Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are the winter Olympics on RTÉ?

• 22-02-2006 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭

There are Paddies in the winter Olympics, you know.

Yes, they are crap but then we are crap at soccer too but that doesn't stop wall to wall coverage of that sport.

Stop being so parochial RTÉ.

You are beginning to go beyond boring!

[Cue the lame excuses from (un)reality TV and soap viewers.]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i was quite shocked/surprised to see and Irish skier in the olympics. i always thought it odd that RTÉ dont give it any coverage but the BBC and Eurosport do a great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Job.

Finishing sentances now! I post to much.

They could at least show the Paddies games.
    You are beginning to go beyond boring!

Curling anyone!

Also you do realise that their are two other TV service in Ireland. TV3 and TG4. and we also have a sports service which could have picked up the rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭JayBee66

Elmo wrote:
    Curling anyone!

Also you do realise that their are two other TV service in Ireland. TV3 and TG4. and we also have a sports service which could have picked up the rights.

I rather like curling. Sort of a sedate form of darts but without the beer bellies.

I don't regard TV3 and TG4 as services. TV3 is a colonial arm of ITV and TG4 only broadcasts in a foreign language, English mostly.

Anyway, we need our own Eddie the Eagle.

Pat the Plummeter anyone?

We are going to have 24/7 coverage of the World Cup this year even though my useless cousin (Mr S. Carr esq.) couldn't beat Israel.

And if we wait another two years we can probably watch Ms Sullivan hobbling in last after being overtaken by the paralympics.

I don't regard TV3 and TG4 as services. TV3 is a colonial arm of ITV and TG4 only broadcasts in a foreign language, English mostly.

That's the problem we don't consider TV3 as a National TV service and we have let them continue to broadcast tripe. Not once have the even atempted something orginal.

On the other TG4 couldn't possibly a National TV service because of it Irish Lanuage output. Even though they have live rights to GAA, Tennis and Cycling.
    And if we wait another two years we can probably watch Ms Sullivan hobbling in last after being overtaken by the paralympics.

You never know RTE might pick up the Commonwealth Games. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Elmo wrote:
    That's the problem we don't consider TV3 as a National TV service and we have let them continue to broadcast tripe.
    They aren't a National TV service. They're a commercial entity. Nothing you can do besides not tuning in can change what they choose to broadcast.

• Advertisement

They aren't a National TV service. They're a commercial entity.

TV3 is a National Commercial TV Broadcaster. They are there to provide a national service through their commitment in their licence as issued by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI).
    Nothing you can do besides not tuning in can change what they choose to broadcast.

That doesn't seem to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

More foreign names for George Hamilton to salivate over.

In fairness Setanta should've gone in for the rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I missed watching the board cross, would have liked to see more of that, does rte have a general sports show, one that isn't dominated by football?

they have a youth one in the den I think or it that tv3?

where they go out of the way to cover every sporting event not just headline sports.?

I really enjoy that world sports when i see it, use to be on in the morning when I was young and got up in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

JayBee66 wrote:

Yes, they are crap but then we are crap at soccer too but that doesn't stop wall to wall coverage of that sport.

It's not about whether we're good or crap. It's about what people are interested in.

A lot of people in Ireland have an interest in football. Not a lot of people have an interest in some toff throwing himself headfirst down a hill on a dustbin lid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

isn't there a show on a friday evening that covered the opening ceramony. It's got that 2FM sport guy from Clonmel on it he's in Tourino now I heard this morning. He likes playing golf can't think of his name my head is going to explode

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    It's not about whether we're good or crap. It's about what people are interested in.

A lot of people in Ireland have an interest in football. Not a lot of people have an interest in some toff throwing himself headfirst down a hill on a dustbin lid.

It's about showing all sports in the hope that we might take them all up and maybe find a champion.

Irish people are too pastey white to keep up with Kenyans in distance running. Too pastey white to keep up with West Africans in sprints. Too stiff to be talented at soccer (and that includes my cousin S. Carr).

So maybe with all the spare money sloshing around Ireland someone might take up a middle-class sport and excel at it for a while before Africa catches up and beats the pants off us again.

Yes, I know Mr O'Connor splashed his money on a horse that was later discovered in North Dublin scoring dope off a mule but you have to give everyone a chance.

Just wait until Andorra, San Marino or even Rwanda learns how to hurl and you can wave goodbye to the All-Ireland forever more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just wait until Andorra, San Marino or even Rwanda learns how to hurl and you can wave goodbye to the All-Ireland forever more.

Dya promise? Wish it were so but I can't see it happening. There isn't enough big earred inbred ex-pat culchies in any of those countries to get a team started to begin with.

Dya promise? Wish it were so but I can't see it happening. There isn't enough big earred inbred ex-pat culchies in any of those countries to get a team started to begin with.

It is nice to see that on boards we can unsult everyone with sterotypical ****.

Pigman II wrote:

You don't have to be Irish to play in an All-Ireland.

One day, all Cork men will be Fijians. :p

Look at Sonia flying the Austrailian flag we should be proud.

Advertisement