Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a really loud exhaust!! LoL

Options
  • 22-02-2006 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Why does anyone want a loud exhaust?

Can't you just put a crushed carton above the wheel ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You'll have the cops down on you like a ton of bricks for noise pollution, I think they are trying to make it a points offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't remember caring about noise pollution when i was 16. The OP most likely doesn't either! The idea that "the louder your exhaust is - the better" may suggest that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

1.3 hmmm just disconnect the complete exhaust system and while you're at it why not take the manifold off and you'll get the noise you're looking for.
    Too loud and as said before every cop will be on your back.A nice deep rumble is ok but don't end up sounding like a moped.

Make sure you get one of these for added effect.:p
    Can't you just put a crushed carton above the wheel ...?

Ah the good aul days when things were simple.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Seems to be a bit trollish but I'll play along.
    If it's noise you're after then just remove the exhaust system, or failing that get a hammer and nail and create multiple holes in the exhaust system. Et voila. Removing the airbox also produces some extra noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Tbh i cant see a 1.3 langer engine backfiring and growling unless you disconnect one of the HT leads and floor it!

The likes of powerflow can custom make exhausts to your specific needs.I know people who got loud ones made by them before and got them changed not long after,the constant drone on long drives goes thru your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

Why loud? Why not got for something with a bit of 'grunt'?

Induction kit upfront with a simple nice stainless steel backbox to poke out the back?

Buy an Integra type R and slap a full stainless steel system on with a 4-branch 5 Zigen manifold.. You'll benefit in power then, other than sticking a backbox on a 1.3 lancer..

Sure I may sound like a hippocrit having an APC titanium exhaust on my 1.4i ibiza, but I like the grumble from it.. Not overly loud, deafening, and stupid...

Modifying a car isn't about being loud and obnoxious, it's about what you like, and fitting an exhaust thats blatently out to annoy people or make people think 'oh look, a ferrari engined lancer, he must be cool' aint gonna go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

My best mate just got done for a loud can on a 1600 suabaru a 150 euro fine + the cost of putting a replacement back box on.

Yes its an offence and yes the law states "reasonable" but this is at the discression of the Guard on the day so be warned that it could be an expensive trip to the shops if you get a Guards attention.

Oh and there was 4 more cases on the day includeing an Evo driver and a 1.3 starlet (not a Gi or Turbo)

If i had the money for a backbox i get a de-cat pipe first(less obvious) and makes a preformance difference unlike a backbox which just removes baffles.

If you want loud and ur insane a motorbike race can is about the loudest you will make a car sound :D

NutJob wrote:
    My best mate just got done for a loud can on a 1600 suabaru a 150 euro fine + the cost of putting a replacement back box on.

Yes its an offence and yes the law states "reasonable" but this is at the discression of the Guard on the day so be warned that it could be an expensive trip to the shops if you get a Guards attention.

Oh and there was 4 more cases on the day includeing an Evo driver and a 1.3 starlet (not a Gi or Turbo)

If i had the money for a backbox i get a de-cat pipe first(less obvious) and makes a preformance difference unlike a backbox which just removes baffles.

If you want loud and ur insane a motorbike race can is about the loudest you will make a car sound :D

It's a funny oul' world, a motorbike is generally louder than any standard car's exhaust system, yet, change the exhaust on your car to a slightly grunt'ier one and the Garda will stop you and try and do you.. Even, when it STILL isn't as loud as a motorbike's standard can!

Anyway, once it's not overly loud, you're grand. But as far as research I've done relating the matter there isn't an Irish law against dB levels of Exhausts (Only thing thats tested is Noise Emitions from the NCT -- so if your car passes with said aftermarket exhausts, the NCT center has aproved your car road worthy and has been tested)). However, there is a EU law, which is I think, 74dB of continuous noise. Usually an aftermarket exhausts helps flow of exhaust gassess and doesn't produce constant noise at low revs..

Usually if stopped by a Gard, I politely tell them the parts of the LAW they don't understand (which 99% of the time they dont like), but fail to produce anything to me, and leave me on my way.. 'tis great having information at your fingertips 24/7 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

a big noisy exhaust is stupid, it makes you look like an attention seeking tool, as does stupid bodykits, idiot paintjobs and tacky extra's such as led lights/under body neon lights.

just get a nice set of alloys and a nice double exhaust coming out the back, an induction kit for extra throttle response and a nice noise out of the car.

if you got the money go for an evo or mivec style bodykit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

draffodx wrote:
    a big noisy exhaust is stupid, it makes you look like an attention seeking tool, as does stupid bodykits, idiot paintjobs and tacky extra's such as led lights/under body neon lights.

followed by:
    draffodx wrote:
    just get a nice set of alloys and a nice double exhaust coming out the back, an induction kit for extra throttle response and a nice noise out of the car.

if you got the money go for an evo or mivec style bodykit

Will this not make him look like an attention seeking tool, with a stupid bodykit driving a 1.3 Lancer?

Will this not make him look like an attention seeking tool, with a stupid bodykit driving a 1.3 Lancer?[/QUOTE]

An Evo kit on a 1.3 lancer.. Umm.. ok.. It's different :D:D:rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

colm_mcm wrote:
    Will this not make him look like an attention seeking tool, with a stupid bodykit driving a 1.3 Lancer?

not with a factory bodykit that was designed specifically for the car, unlike sticking an f 50 bonnet vent on a corsa or similiar.

it might not be different but atleast it will look nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

as everyone has said you will get alot of attention from the gaurds but if you dont care here is a reasonably cheap way to do it.

cut the center silencer box out and weld a piece of stainless steel pipe in its place. then buy a cheap big "performance" back box. then chop the end off that and remove all of the inside insulation and pipe. weld it back together and put it on the car. one thing is you will have to weld the pipe and also the backbox so you will probably need someone with a bit of welding experience as most of the performance exhausts are made of very thin stainless steel so its difficult to weld. if you are welding the pipe under the car watch out for fuel lines! alternativly you could just chop off your backbox for a different sound.

done this before when i was bored and was messing with a few cars for a bit of a laugh! also keep your original silencer and back box as i would say it may have trouble if you try and nct it and you may get tired of the noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

jesus this is a weird post ... gl in finding what you want ..

i hope you dont live near me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fast21

...exhaust. Go here >> http://www.ashleyexhausts.co.uk/

They manufacture Group A rally spec systems. Very loud and good value. I've already had 4 systems off them. Well worth it. If they dont make one for your car as standard they will build you a one off for a very reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Seeems more like a troll post to me, or an atttempt to get people moaning about loud exhausts. It's what I suspect anyway.

Exhausts are for performance, not about making your car louder. Although I admit some do sound sexy loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pretty much everything about the loudness of exhausts has been discussed here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054992817
    But if the OP is seriously looking for a loud exhaust I hope you know suitable times and places to drive using it.
    Kippy

Advertisement