Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any decent lakes near Athlone?

Options
  • 22-02-2006 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering is there any decent lakes near Athlone, or branching off the River Suck?

I'm going with a few mates the weekend after next, staying in a B&B in Athlone, and will goto any lakes, etc, within 30 minutes drive from Athlone. Also, if any of them have boats we can rent out, or any lakes good for pike fishing.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

ummmm lough ree???

the suck is a great river......in the right conditions.

what kinda fishin ya lookin to do?(lures...deadbaits?)
    there is a couple boat hire places round but the lads that run them are ****.
    Id offer to take yas out in the boat that weekend only im fishing a local trout competiton all day sunday so have to get preped for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Lough Ree is simply enormous, and there are loadsa inner lakes off that. Then there's the river - the Shannon, perhaps you've heard of it? I wouldn't bother driving more than 10mins from the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bpmurray wrote:
    Lough Ree is simply enormous, and there are loadsa inner lakes off that. Then there's the river - the Shannon, perhaps you've heard of it? I wouldn't bother driving more than 10mins from the town.
    Dude, everyone knows of the Shannon, but we just want a quite lake to fish on. Saying that, thanks for the info of the "smaller lakes". I'll have a look on the map. Any of them you can say are any good? Don't exactly want to fish in a lake where everything is dead due to a spillage...:rolleyes:
    ummmm lough ree???

the suck is a great river......in the right conditions.

what kinda fishin ya lookin to do?(lures...deadbaits?)
    TBH, I'm proberly only going to be using maggots and worms, and maybe a few of those shiney things (shows ho much of an amuteur I am :( ), but my mates are proberly going to use dead bait for pike fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

well of goin goin maggot drownin go down to the meadows match strech near tomw ...if you ask anyone where the meadows is theyl tell ya.

if your mates are a pikin make sure they put em back as pike killin is gettin bad with the polish and them takin everything for theyr evenin dinner.

Advertisement