Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3 doomed

• 22-02-2006 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

If ITV UtV take over Tve

1. we lose a channel
    2. we have Itv , which is in and around 90% pernertration
    3. We lose an irish public channel
    4. English crappy shows will alter our culture
    5. we will turn into an emmerdale sitcom

6. God knows

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

eh, tv3 show practically zero irish made programs, plus they already show tonnes of brit-crap like emmerdale and corination steet

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Oh come on, tv3 is pretty much a copy of utv anyway, with diffrent movies and morning rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

UTV currently has a 7.2% share in TV3 which IMO can be plainly seen in the showing of Corrie, Emmerdale, I'm a pseudo celeb etc. I think things would just continue down that line with TV3 becoming more of a mirror of UTV than it already is. AFAIK TV3 has some local programme and news requirements to meet, but I am sure they are covering the bare minimum as it is. I think this would just continue as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

If They buy it out that means we willl either lose Tv3 or have and ITV UTV AN ANOTHER "UTV3"

we will lose some international programms from Canada/ America
    Will and grace
    Judging Amy
    Law and Order
    Chicgo Hope
    Opera Winfrey etc...

Apart from the English sh!te we do at aleast have some good imported progs. IIM.

What will happen to the Irish 10% holding of the station?
    we wiill lose Claire byrne????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

mysterious wrote:
    If They buy it out that means we willl either lose Tv3 or have and ITV UTV AN ANOTHER "UTV3"

we will lose some international programms from Canada/ America
    Will and grace
    Judging Amy
    Law and Order
    Chicgo Hope
    Opera Winfrey etc...

Apart from the English sh!te we do at aleast have some good imported progs. IIM.

What will happen to the Irish 10% holding of the station?

Hold on chicken little, how do you think we're going to lose all of the above?

ITV aren't morons, they're aware that 90% of the Irish population already gets their station and are hardly going to just switch the station into another copy cat of what they are showing on their main station.

How on earth are the going to make money doing that???????

Also all of the programs above have been bought at a cheaper rate than the uk because the size of the Irish market is smaller, therefore less advertising revenue, therefore less money to be made, so Tv3 gets them cheaper than the Uk so theres no reason to worry your pretty little head over oprah or judging amy.

Jesus. people can be really clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

mysterious wrote:
    4. English crappy shows will alter our culture
    you mean they haven't already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

mysterious wrote:
    TV3 Doomed

We can only hope it is. EVERYTHING* and everyone** on it is pure tripe!!! Their news is made for tabloid-reading brainless types and everything else is the dumbest of the dumb imports available.
    I'd actually be willing to pay a bigger tv licence fee for the privilege of having TV3 scrapped!

*ok so they have arressted development now and then but I never know when it's on so that doesn't really count!

** no exceptions to this one

We can only hope it is. EVERYTHING* and everyone** on it is pure tripe!!! Their news is made for tabloid-reading brainless types and everything else is the dumbest of the dumb imports available.
    I'd actually be willing to pay a bigger tv licence fee for the privilege of having TV3 scrapped!

*ok so they have arressted development now and then but I never know when it's on so that doesn't really count!

** no exceptions to this one

We all know ITV have just ruined it.. But there are some good shows on it to. Like Buffy and Charmed to name a few? the only other option of getting them is having digital, and those shows have being on tv3 for years long before the UK had them!

Freelancer wrote:
    Hold on chicken little,
    Hold on roadrunner! :D I just called out a list, a list is a list! "meh meh mep " :D

Freelancer wrote:
    ITV aren't morons, they're aware that 90% of the Irish population already gets their station and are hardly going to just switch the station into another copy cat of what they are showing on their main station.

Really, I totally agree with you there....

But, Nothing is clear yet either .I was talking to a guy who works in a cable company and he heard that UTV were interested in making an all ireland UTV
    , so some of the progs could be under threat, just cus you say otherwise doesn’t mean I should or others should take it as gold.
    Freelancer wrote:
    Also all of the programs above have been bought at a cheaper rate than the uk because the size of the Irish market is smaller, therefore less advertising revenue, therefore less money to be made, so Tv3 gets them cheaper than the Uk

You give to much information :D its no wonder some people appear clueless to you, but what you perceive me as, is irrelevant..... :p
    Freelancer wrote:
    So there’s no reason to worry your pretty little head over oprah or judging Amy

Jesus. People can be really clueless.

Hold me back, hold me back , before.....I... ehhhhh,

Finally again the progs was a (((((list)))) that's a list, more like what's on the TV? does not necessarily mean I watch it, to give my ending line... I'm not worried at all:) ;) just making conversation mate.

Back to stir my soup and watch more Chicago hope and after that a bit of judge Judy, sometimes you never know what
    you might see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Mmmm Morans??????????

UTV get 1/3 of their revenue from the republic, 1/3 coming from ITV and 1/3 from "ulster".

UTV and TV3 (which are pretty much the same channel) get 23% the total audience. TV3 15% relys heavily on ITV programming. It american shows barely get 120,000 viewers. It would make sence to merge ITV on the Island. ITV:Ireland

we lose a channel

That happened back in 2001.

We can all be in agreement that TV3 don't have the best American Imports. I cann't think of anything from america worth watching.

ITV hold the right to many american show which are just as crap and TV3 can scheldule them into their schedule.

sometimes you never know what you might see...

