Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing Programs in Linux

• 22-02-2006 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Hi I downloaded a program to make my Zen Sleek mp3 player work under Linux. Its called KZenExplorer and the file is kzenexplorer-0.6.tar.bz2.

Right I'm used to windows easy install and am having trouble getting my head around it in Linux.

If I download a file is there a particular place the file has to be placed in order for configure to work after being un-tared?

Reason I asked is I downloaded the above file on my work windows pc, stuck it on a usb stick and stuck it in my Linux pc at home. I saved the file to /home and used the terminal to cd /home and then tar -jxvf kzenexplorer-0.6.tar.bz2. This seemed to work as it un-tared the file but try as I might I kept getting told there was no configure command, did not recognise it etc. This the second time I've tried something like this and no joy.

What am I doing wrong?

This is so frustrating as windows which is supposed to be inferior to Linux is soooo much easier to use.

Help!

Also this file requires two libraries. Suppose I should have these installed before trying configure. Where do I place the libraries? I thought maybe /usr/lib. I was told that I cant drag & drop files to /usr/lib so how do I install them and where?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

What libraries does it say you need?
    You'll need to install them using a package manager -
    it'll take care of putting them in the right place.
    Use google, and search for libnjb (or whatever) suse rpm.

What distribution are you using at the moment?
    The package management commands are different for each.

If you're still using OpenSUSE, you should probably run Yast,
    and look for package management.

Search for the libraries mentioned, and select them for install.
    If you're building your application, you'll also need the library packages
    with the same name with -dev- or -devel- in the title.

Then go back in to the directory where you uncompressed
    the archive and run ./configure the ./ is important,
    as the directory is unlikely to be on your path.
    It'll let you know if there are any other requirements.

You might be better off looking for a Suse package of the program
    instead of trying to build it yourself. Try here.

It's good to know how to compile and install software, so go through the steps, but if it goes wrong that rpm might get you running.
    I'd suggest starting to learn about compiling and installing with
    simpler packages. As a ruthless generalization, I'd suggest that
    any program whose name begins with 'k' is more difficult
    to compile than normal :-)
    It looks far from straightforward to build, and there are alternatives.
    (Thank you apt-cache search...)
    Try out gnomad or neutrino if you can't get it to build.

Good luck with the Zen,
    NiallB

Advertisement