Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL & Line Rental

• 22-02-2006 11:49am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK been looking around for broadband and I like the look of NTL BB & TV.

But I can find any mention of NTL charging line rental so I'm assuming that the digi box they provide also provides the BB. Is this correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

No, you get a cable modem. If you already have NTL cable, you will "only" pay for the broadband on top of the existing TV service. You need to have the analogue service minimally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Blaster99 wrote:
    No, you get a cable modem. If you already have NTL cable, you will "only" pay for the broadband on top of the existing TV service. You need to have the analogue service minimally.
    I have nothing as it is.

All I want is tv and bb (no phone line) so from whay your are saying is that my BB costs will be just added to tv bill i.e. no line rental charges (like say BT may charge)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kearnsr wrote:
    I have nothing as it is.

All I want is tv and bb (no phone line) so from whay your are saying is that my BB costs will be just added to tv bill i.e. no line rental charges (like say BT may charge)?
    Correct. The two services come in over the same cable. So you pay your digital TV charge and your BB charge. There's no line rental with NTL.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

seamus wrote:
    Correct. The two services come in over the same cable. So you pay your digital TV charge and your BB charge. There's no line rental with NTL.

Would that make NTL one of the cheapest on the market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

kearnsr wrote:
    Would that make NTL one of the cheapest on the market?

If you factor out line rental yes. However you do have to have their analgue package. I would have this anyway (unlike a phone line) so for me it is one fo the cheapest. Some will disagree as they do not want the TV service and see the TV charge as extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

paulm17781 wrote:
    If you factor out line rental yes. However you do have to have their analgue package. I would have this anyway (unlike a phone line) so for me it is one fo the cheapest. Some will disagree as they do not want the TV service and see the TV charge as extra.
    It is fair to say though that there's no line rental. At the end of the day, whether you want the analogue service or not, they are still supplying you with a service that you're paying for. Line rental is essentially money for nothing.

paulm17781 wrote:

I'm hopefully buying a house soon so I'll want tv & broadband (have a mobile for phone) so if I dont need to pay line rental I wont.

Just checkin it out and €30 for tv plus €30 for bb seems ok with me.

seamus wrote:
    they are still supplying you with a service that you're paying for. Line rental is essentially money for nothing.

I agree with this 100%. It is just that some people don't.
    kearnsr wrote:

I'm hopefully buying a house soon so I'll want tv & broadband (have a mobile for phone) so if I dont need to pay line rental I wont.

Maybe have a look into VOIP as an alternative?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

http://www.blueface.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

There have been several people on here who have reported being able to get the analog TV free for 12 months. Think it goes something like, you ask for broadband, they say you need a minimum tv package first, you say I don't watch TV, if I have to pay for TV pack I might as well switch to Smart etc....
    grumble ... grumble ... grumble .... then they say tell you what we'll throw in analog TV free for a year. Of course they hope you'll upgrade to digital or at the least not jump ship when the start charging for the TV after the year.

Or maybe just tell them you know they've offered this deal to others

paulm17781 wrote:
    I agree with this 100%. It is just that some people don't.

Maybe have a look into VOIP as an alternative?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

http://www.blueface.ie

I know about voip but the only time I use it is for rining people who have it on their pc/macs. The mobile is for people who need to contact me & since most of my calls are during office hours I'd use the office phone for that.

VOIP is a great idea though!
    There have been several people on here who have reported being able to get the analog TV free for 12 months. Think it goes something like, you ask for broadband, they say you need a minimum tv package first, you say I don't watch TV, if I have to pay for TV pack I might as well switch to Smart etc....
    grumble ... grumble ... grumble .... then they say tell you what we'll throw in analog TV free for a year. Of course they hope you'll upgrade to digital or at the least not jump ship when the start charging for the TV after the year.

Or maybe just tell them you know they've offered this deal to others

Might try that but I nearly have my heart set on digital. Never had it before and would love to see what its like

• Advertisement

That is pseduo VOIP. Proper VOIP works just like a regular telephone service with a few additional features.

Advertisement