Setanta might buy the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Why do you care so much anyway. Its a shambles of a channel. Not even any good movies on it anymore. Its Already pretty much like ITV anyway so it wont change much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The Shield is good though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

whiteboard wrote:
    UTV currently has a 7.2% share in TV3 which IMO can be plainly seen in the showing of Corrie, Emmerdale, I'm a pseudo celeb etc.QUOTE]
    I thought it was Granada (now called ITV), who had a 45%, CanWest Global Communications have another 45% and the original owners have the remaining 10%. TV3 got the rights to simulcast the granada programmes following the purchase of the 45% stake.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Cactus Col wrote:
    The Shield is good though

and huff was decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mysterious wrote:

Ah so it's not all bad news then... :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wertz wrote:
    Ah so it's not all bad news then... :v:
    Claire Byrne isn't the worst, I would pay good money to watch any politician spit on Ursula Halligan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The only thing I'd be worried about is the fact that we will probably get to see one less cl match a week as the irish itv will show the same match as the uk one. the rest I could'nt care less about, I can see it all on other channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Stekelly wrote:
    The only thing I'd be worried about is the fact that we will probably get to see one less cl match a week as the irish itv will show the same match as the uk one

not at all, TV3 lost the rights to the CL from next season onwards. RTÉ and Setanta have them now. both to show 2 live matches a week i believe so if you are an ntl customer you get more choice for no extra cost

oh and no Trevor Welsh to ruin the matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mysterious wrote:
    Judging Amy
    That's finished for good anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Oh come on. I think we seen the end of TV3 on Monday night when on the Sky Guide under synopsis for Corrie:

"......Press Red for cath-ups, sneak previews....." and that's just what ITV had on their synopsis.

Elmo wrote:

We can all be in agreement that TV3 don't have the best American Imports. I cann't think of anything from america worth watching.

ITV hold the right to many american show which are just as crap and TV3 can scheldule them into their schedule.

Setanta might buy the channel.

Right what are you watching hybrid celeb get me out of Corrie? :eek:
    whos "We" Not all the American shows are that bad.... as some of the American shows have huge ratings over in duh America? Like Fox and NBC which have quite a few imports on Tv3..

MY GOD, the whole point is we have enough of ITV we have piles of sh!te soaps and British Channels do we really need another Fecken ITV, And yes I know Tv3 are pretty much sh!te at the best of times, but hell,

My whole point is i am sick to the teeth of turning on ITV, UTV, AND ,TV3 when you can total that Corrie and Emmerdale are on at least 12 times a bloody
    day

And if I had my Rifle, (I don't have one, but) I would blow the head and balls off Ant and Dec. It would bring TV to an exceptional qualtiy programming!!!!!!!!

bang! bang!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Malcolm In the Middle (fox)
    Arrested Development (fox)

Any other shows?
    as some of the American shows have huge ratings over in duh America? Like Fox and NBC which have quite a few imports on Tv3..

Yes but this is Ireland and their shows on TV3 don't do as well.
    More like TV3 have imports from Fox and NBC on their channel.

None of the big american shows are on TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

No-one cares. TV3 has very little Irish programming, besides the news, The Political Party, and Ireland AM. Most of its output is either American or British, so, if UTV or ITV were to take over TV3, it would have very little effect, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I'm sure RTE will do their best to accommodate you on getting the TV licence fee increased. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

lets not be too critical of TV3.

From their promo piece on their site.
    http://www.tv3.ie/media.php?action=news&id=66

They are bringing us or have brought us

"COMMITTED is the latest comedy with an edge from creators/executive producers Eileen Heisler and DeAnn Heline (Roseanne, Murphy Brown and Ellen) that casts an off-kilter eye on the bizarre whirlwind courtship of two opposites who attract each other despite outrageous circumstances. "

"Other great new series starting this season on TV3 include the jaw gripping special CELEBRITY SHARK BAIT when a group of celebrities prepare for the challenge of their lives - to get in the water with a Great White! "

"CROSSING JORDAN stars Jill Hennessy (Law & Order) as Dr. Jordan Cavanaugh, a sexy, smart and fearless Boston medical examiner with a chequered career past who works under the guidance of Dr. Garret Macy (Miguel Ferrer, Traffic). Her unorthodox methods constantly test her professional and personal relationship with Detective Woodrow “Woody” Hoyt (Jerry O’Connell, Jerry Maguire), who the coroners rely on to put in the legwork to hunt down the life-size perpetrators of the crimes they investigate."

"Other new series viewers can look forward to include CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE starring Emmy Award-nominee John Goodman in a great new comedy also starring Emmy Award-winner Ed Asner and Academy Award-winner Olympia Dukakis"

"Ant and Dec will be returning to the jungle with I’M A CELEBRITY GET ME OUT OF HERE and favourites such as AMERICAN IDOL, BAD GIRLS, FOOTBALLERS’ WIVES and ULTIMATE FORCE return to entertain viewers with drama of the highest standard into 2006"

They will be sadly missed.

My question is how bad a program must be to not make this list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Indeed.

I see TV3 are launching one or two genuine Irish-made programmes soon - can't remember what they are. Needless to say just as their licence is coming up for review :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Indeed.

I see TV3 are launching one or two genuine Irish-made programmes soon - can't remember what they are. Needless to say just as their licence is coming up for review :rolleyes:

Ooohhh. I can't wait:rolleyes:

TV3 is the big turd of Irish (use the term loosely) Broadcasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Ah screw it, maybe UTV will invest in some homegrown shows, TV3 have done sod all so far, in fact, nothing at all. It's already ITV anyway so who cares. It might actually be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

smashey wrote:
    TV3 is the big turd of Irish (use the term loosely) Broadcasting.

Exactly.

Ah but in all fairness it does have one good point: when you want to watch repeats of Parkinson from 3 weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon, TV3 is the place to be. :rolleyes: :D

Advertisement