Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proxy cache servers? (anyone?)

• 22-02-2006 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Which Irish ISP doesn't have proxy cache servers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭marsdelight

bump

sorry to bump this again, but i need to know this asap. tia :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

IBB don't have known ones anyway. I don't think they have a transparent one either.

Word of advice, bumping threads annoys people! Boards lets you see new threads since your last login so there's no need to do it :)

Red Alert wrote:
    IBB don't have known ones anyway. I don't think they have a transparent one either.

Cool thanks RA, does anyone know of others?

:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Most don't. I've never heard of any of the Bitstream operators using them (Eircom, BT, etc.).

NTL does seem to use them in some areas, but not most areas.

Why do you ask?

• Advertisement

Yeah that's my problem, I'm with NTL and I have problems connection to all sites on a certain server in the US 25% of the time. :(

I need to move to a new ISP that doesn't have proxy cache servers, so need to know for deffo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I need to move to a new ISP that doesn't have proxy cache servers, so need to know for deffo. :)

Most have a proxy/cache service of some sort but so what ? Unless it's a transparent proxy then you can easily stop using an ISPs proxy/cache service by changing your browser settings. I think you need to be more specific in what your looking for here - it's sounds like you want an ISP which doesn't enforce transparent proxying rather than an "ISP that doesn't have proxy cache servers".

Off hand I'm not aware of any of the BB providers enforcing transparent proxying on it's user base.

zing wrote:
    Most have a proxy/cache service of some sort but so what ? Unless it's a transparent proxy then you can easily stop using an ISPs proxy/cache service by changing your browser settings. I think you need to be more specific in what your looking for here - it's sounds like you want an ISP which doesn't enforce transparent proxying rather than an "ISP that doesn't have proxy cache servers".

Ok here's the story;

I have my own website(s) I've moved them to a new server about 10 days ago. Since then I get timeouts/Page cannot be displayed/Outlook Express errors from not reading the server etc etc etc. These problems happen about 25% of the time a different times. I run a forum on one of the sites with 1700+ members and 90% of them don't have any issues and I've asked them.

I've been in contact with my hosting company (which I'm a reseller on) and they are 100% positive it's not on their side and that they are positive that it is a ISP issue.

So my options are to move to a different ISP who doesn't have proxy cache servers or bypass this problem in some way.

I haven't a clue how about proxy cache servers etc, I'm just going on what I've been told. :o

Any help would be greatly appreciated in trying to fix this issue.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's possible to use alternate proxies, or masking proxies for this kind of testing. I couldn't give you any good addresses though.

Although afaik, NTL do enforce tranparent proxying, I can say that I've never had a problem with being fed expired content or intermittent timeouts, except when I've had network problems.

Perhaps it may be worth your while running some connectivity tests. Run a prolonged ping test initially (200 - 500 pings), and if this shows heavy packet loss (>= 5%), run a few tracerts to see if one section of the link shows frequent timeouts or high response times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ok here's the story;

I have my own website(s) I've moved them to a new server about 10 days ago. Since then I get timeouts/Page cannot be displayed/Outlook Express errors from not reading the server etc etc etc. These problems happen about 25% of the time a different times. I run a forum on one of the sites with 1700+ members and 90% of them don't have any issues and I've asked them.

I've been in contact with my hosting company (which I'm a reseller on) and they are 100% positive it's not on their side and that they are positive that it is a ISP issue.

So my options are to move to a different ISP who doesn't have proxy cache servers or bypass this problem in some way.

I haven't a clue how about proxy cache servers etc, I'm just going on what I've been told. :o

Any help would be greatly appreciated in trying to fix this issue.

Thanks

You sure it isnt a DNS problem?
    Maybe some DNS servers are still pointing people to the old server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

youve been in touch with NTL? What was their response on the issue?
    Also have you tried connecting from a different location? Work, Internet Cafe.

seamus wrote:
    It's possible to use alternate proxies, or masking proxies for this kind of testing. I couldn't give you any good addresses though.

Although afaik, NTL do enforce tranparent proxying, I can say that I've never had a problem with being fed expired content or intermittent timeouts, except when I've had network problems.

Perhaps it may be worth your while running some connectivity tests. Run a prolonged ping test initially (200 - 500 pings), and if this shows heavy packet loss (>= 5%), run a few tracerts to see if one section of the link shows frequent timeouts or high response times.

Thanks seamus,

I ran a test two days ago;

youve been in touch with NTL? What was their response on the issue?
    Also have you tried connecting from a different location? Work, Internet Cafe.
    Yes, they said that they don't block ips just virus. No one else is having issues on my sites, they said since I've moved to the server the vB forum is like lightning.

Advertisement