Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 2.0D fuel consumption

Options
  • 22-02-2006 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi does anyone have a new 2.0diesel volvo s40??

if so what fuel consumption are you getting out of it?

in L per 100km

and how many km per tank?

i got 578km out of my first full tank..on S40 2.0diesel:eek:

im averaging 7.0L per 100km.. with easy motorway driving

thanks for the info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

I got a V50 2.0D a few weeks back which would be similar.

At the moment according to the trip computer I'm averaging 6.5 litres/100 km. Its been gradually coming down - when I got it first it was reading something like 12 L/100km but fell fairly quickly to about 7.5. Since then its coming down consistently but slowly. I have about 5,500 km on the clock now and that figure is the average consumption from new.

I cover a mixture of long and short journeys, and everything from motorway driving to urban traffic to country roads. I don't tend to drive the car too hard. 6th gear when you can use it is great for improving economy btw...

Note, the fuel tank on the diesel is only 52 litres which is rather small. Hence trips to refill are more frequent than you would expect, albeit the amount it costs to fill is less....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

EIN wrote:

im averaging 7.0L per 100km.. with easy motorway driving

That is about 33mpg, which does seem very very low. Give the engine a few thousand k to settle down though. Having said that it appears people are generally unhappy with the economy of the engine: http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97783

(correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 2.0 as fitted in the c-max is the same as the volvo, but different from the mondeo version...)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

maidhc wrote:
    That is about 33mpg, which does seem very very low. Give the engine a few thousand k to settle down though. Having said that it appears people are generally unhappy with the economy of the engine: http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97783

(correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 2.0 as fitted in the c-max is the same as the volvo, but different from the mondeo version...)
    Actually it's closer to 40mpg. Be very, very careful about online mpg converters, as often they use US gallons instead of Imperial gallons which are 25% bigger.

But, yes, you're right that there are a lot of people with 2.0TDCi C-Maxes who are very unhappy with their fuel consumption, although a recent s/w update seems to have helped some people in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote:
    Actually it's closer to 40mpg

Correct.

Anyone that wants to convert can use this formula: (100/x)/1.609*8*0.568 (with x being the liters per 100km) to get the MPG

7l/100km is not good at all for easy motorway driving in the diesel. As others said, I have seen many reports of disappointed owners of the engine in the Focus C-MAX, I suppose it's the same for the S40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

..thats something that has being bugging me. How do i convert MPG to Litres/100K. Does any one know a sure-fire way.

BTW. 40MPG sounds awfully low for a 2Litre diesel. I know that the new 320d gets close to 50!

(i on the other hand drive a 12 year old mercedes estate....petrol. Just aswell i like to cycle!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

the car has only about 1032 km on it so it might just need another few km on the clock for the economy to improve...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I am really (really) crap at maths (and I did use an online calculator) but

If the volvo holds 52l (and 1 Imp gal is 4.54l) it should hold about 11.4 gals.

The car returns 578km which is 361mls

361/11.4 = 32mpg.

I am probably publically advertising my stupidity, but where am I gone wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How do i convert MPG to Litres/100K. Does any one know a sure-fire way

100/(x*1.609/(8*0.568))

(with x being the MPG)

i was driving a nissan pathfinder 2.5 5 dr 4x4 jeep a while back and the fuel consumption was reading 7.3L /100 km.

but it had about 5,000 km on the clock...

i wonder if i have a tiny hole in my fuel tank?

haha.. i was driving a 05 1.4 diesel saloon before i got the volvo and i got bout 700-800 at worst km per tank.

i averaged about between 50 and 55mpg with that car..

the figures that volvo give for consumption on the s40 dont seem to add up??

??

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    I am really (really) crap at maths (and I did use an online calculator) but

If the volvo holds 52l (and 1 Imp gal is 4.54l) it should hold about 11.4 gals.

The car returns 578km which is 361mls

361/11.4 = 32mpg.

I am probably publically advertising my stupidity, but where am I gone wrong?

something sounds funny if the car holds 52L and i get 578km for a tank of fuel
    the car is telling me my average consumption is 7.1L / 100km

7.1L/100km = 39.79 Miles per Imperial Gallon
    doesent add up?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

The fuel guage tends to run down to the red mark very quickly even though there is plenty of fuel left, so possibly you could have done a fair few more km before refilling. I know that on my car I can easily get over 700 km on a tankful without getting stressed I am going to run out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

C-Max TDCI and Volvo engines are identical.

I have a 1.6 Focus C-Max TDCI and the economy from that is excellent. 40mpg around town and up to 60mpg on a longer run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tiger Jim

I have an 02 1.8 TDCi Focus and 44mpg is the worst I have got. I once got 62mpg on a long spin.
    That Volvo seems to be heavy on juice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I am getting 35mpg with mixed driving on an 8 year old 3 litre automatic diesel. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

61.8 is displayed on my Leon PD150, thats with the cruise control on constantly for the last 3 months, not going to mention whats speeds i've been doing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Whats a Leon PD150 ? Just curious ? By any chance is it the Cupra TDi ? Or something similar I have seen in the top gear magazine.

Hj

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

61.8 is displayed on my Leon PD150, thats with the cruise control on constantly for the last 3 months, not going to mention whats speeds i've been doing :o

Is that instant or average mpg? If it's instant you aren't going that fast and if it's average I simply don't believe you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

it was the average, boy was (am) I bored! I've had it up to 65. the other reading goes crazy 85 - 120! :v: high mileage diesels dont forget. running in the 80k's at the moment

well i slowed down a bit , stuck at 55-56mph and stopped using cruise control
    now i am getting 5.9L/100km approx 47.8 mpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

EIN wrote:
    well i slowed down a bit , stuck at 55-56mph and stopped using cruise control
    now i am getting 5.9L/100km approx 47.8 mpg

How are u finding it now?

Advertisement