Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlement to replacement of a faulty replacement product!

Options
  • 22-02-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

If a replacement of a faulty product itself goes faulty after 7 months, am i entitled to a 2nd replacement?

Story is, bought Argos shaver in Nov '04, it stopped working properly(wouldn't charge) in July '05, got brand new replacement immediately as Argos have policy of replace/repair within 1 year period of warranty(retailers)
    Now the replacement shaver itself has done the same fault, am i entitled to a 2nd replacement as the 1st replacement was given to me less than 1 year ago?

What am i rights regarding this? I sent off mail to Argos, awaiting reply.
    Curious as to what expert opinons are here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Your one year warranty should've started anew on receipt of the new electric razor. I assume you have your new receipt to hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

No, you have a warranty for a year, starting from purchase. So your warranty ran out in Nov 05.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Pythia wrote:
    No, you have a warranty for a year, starting from purchase. So your warranty ran out in Nov 05.
    The product has a 1 year warranty but that is with the manufacturer. You won't get any justice from the store really. They have effectively met their obligation as the store but you needed to havve proof of purcahse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Your warranty is from the date you first bought the item. I work for Argos, and thats exactly what they'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Nightwish wrote:
    Your warranty is from the date you first bought the item. I work for Argos, and thats exactly what they'll tell you.
    When I worked in Currys in the North if we replaced a fauly item under warranty the replacement had 12 months on it from the date of replacement. The customer would get a new receipt as proof of replacement. To me that just makes sense, products come with a 12 month warranty, if you get a new one why would it not have 12 months?

Of course I could be wrong but why would a product not have a 12 month warranty from the manufacturer simply because it was a replacement? I know that in Currys a lot of larger items, like TVs, were bought from the manufacturer without warranties in order to bring the cost down. Currys took on the risk of faults themselves. At the same time it was always called 12 months manufacturers warranty.

MrP

• Advertisement

the reason why the warranty is from the original date of purchase is because the replacement item is counted as being the original item in a repaired state.The guarantee from the ORIGINAL item, carries through to the REPLACED item. The problem is that people use the replacement item for refunds/exchanges where they're not entitled to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

my understanding is that when a product is purchased it comes with (usually) a one year warranty for which most shop will replace the item free of charge with proof of purchase.

Any replacement of the original product should come with a receipt as proof of purchase/replacement date.

the replacement product will now have a one year manufacturers warranty (comes in the box)which one will have to deal with them directly some shops may oblige

Question is why would a product fresh off the shelf have one year warranty when a replacement say for arguments replaced after 10 months will only have 2 months warranty its not a valid argument. Mr pudding point is correct

Also with repaired products the repair comes with an additional 12 months but not the rest of the product so for example if a T.V's on/off button broke it would be replaced and then should it go again within the next 12 months would be replaced again but if after the 13th month the remote broke there would be no grounds for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

From my understanding, all repaired/replaced products have an extended warranty of 3 months, or the remainder of the 1 year warranty, whichever is longer. It may very from store to store, but to be honest, you're probably not getting anything from argos as they aren't in the wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the replacement product will now have a one year manufacturers warranty (comes in the box)which one will have to deal with them directly some shops may oblige
    That is true.
    I would not expect a new receipt and new warranty with the shop. Also if the manufacturer find out it was a replacement I think they can refuse the warranty over the one year.
    Otherwise people would purposely break items that are known to only last a few years and get replacements. Like kettles, toasters, videos. If you got a item like a mp3 player it would probably be upgraded each year since the old one is obsolete.

rubadub wrote:
    That is true.
    I would not expect a new receipt and new warranty with the shop. Also if the manufacturer find out it was a replacement I think they can refuse the warranty over the one year.
    Otherwise people would purposely break items that are known to only last a few years and get replacements. Like kettles, toasters, videos. If you got a item like a mp3 player it would probably be upgraded each year since the old one is obsolete.
    Thats exactly what happens. I see it everyday at the customer services desk. When the video iPod came out, people were bringing back their old ones claiming they were faulty (which they weren't on checking) and trying to exchange them for the new models.

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote:
    Thats exactly what happens. I see it everyday at the customer services desk. When the video iPod came out, people were bringing back their old ones claiming they were faulty (which they weren't on checking) and trying to exchange them for the new models.
    well first of all changing them for newer models breaks the rules cause they are only entitled to a repair or replacement of similar value so that should set off alarm bells straight away plus any shop should never do anything without first checking out the product themselves to see that they are actually broken, the amount of people i have come across who claim something is broken just to get their money back or like the above to "upgrade" it is up to the shop to be vigilant but still any replacement should come with a new one year warranty, thats why manufacturers get you to register with them so that when you register again they will contact the shop and find out whats the deal,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrPudding wrote:
    When I worked in Currys in the North if we replaced a fauly item under warranty the replacement had 12 months on it from the date of replacement. The customer would get a new receipt as proof of replacement. To me that just makes sense, products come with a 12 month warranty, if you get a new one why would it not have 12 months?

Of course I could be wrong but why would a product not have a 12 month warranty from the manufacturer simply because it was a replacement? I know that in Currys a lot of larger items, like TVs, were bought from the manufacturer without warranties in order to bring the cost down. Currys took on the risk of faults themselves. At the same time it was always called 12 months manufacturers warranty.

MrP

If that was teh case you could keep breakign the item every 11 months and have a never ending warranty.

well first of all changing them for newer models breaks the rules cause they are only entitled to a repair or replacement of similar value so that should set off alarm bells straight away plus any shop should never do anything without first checking out the product themselves to see that they are actually broken, the amount of people i have come across who claim something is broken just to get their money back or like the above to "upgrade" it is up to the shop to be vigilant but still any replacement should come with a new one year warranty, thats why manufacturers get you to register with them so that when you register again they will contact the shop and find out whats the deal,

But if the old one is no longer available, the shop will give you the newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nightwish wrote:
    Noticed the same thing the month the slimline PS2 came out... the amount of people that claimed their old-model PS2 consoles were faulty then was unreal.

Stekelly wrote:
    But if the old one is no longer available, the shop will give you the newer version.
    correct but to the same monetry value or the customer pays the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

correct but to the same monetry value or the customer pays the difference

Generally, with electronics anyway, the price of the new model is the same or cheaper than th epreviouse one. Had a guy in the other day, that was given a replacement of a new model, but didnt want it as it was cheaper than the previous model, he wanted his broken one fixed. It was a discman and generally with discmen, especially the cheaper ones, manufacturers operate an IWX ( in warranty exchange) rather than repair, meanign teh customer gets a new item straight away.

Stekelly wrote:
    Generally, with electronics anyway, the price of the new model is the same or cheaper than th epreviouse one. Had a guy in the other day, that was given a replacement of a new model, but didnt want it as it was cheaper than the previous model, he wanted his broken one fixed. It was a discman and generally with discmen, especially the cheaper ones, manufacturers operate an IWX ( in warranty exchange) rather than repair, meanign teh customer gets a new item straight away.
    oh ya I know but i refer to upgrades which would be a little more expensive not replacements which generally are cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Stekelly wrote:
    If that was teh case you could keep breakign the item every 11 months and have a never ending warranty.

The warranty did not cover things broken by the customer, only manufacturer faults.

TBH, poeple did not take the piss. If there was any doubt as to whether or not the item was damaged rather than faulty I found that a few pointed questions usually got the punter to admit the truth.

Is this an indication that people in the South are basically a bunch of theives and people in the North are more honest?

MrP

Advertisement