Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with alleged damage of rented house

Options
  • 22-02-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend whose has recently vacated a rented house.

Before leaving she had a visual inspection of the property conducted by the landlord & was assured that everything was fine & that her deposit wold be returned in full. After she had vacated, she received a phonecall to say that one of the slats on a bed was broken & that the would be charging her for repair.

Today she had another phonecall to say that the charge was approx €270 for a new bed.

I've been having a look at the RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 2004 and it mostly refers to making good any repairs.

If anyone could provide some guidance/ advice as to a laymans guide to a legal position, I'dd really appreciate it.

I am aware that we can take it to Private Residential Tenancies Board, but would prefer to settle this quickly, & amicably, if possible.

Many thanks in advance..

SparrowHawk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I would suggest that she request to see the broken bed and also mention that this was not shown when the visual inspection was done.

You could also state the slate was broken due to normal wear and tear as they do quite easily...

After that i dont think anything can be done.
    Generally the slates are replaceable by normal wood.

Ask to see the damaged slate and replace it yourself if it comes to it.

After that tell her to ease down on the rumpy pumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This happened me once, there was actually a know in the piece of timber that was a weak point. I fixed it myself.

The landlord is not entitled to a new bed, he is entitled to a bed that has N years of normal wear and tear.

If they insist on a new bed, demand the old bed from them.

If the slat is just a normal piece of 2x1 timber, the deduction shouldn't be more than say €20 (the timber €1, 5 minutes labour for the rest).

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Hi,

thanks for the quick replies - much appreciated!

She has seen the bed, & from what I can tell, it should be easily repairable (her English is not 100%).

I might use a combination of your suggestions..I'll let you know what the outcome is..

thanks again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

(her English is not 100%).

Sounds like he is trying to rip her off.

You can make the repairs easyily enough yourself. Pop down to your local diy and save her €200

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

I was thinking the same thing, on both counts!

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement