Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Younger filmmakers

• 22-02-2006 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

I dont know if there is any other younger boards members that come on to the film production forum, but Im one. Little do most of you know im only 15. Im very interested in film production, but am i the only teenager on here who is. Anywhooo these are two festivals for young people that folks ,like me, might find useful:

Firstly, The Fresh Film Festival. You are probs too late to enter a film now (deadline is the 24th Feb.) but if you want to see some films made by teenagers in Ireland you might think about going. I personally havnt gone to this before but i hear its good. Festival Based in Limerick.

Secondly, Cinemagic. This is a youth film festival based in Belfast NI. I went this year and thought it was great. The run a young filmmaker competition every year and then the main festival is on in november/december. They also run talks and workshops with industry pros which I myself found really interesting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Shoot-a

Hi just registered but im 15 and big into films and directing fx and all aspects really.attempting to write a script at mo.done 3 weird cheap crazy films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Finally somebody as young as me on here :D ! welcome aboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

16 and am in the same boat as you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Me too(16)

Anyone planning on doing it in college? I was thinking of Film Production in Dun Laoghaire, you have to have a portfolio and all, is there a FETAC/PLC course that helps with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

You can do film production in St.Johns College in Cork, its a great course. Its also a FETAC one. Its one year course that ca n continue to film-making and then a third year. However, St.Johns new campus and facilities is of a great spec now, apparrently hosting Munsters largest Green Screen. The new studio is fantastic, and chances are, if you do first year there, you might change your mind about Dun Laoghaire

• Advertisement

Great to have some more young members! I'd love to do it in college. The one in st johns sounds cool trendkill , did you do that one yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

I did it alright. But the problem is, there's alot of group work involved. As what goes along with film-making, there's a lot of people that like to work, but theres always that group that would rather listen to their own voices and watch people slave over projects and then take credit for it all. Its a dog eat dog place. Its a lot of pressure when other people try to write checks that thier talent can't pay for.

It would be advisable to see St.Johns college and speak with the technician. He's the most friendliest guy in the world and really cool too, so he wouldn't hesitate in showing you around, maybe meet a few lecturers. First years do Photography also, and working in the darkrooms and learning to develop own pitures is one of the best feelings in the world, however, There is also subjects like Destop Publishing ( whuch is a cool and simple class if you know a photoshop program) and Text Production( Yawn).

Dun Laoghaire is definite for me because I live a three minute walk from the college and it is 15 seconds from where I work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Lump wrote:
    I was goin 2 do that this summer gone by but i forgot to send the form off and only remembered it after the deadline :o . Think ill do it this year but I think YIFM changed from making a feature (which sounded cool) to making a short. Am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

15, Wexford. Started a film course on Saturdays a lil over a year ago, editing my own first individual one now, a documentary type thing, and writing a drama. I did all teh stuff YIFM was offering over a year, for free, loved it! Was going to do it in college, but decided I want to stick with my orignal English and Drama...

Hi everyone!WOW!Lots more people!So tis bn ages since i posted mainly through lack of time and still a bloody dial-up connection!Well i'm Ciaran and i live in dublin just to let yeese know.Does anyone know of any courses on?festivals? Good horror gala showing thing at IFI soon.not sure how many of yous liv in dub!
    Im doing a filmaking courses as part of transition year bt its just basic stuff i think!Im working on a big visual effects/film thing at mo for a big play in my school next yr so if people wana help out?Maybe!
    If anyone is filming in dub and they nd an extra camcorder give me a post!or email : ciaranschutte@hotmail.com

btw wats every1s fav editing software --- ihope no 1 is using macs!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

Riotguy wrote:
    Me too(16)

Anyone planning on doing it in college? I was thinking of Film Production in Dun Laoghaire, you have to have a portfolio and all, is there a FETAC/PLC course that helps with that?
    im in http://www.bife.ie and we do a city and guilds diploma (1 year) and a BTEC Higher Nation Diploma (2 further years). Our last years graduates won best short documentary in the Galway Film Fleadh and the outlook award Cork Festival (http://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/home.htm and http://www.corkfilmfest.org/) with a class project. so go us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

coolcon wrote:
    I was goin 2 do that this summer gone by but i forgot to send the form off and only remembered it after the deadline :o . Think ill do it this year but I think YIFM changed from making a feature (which sounded cool) to making a short. Am I right?

I don't know, I work in London now, in Media. That's where I got started.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 EoinDM

Riotguy wrote:
    Me too(16)

I'm 16 and I'm thinking of maybe doing the same course! Do you know anything about it? What year are you in?

im in http://www.bife.ie and we do a city and guilds diploma (1 year)

...that's about 5mins down the road from me! :D :eek:

Whats teh basic location of everyone or are we spread out? Suggestion of a JR. Boards beers..eh boards lemonades...ya get my drift..

...I don't understand anything you just asked at all. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

she's (i hope going by the name) asking where you all live to see if its possible to have a meet up for underage drinking...

Oh ok.

Well, I'm from Bray, in Co.Wicklow! :cool:

• Advertisement

No, not neccesarily underage drinking...

Yeah defo count me in.

So, where is everyone from then?

Blackrock Co.Dublin

But this is for filming purposes not for princess' enquiry

Have you or anyone else here made any shorts of videos or anything?

I live in Dublin Cabra/Ashtown. Depends how you wana see it!
    Ive made some very crazy bad spur of the moment film. Just planning a short doc at the mo for a religion project.Trying to sort out some interviews. Does anyone know any decent websites for footage of ANYTHING to do with persicution/discrimination?

Well, do you have your stuff hosted online so I can take a look?

nah sori still on 36k dial up! i cud maybe burn some stuff to a cd if u want?
    have u made anything yourself?

Yeah I have. Some little cartoons, stop animation, music videos and random things. I haven't filmed a short yet tho, that's my next project. And a documentry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RaptorHouse

hi, im 16 , ive been making films for the last 6 years with my friends. Ive gained a lot of experience in all aspects of film making especially directing and editing , . Our longest movie Regeneration was 1 hour and 12 mins which was made last year. Currently were planning to shoot a christmas film and some projects for early next year which were postponed.

Advertisement