Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl / Adsl2

• 22-02-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I'm going to the states in a few weeks and I'm hoping to pick up a cheap all in one wireless router/modem. I have been having a look at some sites and it seems that some of the routers have an ADSL2 modem built in. Would this type of modem work here? BTW I'm with UTV if it makes any difference

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Should but remember to get a new transformer when you come back america 110v Ireland 220v

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd advice you to get a Broadband router, that doesn't include any type of modem. The advantage being that you can continue to use the router in future if you were to move to a different standard like cable BB, wireless, VDSL, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

Should but remember to get a new transformer when you come back america 110v Ireland 220v

They are nearly always 110-240v transformers so they work perfectly here, bar the 2 pin plug.

Also check the specs on them, most of the linksys ones are both adsl and adsl2 compatible

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lemeister wrote:
    I'm going to the states in a few weeks and I'm hoping to pick up a cheap all in one wireless router/modem. I have been having a look at some sites and it seems that some of the routers have an ADSL2 modem built in. Would this type of modem work here? BTW I'm with UTV if it makes any difference

How much of a saving are you going to make that would justify the bother and the risk of it going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

dub45 wrote:
    How much of a saving are you going to make that would justify the bother and the risk of it going wrong?

No idea to be honest, and if it's not substantial I won't bother getting one in the states. I just wanted to have some knowledge of potential issues in case I do see a good bargain.
    Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I think it's totally not worth it, to bother for maybe 10 euro difference?

Advertisement