Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Modem quick question

• 22-02-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,613 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is the NTL provided modem linked to your account, i.e. based on the MAC address of the modem? I some how seem to think it is, but I'd like someone to confirm / deny it!

The reason I ask is that I have the 120 and I know someone with a 250. I'd like to try his in my setup to see if it makes any improvements to my VOIP setup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

AFAIK it is. Bring your ATA to their house. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,613 ✭✭✭✭unkel

paulm17781 wrote:
    Bring your ATA to their house. ;)

LOL, didn't think of that - thanks Paul

Just off the phone to NTL - Sales. Engineer will be out with a new modem next Monday morning :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, they are currently replacing all the old 120's with the 250's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Also, when you connect the ATA to your friends modem, you will have to repower their modem. People often forget this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,613 ✭✭✭✭unkel

paulm17781 wrote:
    Also, when you connect the ATA to your friends modem, you will have to repower their modem. People often forget this. :)

Yeah when I move bits around, I usually reboot them in order of connection position from where the cable is plugged into the wall just to be sure. In my case order of reboot: 1. cable modem -> 2. netgear ATA router -> 3. SMC wireless router

• Advertisement
Advertisement