Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd fix carpentry

Options
  • 22-02-2006 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Just a query - i was looking at the builders timeline article further down this forum. It had the 2nd fix carpentry as being completed prior to installation and comissioning of heating. My place is plastered about 8 weeks and some of it is under coated. ESB is not connected yet and i would need this done to get gas heating comissioned.
    I was just wondering if its ok to start 2nd fix skirting, doors etc with out heating, house is dry and sealed and taking paint well. ? Will it have any effect on the timber?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

House is not dry, without heating.

A damp house will have a detrimental effect on timber, especially doors.

Get a moisture meter, check a dry piece of timber with it. And then leave the timber in the house for a week or two, and recheck the timber.

Dehumidifiers are tempting to use, but over zealous use may cause problems with drying plaster , so be careful

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

yeah i would have been of that opinion too. It was just when i saw the position of 2nd fix carpentry in building timeline(ahead of commissioning of heating) i wondered how did it fit into other peoples own timelines ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NanoNano

Hi, Just a question without hyjacking the tread. If a house needs to dry that long, how can they build houses in 4 months? Just wondering because we are thinking of using Envirohomes for the build and they do everything from planning permission till ready to move in.

Advertisement