Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"waiting for www.star-adserver.com" - Come on, DUMP THEM!!

Options
  • 22-02-2006 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I'm fed up with that ad site slowing down boards, get rid of it!!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, I'm fed up with that ad site slowing down boards, get rid of it!!
    And you will replace the revenue they bring in will you?

Wow. I really don't know how to respond properly to this little outburst.
    Perhaps "Yes Massah!" is something along the lines of what you expect?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The main problem is DeV, that their server keeps crashing and/or timing out for half of the day, leaving some pages hanging for about 30 seconds while it waits for the page to timeout.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

DeVore wrote:

just wondering, how much does it bring in, roughly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

DeVore wrote:

Wow. I really don't know how to respond properly to this little outburst.
    Perhaps "Yes Massah!" is something along the lines of what you expect?

DeV.
    Touchy!!!

Perhaps a little note to Mr Star-Adserver saying hey, your site is slowing my site down, sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

It's a revenue generator but it is seriously degrading the Boards Browsing Experience.

I hope it's making lots of money or you can get better percentage for all the issues it's causing the site between the slowdown and the adverts getting in the way of menus and the like

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Touchy!!!

Perhaps a little note to Mr Star-Adserver saying hey, your site is slowing my site down, sort it out.
    reread your initial post "I'm fed up with that ad site slowing down boards, get rid of it!!" ... well let me hop right to it sir. I'll drop everything I'm doing, I mean, if YOU'RE fed up well... we can't be having that now can we.
    You snap your fingers verbally at us again and I know exactly what I'll be dumping like a monday morning lecture.

Ruggie, they know about the drop down menu problem. I'll talk to them about the speed issue but honestly, I use Boards for about 3 hours a day and I havent noticed it but I'll bring it to their attention.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I've 3mb broadband and sometimes the pages hang forever !

just my 2 cents.

DeVore wrote:
    reread your initial post "I'm fed up with that ad site slowing down boards, get rid of it!!" ... well let me hop right to it sir. I'll drop everything I'm doing, I mean, if YOU'RE fed up well... we can't be having that now can we.
    You snap your fingers verbally at us again and I know exactly what I'll be dumping like a monday morning lecture.

Ruggie, they know about the drop down menu problem. I'll talk to them about the speed issue but honestly, I use Boards for about 3 hours a day and I havent noticed it but I'll bring it to their attention.

DeV.

That's cool....maybe it's on our end but i'm trying to get into members.boards.ie at the moment and it's hanging. Altho i'm not sure that is adserver related.

It's very intermittent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Yeah it is annoying, but as DeVore says, it is the golden goose! It occasionally slows me down, but so far things have good all day today. I won't even mention Firefox and Adblock. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DeVore wrote:
    I use Boards for about 3 hours a day and I havent noticed it but I'll bring it to their attention.
    It doesn't affect every case. Firefox (the newer versions) coasts through it, but I have in the past had Firefox and IE literally sit loading for 30 seconds saying "Waiting for www.star-adserver.com".

Assuming they're making some money off of you too, then they have a duty to make sure their machines are up to the load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I also noticed this but never knew it had anything to do with some add. For some reason when i surf boards using Firefox pages seem to hang for a good 20-30 seconds before they start to load. Using IE makes it a little wuicker but there is still a little hanging

seamus wrote:
    It doesn't affect every case. Firefox (the newer versions) coasts through it, but I have in the past had Firefox and IE literally sit loading for 30 seconds saying "Waiting for www.star-adserver.com".

Assuming they're making some money off of you too, then they have a duty to make sure their machines are up to the load.

:confused: I think i have the newest version of FF 1.5??? and it still hangs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Hangs for me alot too, sometimes up to 20-30seconds, on a 3mb connection. Really is a pain in the backside....

I have asked the guys over in SalesOnline to comment on this. I'll see what they say.

DeV.

If you are using Firefox right click the add and block it, doesn't really help but at least you won't have to look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Maybe it could be left out for subscribers?
    if($subscription_not_paid)
    {
    echo "Hi all, I'm an ad! You won't see me if you subscribe.";
    }

That might actually raise revenue. If it got two or three additional subscribers a year it'd probably be profitable? They couldn't be paying more than ~€1 a year for subscribers, and there are about 150 subscribers?

Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Sometimes it hangs for me for 20-30 seconds on a 3mb line using Firefox.

I can't say I'm hugely bothered as it doesn't happen every time I click a link and I would usually have more than one browser open at a time so I can wander off and do something else if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

DeVore wrote:

Jesus, lighten up will ya. It wasn't meant as a serious suggestion. I was expressing my frustration at waiting 30+ seconds everytime I load boards.ie. Anyway judging by the responses it looks like I'm not the only one feeling that way.
    DeVore wrote:

What is that? Some kind of threat? Well I'm shaking in my boots.

If you are going to have a feedback forum I suggest you learn to not take the feedback so personally Mr DeVore.

What is that? Some kind of threat? Well I'm shaking in my boots.
    oh dear...lol
    If you are going to have a feedback forum I suggest you learn to not take the feedback so personally Mr DeVore.

and if you are going to give feedback i suggest you be more ****ing civil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I was expressing my frustration at waiting 30+ seconds everytime I load boards.ie.

Perhaps you should express it in a manner which doesn't make you sound like a petulant 10 year old then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

BuffyBot wrote:
    Perhaps you should express it in a manner which doesn't make you sound like a petulant 10 year old then.

maybe he is though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't dis DeVore he can hunt you down and kill you without leaving his chair!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

mike65 wrote:
    Don't dis DeVore he can hunt you down and kill you without leaving his chair!

Mike.

Godammit I have the perfect gathering card for this somewhere and cant find it. Made 3 of em!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say blocking the ads work a treat.

Ad people alerted and they are reviewing their server loads. If there is no improvement please let us know middle of next week. I havent experienced the problem so I wont know but I will chase it up with them on Monday.

This thread is otherwise utterly derailed and has 0 chance of producing any further good.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement