this I really like. They're slow and doomy, very heavy but not as extreme as the likes of Sunn O))) or Khanate but more in the realms of Neurosis but a little more evil. I really recommend them.

Interesting. I will be checking these guys out. Neurosis really do rock. Seen the DVD for a sun that never sets? Freekin' weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I remember sitting down in the Temple Bar Music Centre having a pint with Neurosis back in '99. Their visual media was a bit scary but really nice lads! Even Steve Von Till!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I haven't seen the DVD unfortunately. Neurosis I find in recent years can be hit or miss. That one with Jarboe though was probably the best thing either of them have done in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Good stuff John. Do you know of any links to legit mp3's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

if ye're a fan of Neurosis, may i reccomend Red Sparowes which contains members of both Neurosis & Isis

and also, another fantastic band that are related to Ocean, check out a french band called Gojira, amazing stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you like Neurosis Id say listen to some Pelican, the best sludge metal out there that ive found imo, or if you like SunnO))) try some 'Godspeed! You Black Emperor'.

Pugsley wrote:
    If you like Neurosis Id say listen to some Pelican, the best sludge metal out there that ive found imo, or if you like SunnO))) try some 'Godspeed! You Black Emperor'.

Already into all of them but I find the Sunn O))) Godspeed comparison baffling. Two great bands but very, very different.

Anyhow, Ocean mp3s can be found on their record label's page (scroll down and ye shall find).

As for The Ocean, there's a RAM file and a video dotted about their record label's site.

Herobear, where's a good place to start with Gojira?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

Gojira's newest album entitled from mars to sirius is fantastic, to my ears there's echoing of Mastodon, Strapping Young Lad & Meshuggah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

John2 wrote:
    Already into all of them but I find the Sunn O))) Godspeed comparison baffling. Two great bands but very, very different.
    Diffrent styles I suppose, SunnO))) being a wall of bass capable of waging war on small countries with a large enough sub, but their both at a similar pace (ie: slow, real slow).

Sunn O))) always remind me of the band in the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy books that play so loud that they have to perform the gig from a spaceship orbiting the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

The Ocean are excellent, Ive been listening to them quite a bit recently, aswell sa the band "Sleep". Great stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

On the subject of seas of good music...

I'd reccommend "Ocean" by Eloy if you're into Pink Floyd. They're are a 70's proggy band. Listen to them here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

JoeyD wrote:
    On the subject of seas of good music...

I'd reccommend "Ocean" by Eloy if you're into Pink Floyd. They're are a 70's proggy band. Listen to them here

Eloy kicked butt! Although I'd probably lump them closer to Yes and ELP in intent, but with a 'European lushness' that I can't really explain. Great stuff!

Edit: on a re-listen - yah, there's some Floyd in there....and Triumvirat....and Renaissance.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

herobear wrote:
    if ye're a fan of Neurosis, may i reccomend Red Sparowes which contains members of both Neurosis & Isis

HOLY FREEKIN CRAP! New Fav. album. manages to get it at the weekend.
    you can recommend me new much anytime ;) :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Locust Reign

Also on the nautical side of things,

May i recommend an instrumental band called Tides, album name Resurface.
    Its pretty cool, similar to stuff like Isis, Pelican and all that area...

The album is very similar to Oceanic by Isis, very cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Speaking of Annie Haslam and Renaissance....."Ocean Gypsy"

and King Crimson's "In the Wake of Poseidon" w/Greg Lake

Advertisement