Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naas road works

• 22-02-2006 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Well this road is really moving on quickly credit due, Building entirely new roads in and around the busiest stretch of road in the country with little or no disruption is great!

All the bridges are now up and the Steelstown and the other one can't think of the name is now opened to local traffic wishing to cross the naas road without inflicting mainline traffic.

Its only a few months now where tailbacks will become a distant memory along this road, only the mother junction left behind is going to get angry and conjested..... Newlands cross:eek: . a lot done more to do tomorrow Bertie.

Just to spring to mind, I read somewhere recently that a private developer is applying to construct an interchange at millenium Park to the M7 and this route I believe will join the Northern Distrubutor road around Naas which is currently under construction in places. If this news is true then all the Northern suburbs inclu. Sallins and Millenium Park traffic will not have to use the very busy Monread Globe interchange.

On the Globe interchange it appears they are repairing the bridge structures? is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Gotta agree that the contractors have done a bang up job 99% of the time. Online upgades must be a major pita for the project engineers.

Wonder how long we are from a complete scheme? Wonder will they put up decent gantries and VMS displays. They should of course!

That Naas distributor sounds interesting, any info online about that? Sallins traffic should get it's own entry, I was always surprised the original Naas bypass didn't include a junction there on the Sallins Road. S'pose in mid 80's Ireland it was amazing they even built the Naas bypass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

In the mid 80's, Sallins didn't need an interchange! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I just read an article from the Irish Sun on the internet that the 'M50 upgrade is delayed because of a change in toll policy'. Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Yep Bertie and the lads are putting that money towards their pension, shhhhh!
    They annouce an ambitous plan, give the go ahead, have the money, the contractors are ready and oh know where's the money........

ah it must be the tolling policy, I should have known:rolleyes: My arse.

The truth is and Murphaph said it. the contractors are bang on, but wtf is all these delays to get started, I totally blame the Government cus they are making an unlimited amount of exuses not to build the road when It was proposed? this has to wake up ? Billons is to be spent on the National routes? where is it, only a handful of roads have being built since the last development plan, most of which were already started at that period.

I'll try get some online information with regards to the Naas ring road.
    The route is to circle the town removing all through traffic out of the main street artery where dozens of inter county roads converge.

The Sallins to Monread-Millenium park is already built and the Newbrdge to Kilcullen route was to start a number of years ago.

I can't be definate which part is now under construction.
    But it will defeniatly benifet.

I do think the Naas Bypass should get an access point to the M7 regardless.
    Sallins was a dot in the 80s but now it's one of the fastest growing towns in Ireland, so an interchange there would be benificial I guess.

Also I think it's worth mentioning here on this thread, havn't they started building a bus lane from Newcastle to the Monastery road, I see they have widened the strips past the Kingswood interchange and the Newlands city bound direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mysterious wrote:
    Also I think it's worth mentioning here on this thread, havn't they started building a bus lane from Newcastle to the Monastery road, I see they have widened the strips past the Kingswood interchange and the Newlands city bound direction?
    According to SDCC, it's a bus lane from Kingwoods to the the kylemore junction.
    Due to protests from local councillors( FF Councillor Curran especially if I remember correctly) about causing traffic disruption between the red cow roundabout and the long mile road junction, this part of the road will have no bus lane, UNTIL the red cow roundabout is upgraded.
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=22&deptid=12&dpageid=263
    Ironically as I said many times, if SDCC had built the long overdue construction of junction 8(Nanagor Road/Park West) on the M50, then the stretch of road between the red cow roundabout and the long mile road junction wouldn't be near as busy as it is as present. Will they do it, lets just say there's probably a better of the civil service getting around to sending out credit card sized driving licences than there is of junction 8 being constructed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

J8 is unlikely to ever be built IMO. It was originally reserved for the M7 but that definitely won't happen now (discounted on grounds of excessive weaving movements on what is already the busiest stretch of road in Ireland) and using the junction for local access would cause many of the problems it was abandoned in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

murphaph wrote:
    J8 is unlikely to ever be built IMO. It was originally reserved for the M7 but that definitely won't happen now (discounted on grounds of excessive weaving movements on what is already the busiest stretch of road in Ireland) and using the junction for local access would cause many of the problems it was abandoned in the first place.
    Good point, but the junction does appear on long term development maps. If it was carefully designed it could be ok, e.g. ramps to/from the middle of the road rather than the sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

It would make sense to build J8 as it will relieve the N4/N7 slips greatly, I mean its logical!
    Considering that there's a huge town built at Balgaddy and another one built literally beside the proposed J8 at Parkwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yes nothing like the Ryder Cup to move things along swiftly on the N7!

I also notice that they are working on the flyover at Naas (Exit 6) to raise it (I assume).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

When the millenium park was planned, permission was sought for an interchange to the M7 and was refused. It was assumed that the Monread Road would cater for the anticipated traffic volumes in line with the N7 upgrade from Rayhcoole. However as Naas and Sallins grew, it quickly became apparent that this was not working and it had nothing to do with the Millenium park. But the people behind the Millenium park agreed to part fund the Naas distributor road as it ran through their land and in return the question of an interchange on the Sallins road has resurfaced. It is badly needed. But as a local, Naas Town Council are absolutely hopeless. The town and its roads are a disaster and the only real improvements apart from the Monread Road (which was the feature of a "give us back the Monread road" campaign years ago, because it took so long to complete) have been made as part of the national road improvement programme.

As for the distributor road its been promised for longer than I can remember and NO part of it is operational.

• Advertisement
Advertisement