Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostess twinkies

• 22-02-2006 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭

I've seen these things on TV for years. Anyone know if they are actually nice enough to warrant paying for shipping to here from America? Dont want to pay a fortune and find out they're the same as something we can buy here anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

I have to say, I dont get all the hype that surrounds twinkies. A friend of mine brought me back some Hostess twinkies from America last month and all they basically are is a very sweet sponge with a cream filling. I was left really disappointed. Maybe my expectations were a little high.

If they were on sale here, I wouldnt be rushing out to the shop to buy them. IMO cadburys mini rolls are much nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

It's weird how some things seem so fantastic when you see them on tv for years. Krispy Kremes lived up to the expectations though. When I discovered you could get them in London I was ecstatic and had one every day. When I went back home to Birmingham and went shopping in town I discovered we'd gotten our very own one too. My brother eats about 7 in a row when we get a dozen but I can barely eat 1. So sugary but gooood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Twinkies are disgusting, Imagine a sweet that is designed to outlive the cockroaches if it came to a nuclear war.......I dont understand the hype surrounding them and think it has to be a cultural thing.
    All you have is a sweet sponge, and fake cream in the middle, just sweet horrible fake cream, definitely not something that I would bother with, if however there was to be a nuclear war..............:v: :v: :v: :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

since we're kinda on the subject of American sweets any ever try moon pies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

since we're kinda on the subject of American sweets any ever try moon pies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Twinkies are disgusting, Imagine a sweet that is designed to outlive the cockroaches if it came to a nuclear war.......I dont understand the hype surrounding them and think it has to be a cultural thing.
    All you have is a sweet sponge, and fake cream in the middle, just sweet horrible fake cream, definitely not something that I would bother with, if however there was to be a nuclear war..............:v: :v: :v: :v:
    You get get outta the wrong side of the bed this morning???

memphis wrote:
    You get get outta the wrong side of the bed this morning???

How come? I'm just my usual "friendly", by friendly I actually mean axe-murderer, self, what's the problem? :v::v:

<edit> I bet you think the cockroaches would last longer.....fool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I personally think twinkies are over rated completely, and are just so and so to eat. Not horrible, but to answer your question, in no way worth importing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Archeron

thanks for the advice, i shall avoid paying the ridiculous shipping charges in that case. (some dude wanted 42 US dollars to ship a pack of 24!!) As for moon pie, i tried Irish version once at my Bro's wedding. Flipping lovely, but it taste like something thats so bad for you, it should be illegal. Whats the American version?

Blub2k4 wrote:
    How come? I'm just my usual "friendly", by friendly I actually mean axe-murderer, self, what's the problem? :v::v:

<edit> I bet you think the cockroaches would last longer.....fool!
    Hummmm,

Interesting sense of humour you got there!!!

Anyway, post at will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Archeron wrote:
    thanks for the advice, i shall avoid paying the ridiculous shipping charges in that case. (some dude wanted 42 US dollars to ship a pack of 24!!) As for moon pie, i tried Irish version once at my Bro's wedding. Flipping lovely, but it taste like something thats so bad for you, it should be illegal. Whats the American version?

Wise move. I tried them in 2000 after hearing so much about them (mainly from Die Hard) and thought "eh, these aren't great...". Four years later, after hearing various cultural references all over again, I began thinking "maybe it's something you need to give a second chance to" so I tried again and, still, very bland, very boring cream puffs. Nothing more. I presume the Americans just don't have good - or even mediocre - bakeries, because any product from them easily trumps this.

In short - well done, don't bother importing twinkies.

Any chocolate or confectionaries I ever tasted while living in the US (spent a summer in Boston on a J1) tasted just terrible. There chocolate in particular is rotten, seems to have a really bad taste of coco powder or something. Certainly not like the milk chocolate we know of here in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

As you talk about sweets from abroad: every foreigner (me included) will say that the chocolate you get in irish supermarkets is, well, a bit tastily challenged compared to the continental one. So it must be a cultural thing.

How bad must the stuff from the states taste if you love your cadburys "chocolate" and roses (yuk!).. ;)

But i lovelovelove cream eggs!

IB:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

yea i know what you mean memphis, the choclate in america sucks, well alot of it, when i was living there i went to an irish shop to buy irish chocolate

whatever you do dont eat twinkies with a few green spots on the bottom of them, i took a bite out of one before realising they were gone off, as i didnt see the green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I ate chocolate from American and thought it had an aftertaste - of actual vomit. not joking.

I thought it was just me as everyone was telling me how lovely it was so I had ah sure maybe my tastes are crap.

My girlfriend came into me one day after eating some of the same chocolate and complained it tasted of puke...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Yank chocolate is way too waxy! Cadburys all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

They are €15 for a box of ten Here shipping should only be a few quid too. I think there nice neway :)

CC

HavoK wrote:
    I ate chocolate from American and thought it had an aftertaste - of actual vomit. not joking.

I thought it was just me as everyone was telling me how lovely it was so I had ah sure maybe my tastes are crap.

My girlfriend came into me one day after eating some of the same chocolate and complained it tasted of puke...

I got this before off of Hershie kisses that some coworker or other brought back.
    I was the only one who was complaining about the acrid vomitty taste although others didn't like them either they didn't associate with vomit.
    puke only goes one way in my system so needless to say I dont like the chocolate.
    Having said that I really like the peanut cups from Reeses, but they may be made here as the chocolate is distinctly non-vomitty. (is that a word? meh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Archeron

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I
    Having said that I really like the peanut cups from Reeses, but they may be made here as the chocolate is distinctly non-vomitty. (is that a word? meh)

Really? I thought that was kind of like eating nutty glue. I like the nutty aspect, but the glue part doesnt agree with me at all. Non-vomitty, LOL.

Ok.... too much negativity being thrown about in this thread. Am a wee bit tired of all the digusting comments of vomitting, and the like.

Add that to the fact that I'm suffering from pre-exam stress.... and you can clearly understand why i'm closing off this thread.

Badda Bing!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement