Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

demanding 4x4 - lil help?

Options
  • 22-02-2006 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

just got myself a 96 cherokee 2.5 TD, with a full dealer service history. Very reassuring until I noticed they charge anywhere between 200-350 euro to change the oil and the air & oil filters, depending on the weather it seems.
    And this baby wants them changed often according to the manual.

Anybody reccommend a garage that deals in 4x4s that won't break the bank - Dublin city or suburbs preferably.

cheers

guv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if its just oil/filters you can do it yourself. The age of the vehicle doesnt justfy the cost of bringing it to a garage for jobs you can do yourself. Keep a log of the maintenance done by you for the next possible owner.

Ideally, with most veh-hic-les its a good practice to change the oil and filter every 10K or 6 months. If you are doing a lot of short runs where the engine does not fully warm up, I would do it twice as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

any non franchise garage can do the work for less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Some of the tyre/exhaust centres will do an oil and filter change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

tracked down a set of air/fuel/oil filters on ebay for £35 stg +£23 p&p (ouch).

gonna give fitting them myself a bash at the weekend now that I got the haynes manual.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't ordinary motor factors carry filters etc. for these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The engine in these is made by VM in italy. They're fitted to everything from rover 800's to ford scorpios to opel fronteras and even some landcruisers. It shouldn't be difficult to pick up filters and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

held off on that ebay order and got the filter set for about €45 in Points & Plugs in Prussia st.

Thanks lads!

Here's another one for yiz :o

In the couple of weeks since I have it, reverse seems to be harder and harder to engage. When I'm pulling the stick to the right, I have to pull it as hard as possible before I slide it down into reverse - otherwise theres a grinding sound. Nearly dislocating my elbow at this stage pulling the stick to the right.

Any ideas/suggestions/abuse :D ?

Advertisement