Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worried Passing Checkpoint??

Options
  • 22-02-2006 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi guys,

A litttle concerned, this morning i was driving to work when i came upon a garda stopping cars for tax/insurance. The stretch of road is a motoraw slip road to the n7 in naas, but it's a two way road due to an access road i use at one end beside the motorway. Anyway he had his back to me and as i slowed down appproaching him he did not acknowledge my presence in any way and continued to watch the cars coming opposite. So i moved off again. I'm just wondering could he have taken my reg for failing to stop at a checkpoint? Worries me as i have a clean driving record and don't fancy a summons for this sort of thing. Should i mention it at garda station or just wait and see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Kermitt wrote:
    Hi guys,

A litttle concerned, this morning i was driving to work when i came upon a garda stopping cars for tax/insurance. The stretch of road is a motoraw slip road to the n7 in naas, but it's a two way road due to an access road i use at one end beside the motorway. Anyway he had his back to me and as i slowed down appproaching him he did not acknowledge my presence in any way and continued to watch the cars coming opposite. So i moved off again. I'm just wondering could he have taken my reg for failing to stop at a checkpoint? Worries me as i have a clean driving record and don't fancy a summons for this sort of thing. Should i mention it at garda station or just wait and see?

Unless someone motioned you to stop I can't see any law you could have broken...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds ok to me too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

yeah i'd say your cool also, same thing has happened to me once or twice never heard anything either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This happens all the time, some people come to a stop when a garda is busy with a vehicle in the other lane and they wait and wait and wait and....GET GOING MAN! :D If not motioned to stop carry on and smile!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Did that once because I wasn't asked to stop. The ban garda let a roar out of her. "When you see a Garda you stop" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Sounds ok to me too.

Agreed

is_that_so there is always one (was she new and shiny?)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You are not required to stop unless indicated to do so by a Garda. Unless there's a big sign up saying "STOP. Garda Checkpoint", there's nothing they could do you for by not stopping in the above case.

I think we've just driven on at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mike65 wrote:
    is_that_so there is always one (was she new and shiny?)

Mike.
    She was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

They can be fairly intimidating alright.

Especially when they are outside a prison :E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Nah unless you're a good psychic, don't stop on any stretch of road unless signalled to do so, clearly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yer grand, sometimes Guards are only pulling traffic coming one way. If he's not facing you, and doesnt look at you, yer grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Happened to me as the OP described and I drove on. 2 mins later there is the septre of a Garda car in full flight chasing me down. Got told off for not stopping.

Jesus it must have been a quiet day for that cop.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Cheers lads, spoke to a garda bout it and he ran a checkon my car, The guy took my reg but did nothin about it yet so the gard i was talking to cancelled the check! Feel better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

you only have to stop once indicated by a garda.and if you donot stop you get 2 points. and a fine of 80 yoyos.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7262-0.pdf

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

is_that_so wrote:
    Did that once because I wasn't asked to stop. The ban garda let a roar out of her. "When you see a Garda you stop" :rolleyes:
    Maybe thats the one who (in civvies) spoke to me at the Esso petrol station on the N4 inside the M50. According to her, I had passed her car in the left lane (she was in the center lane) of the N4/M50 roundabout doing over 80mph.
    She wasn't able to account for the fact that the double decker bus in front of me was doing the same speed for the previous hundred metres or so! :rolleyes:

Advertisement