Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of top soil

Options
  • 22-02-2006 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,
    I'm new to the forum and just thought that I'd find out if anybody knew of an inexpensive way to get rid of top soil.
    I'm building a garage in the back garden, but as the height of the garden rises (quite significantly) from the house to the back wall, there will be a 'lot' of soil to dispose of. Obviously I could hire a skip or several - this could cost a fair whack though. Is there a company that would collect and dispose of soil only? The fact that it would not need to go to land fill should lessen the cost I'd imagine. I usually bring any timber and other recyclable material to the recycling centres so I would not be putting other material in along with the soil.
    Maybe a several skips are the only way to go but what harm is there is asking about an alternative.

C-Murph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

If its any way good stuff you could give it away
    You could advertise it in Buy and sell to take away free.
    People are always looking good top soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

where are you based / where is the top soil?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jaysus, if u are down in Mayo I need a world full of the stuff!! Guys looking for 200 notes a load down here!! fkn joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 C-Murph

I'm living in Dublin 5. The buy and sell is a good idea. Will look into that.
    Thing is, I've not done any digging yet. Just want to see what options I had re: getting rid if it.
    If you fancy the trek from Mayo, it's yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

bit far for me to travel to aswell.
    I would have taken it away for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

keep an eye out in your local area for lads doing any work.

they usually have all the contacts for doing this stuff.

here in Meath - farmers usually take it and re-sell it on or use it themselves.

good luck.

if putting it in buy & sell -- make sure you're not giving away a bag at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Hi - On a slightly different matter I am presently in the process of building an external garage also in the garden- approx. dimensions 14ft*22ft. Am just about to get a price on site work + blockwork to garage floor(probably about 3 blocks high) + initial grading/subbase and the concrete surface. Does anybody out there have any ballpark pricing for this initial work - You can incl. materials if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

My builder charged me €3K for ground prep and slab for about that size last year, nice little profit in it for him too, hard core fill / concrete would only have set him back about a grand I'd say.

Needless to say, I havent got around to doing the blockwork yet, but if you
    can get a blocklayer handy, you should be able to get to roof level for about another €2500 incl. materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I've just started my extension and unfortunately had to go down 7' 6" to foundation level of our house - needless to say there was a large amount of clay/fill dug out (85 tonnes to be exact). I used a man with truck and grab (licenced and registered) to take it away and dispose of it correctly - all materials excavated have to be disposed of into land fill sites or else you may be obliged to prove to the council where it has gone if you ever apply for certificate of compliance for your build. PM me if you want his name/number.

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

wow 7" 6? how big was the extension?

I am about to start an extenstion in my back garden but will only be using it as a gym/pool room and will probably stay within regulations so I dont need planning permmission. did you guys hire a mini digger or did you do it the back breaking way?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Hi,

extension will be just under the 40m2 exeption limit - we had to go down so deep because the foundations have to link up with the existing foundations of the house - when our house was built the land was graded up to allow for sewerage (SP?) gravity flow etc. I hired a man to dig it out who has his own plant hire business. He had a 3 tonne digger and 3 tonne dumper initially but we had to get a 5 tonne digger for the longer reach for day 2. We then dig the foundatioins ourselves and my block layer is due on friday to build it back up to floor level.

I can give names and prices if you want to pm me.

Cheers.

Advertisement