Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laser for blushing

• 22-02-2006 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

i suffer from severe and chronic blushing. just wondering if anyone has had any laser treatment done for blushing. have heard something that laser can burst the blood vessels in the face so would cease the blushing. does anyone know anything about this. please please respond if you know something. im so desperate for info in this. thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Do you blush for no reason or just in embarrassing situations?
    Google laser surgery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have an ex- boyfriend who had the same problem, he got an operation in Blackrock Clinic where they cut a nerve under his arm that stopped him from blushing at all. I thought it very weird and extreme, he would have been better off seeing a shrink. But I suppose we all different things that bother us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If it is blushing that is the problem then the surgery which Lux23 speaks of is available. However it is defo an extreme measure and a decision to have it done should not be taken lightly. Only a year or 2 ago a top Dublin solicitor had this surgery done however there were complications and he died on the operating table.

If however this blushing is caused by eating hot foods, drinking alcohol, being in hot environments etc then this condition is known as Rosacea. I suffer from this skin condition myself. There is laser treatment available for this whereby the laser improves the flow of blood in the skin thus lessening the appearance of redness and reducing flushing. I have this treatment every 2 months and although it has improved my situation greatly it does not cure Rosacea.

One thing you have to realise is that everyone blushes and you are not alone. Maybe if you work on your confidence it would help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Ok this isn't a medical forum so I think first off you should consult a doctor, (Bypass your GP and go straight to a consultant such as in Blackrock Clinic - not one of these beauty treatment type places - if you can afford it ).

Now from a personal experience point of view. I had laser treatment to my face for the same reason. It was performed by a doctor from Blackrock Clinic, in Bon Secours, Glasnevin. The idea is to cauterise the blood vessels nearest the skin's surface and reduce blushing.

During the treatment a gel is applied and a hand held laser is used to zap you. The sensation is like having your face repeatedly flicked by an elastic band. It's a bit sore and makes your eyes water. The problem being that the laser only covers a small area per zap, so it takes multiple zaps to do one cheek. It also takes mulitple visits to see results, which may not come at all.

I have mixed feelings about the results. At the time I thought it toned down the very red inflammed look. Now I'm not sure it was worth the effort. It certainly hasn't helped the fact I blush easily. Although it may help if you have had rosacea to clear some of the redness.

Finally TALK TO A DOCTOR!
    Lux23 wrote:
    I have an ex- boyfriend who had the same problem, he got an operation in Blackrock Clinic where they cut a nerve under his arm that stopped him from blushing at all. I thought it very weird and extreme, he would have been better off seeing a shrink. But I suppose we all different things that bother us.

That is a much more severe measure to take, a last resort which I have heard can lead to other side effects. Again a doctor will advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 daisydawn

MicraBoy wrote:
    Ok this isn't a medical forum so I think first off you should consult a doctor, (Bypass your GP and go straight to a consultant such as in Blackrock Clinic - not one of these beauty treatment type places - if you can afford it ).

Now from a personal experience point of view. I had laser treatment to my face for the same reason. It was performed by a doctor from Blackrock Clinic, in Bon Secours, Glasnevin. The idea is to cauterise the blood vessels nearest the skin's surface and reduce blushing.

During the treatment a gel is applied and a hand held laser is used to zap you. The sensation is like having your face repeatedly flicked by an elastic band. It's a bit sore and makes your eyes water. The problem being that the laser only covers a small area per zap, so it takes multiple zaps to do one cheek. It also takes mulitple visits to see results, which may not come at all.

I have mixed feelings about the results. At the time I thought it toned down the very red inflammed look. Now I'm not sure it was worth the effort. It certainly hasn't helped the fact I blush easily. Although it may help if you have had rosacea to clear some of the redness.

Finally TALK TO A DOCTOR!

That is a much more severe measure to take, a last resort which I have heard can lead to other side effects. Again a doctor will advise.

hey there Micraboy,
    thank you so much for your reply. its amazing to hear from someone who actually suffers from the same conditon as me. sometimes i feel im the only one. like GPS and stuff dont really take it seriously and other people just take the P!ss when they see me blush. i really want to get something done about it. definately going to check into this laser anyway. are you not going as red now when you blush?? how many treatments did you have and how much does it cost?
    thanks for replying everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

some people find blushing an attractive quality. getting surgery seems like a drastic measure to take. maybe you should consider other less invasive options - such as talking to a professional about why you feel so uncomfortable about it. maybe the solution is something as "simple" as becoming comfortable within yourself about this.

either way, i wish you all the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Check out this link for lots of people in the same boat.

I don't see the laser therapy as a cure all for this condition. It's just not that effective, in fact it is primarily aimed at repairing damaged blood vessels from conditions like rosecea (which I had a bit of). If the problem is psycological it won't do a huge amount for you. There is alot of talk on that link about hynpotherapy and cognitive training.

I had three treatments, but can't remember the cost as I claimed on VHI. You can PM me if you need more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Hate to tell you but a solicitor ended up dead a year ago having the surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How many people in total have died during the surgery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

To the OP, you need to control the blushing and be more positive.

I speak from personal experience of Rosacea for nearly last 10years since i was 22, I have learned to control blushing and the redness has 99% cleared up from face.

Now and then if i'm extremely tired, redness on nose& face comes back, only solution in this situation is to sleep or throw water on face to cool the skin down as it does be hot to touch!

Also i've learned that by been a happier person helps prevent blushing, sounds odd but it does work!
    Be careful on what to use to wash your face with and after, it can make a difference, avoid alcohol based substances. Metrogel does work to control the dryness of the skin.
    As Unregwednesday said, if your stuck in a hot environment, keep yourself cool at all times, run to a tap and either drink or splash your face with water to cool yourself down.
    Whether alcohol is a trigger level is debatable, for myself alcohol has a positive effect in contrary to what the experts say. I've never gone red/blushed on a night out fuelled with drink, maybe its the liquid which counteracts the alcohol content :)
    Everyone is different so you need to identify and write down what situations\foods\drink cause you to blush, it helps immensely.

Lastly, laser does help to 'deflame' those skin inflamations but laser is pointless if you keep blushing, the redness(boils/pimples etc) will just keep coming back for each blush so control those blushings daisydawn!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Frank OJ

Hey,

Would have to disagree with some people who say laser isnt effective, you just have to go to the right doctor. I suffer from rosacea and have had superb treatment in the UK with a dr. crouch in Swindon. Have had 3 treatments with the Lumenis One machine and the results so far have been excellent. My triggers were sunlight and steam mainly. When i was subject to these mediums my rosacea would be terrible, red face, spots etc, but now that has cleared up nearly. doctor said i would probably need one more op. it can never be sent into submission but laser is the closet thing at the moment to clearing it up. As another poster said it does hurt like hell. When I get treatment its 9 blasts to the forehead, 3 blasts on each cheek and 3 on the nose. And thats carried out 3 times each session. Thats a little over 50 blasts a time. But believe you me its short term pain for long term gain. its all over in the space on 10/15 mins and you can tell the difference the next day nearly. Just need to be careful to aviod your triggers for a few weeks after or things will get worse seemingly. Treatment is very expensive though. Any Q's just PM me and I would be happy to help.

OJ

Advertisement