Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband Pass

• 22-02-2006 2:42am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hmm im puzzled my line passed for Magnet Broadband or is this just a sales gimmick that my line will eventully pass?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭marsdelight

No, you passed. The entertainment thing is different. TV etc i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I dont know they said 6 months to me around 3 months ago now its 3...
    We will be in your area with our full suite
    of Magnet Entertainment
    services in 3 months.
    In the meantime, we can offer you Magnet Broadband
    which provides you
    with 2 Meg broadband.
    Please click here to register your details or alternatively
    call us on 1890 53 53 53.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

No, you passed. The entertainment thing is different. TV etc i think

Hmm but there Broadband Packages are Dsl based yet my line doesn't pass with Eircom etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

oh right... well that thing just determines if its in your area... it doesnt check your line specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭marsdelight

Hmm but there Broadband Packages are Dsl based yet my line doesn't pass with Eircom etc.
    i'm not 100% sorry, the best thing is to ring them i suppose.

• Advertisement

oh right... well that thing just determines if its in your area... it doesnt check your line specifically.

it is line because my friend around the corner can't get it so i best ring them 2moro fingers crossed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Magnet use ADSL 2+. different technology to Eircon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

they're a stranged crowd, I rang them a few weeks ago to see if they had any services in North County Dublin (Lusk/Rush area's) and they said no. Driving to work the other day and there's a huge Magnet billboard 2 minutes from house advertising their triple play service - why would they waste such money on advertising like that?

revileandy wrote:
    they're a stranged crowd, I rang them a few weeks ago to see if they had any services in North County Dublin (Lusk/Rush area's) and they said no. Driving to work the other day and there's a huge Magnet billboard 2 minutes from house advertising their triple play service - why would they waste such money on advertising like that?

So people know who they are when they are available, all to do with brand recognition. It will also help them determine when to roll out to that area based on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Hmm im puzzled my line passed for Magnet Broadband or is this just a sales gimmick that my line will eventully pass?

Where is the line checker on the site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

http://www.magnet.ie/subscribe/line.shtml

On the homepage there is a picture of a house (like a monopoly board house) click that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ahh never noticed that before. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would seem that they don't actually check your line, but just give you a pass/fail depending on your exchange. I put in a disconnected number and was told that service was available immediately :) (Lucan Ballydowd Exchange)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

same as my post last week failed Eircom passed Magnet !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

However it should be pointed out that Eircom is unnecessarily strict with it's line tests and that Magnet are using ADSL2+ which reachs further then ADSL, so many people who can't get ADSL from Eircom might stand a good chance of getting Magnet (but at much lower speeds like 1m, not the 8m, but it is better then nothing).

Rang them up my line quality usual ****e yet i can get up to 52kbps on Dial up i think it has to do with my house being built many years after the estate & i think its pair gained theres a disturbing looking eircom manhole outside yet theres none around the rest of the estate and to my surprise someone in my estate has it!! according to Magnet. im considering get a new line i cant see its my internal wiring at all as i only have a master socket(NOT EIRCOM JUST A CHEAP SOCKET) that i directly connect to when i go on line
    Diagram of Wiring
    Mywiring_diagram.JPG
    Master Socket
    Mastersocket.JPG
    Slave Socket Phone
    Slavesocket_Phone.JPG
    Slave Socket Modem

Slavesocket_Modem.JPG

Any Pointers whould be great

Thanks
    B-man.

If you get 52kbps on dial up it is not a pair gain issue. Maybe Eircon won't give BB due to distance?

paulm17781 wrote:
    If you get 52kbps on dial up it is not a pair gain issue. Maybe Eircon won't give BB due to distance?

Yeah thats true but im looking for Magnet they use adsl2 which has further reach from the exchange & according to Magnet someone has it in my estate

Yeah thats true but im looking for Magnet they use adsl2 which has further reach from the exchange & according to Magnet someone has it in my estate

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Eircon fail != Magnet fail. Many people don't know this though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

paulm17781 wrote:
    Yeah that's what I was getting at. Eircon fail != Magnet fail. Many people don't know this though. :)

but the guy on the phone was adimant he could get 2mb to my house, on the blanch exchange, which I believe does not have ADSl2¬ but EIrcom fail, maybe they just take a sht at it and say on the instal day sorry mate no signal!

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    but the guy on the phone was adimant he could get 2mb to my house, on the blanch exchange, which I believe does not have ADSl2¬ but EIrcom fail, maybe they just take a sht at it and say on the instal day sorry mate no signal!

I know nothing about Magnet but I rarely trust CS people, if they can get you BB and Eircon won't it is with their equipment. I once explained to an Ericon CS rep (about a year ago) what DSL is. He knew they sold broadband but didn't think they sold DSL

Rang them up my line quality usual ****e yet i can get up to 52kbps on Dial up i think it has to do with my house being built many years after the estate & i think its pair gained theres a disturbing looking eircom manhole outside yet theres none around the rest of the estate and to my surprise someone in my estate has it!! according to Magnet. im considering get a new line i cant see its my internal wiring at all as i only have a master socket(NOT EIRCOM JUST A CHEAP SOCKET) that i directly connect to when i go on line
    Diagram of Wiring
    Mywiring_diagram.JPG
    Master Socket
    Mastersocket.JPG
    Slave Socket Phone
    Slavesocket_Phone.JPG
    Slave Socket Modem

Slavesocket_Modem.JPG

Any Pointers whould be great

Thanks
    B-man.

Bump

bump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they are not in series.

you have a bus topology after the master socket which causes a current drop.

master should go to slave one (use 1 pair from that cable , i assume you have 2 or 4 pairs in the cable) )
    use a second pair to come back from slave one to inside master socket and join tor wires out to slave 2 inside that master socket while ensuring that slave2 is not wired to the master itself

therefore master > slave1 > slave2 = in series

you have master (equally to ) slave 1 and to slave 2 , a bus formation after master with the current dropping equally to each of the slaves and affecting your pass. Even disconnecting slave2 altogether (from master) until after you pass will help

sort that out again .

This is a a classic internal wiring problem

Thanks Sponge Bob is there any diagrams available to aid me rewire?

Ok thanks a million i will just connect the phone directly to the master for a month or so will going online affect my chances of passing?

Most Grateful
    Bernard.

will get the photos up 2moro im away at the moment on 2mb dsl believe it or not lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Just the one photo of the inside of a slave , the type of socket is acalled a Mod Tap (not full size fits on skirting)

The master socket is also a mod tap and I would personally to to a 3g shop and but a full eircom master socket and wire that in for starters if I were you . There is more room inside)

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Just the one photo of the inside of a slave , the type of socket is acalled a Mod Tap (not full size fits on skirting)

The master socket is also a mod tap and I would personally to to a 3g shop and but a full eircom master socket and wire that in for starters if I were you . There is more room inside)

Great! you can get them in 3g stores im off 2moro to souce one out

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:

Here you go Sponge Bob hope this helps

Slavesocket_open.JPG

Many Thanks,
    Bernard.

Advertisement