Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What I like about the enemy

• 22-02-2006 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

In the spirit of a little comradery, I propose this following thread - its purpose is to highlight the things you like and admire about your (bitter) rivals. Tell us the team you support, their rivals and what qualities you admire in them. Being crap isn't a quality to admire. ;)

I support Liverpool - old school enemy = ManU, new enemy = chelsea.

ManU have played some of the most exciting football of the past 15 years. They have a rich history of superb players, including George Best, Eric Cantona and Roy Keane. They don't constantly piss about changing managers.

Chelsea defend excellently.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Liverpool supporter.

Man Utd - As you have said they have played some great football, the best thing about them was the wing play they used during the 90s, it was a joy to watch. Not forgetting the comebacks they pulled out of their ass.

Chelsea - Theyre solid as a rock and can change games with so much quality on the bench.

Arsenal - Ive only really seen them defend for a whole match once or twice, excellent football, excellent passing, excellent skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shels fan.

Bohemians - Very convenient to get to. Kevin Hunt is God-like.
    Rovers - hmmmm... thats a toughy.
    St. Pats - Easy points.

I really can't think of anything constructive to say. We're great rivals and its always good craic, with great chants etc... They've all played well against us and their fans can be passionate, but thats about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

United fan,

Chelsea - John Terry is the best centre back in the world right now.

Liverpool - Riise is great, Gerrard can be and that final was probably the best one ever played.

Arsenal - They beat Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

I'm a Blackburn fan.

Enemy = Burnly

What i like about them is that they are only 12 miles from Blackburn.....

Nothing else..... Ohh 1 more thing , they had Ian Wright playing for them for a while =).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone Town F.C. Fan.

Galway - Nice set of supporters, always a great match to watch, loads of slagging between fans, just good craic!

Sligo - Fans are generally good craic, lots of shouting back and forth but only ever friendly, usually play good football.

Longford - Not much here honestly... andy Myler maybe?

A.C. Milan Fan.
    Inter Milan - They play very attacking football and have a great mixture of raw young talent and great older pros, Moratti is funny!

Juventus - the are the most balanced squad in the world, best denefce and midefeild IMHO, amazing players like Alex and Ibra and almost always play good football, very friendly rivalery.

Swansea City Fan.
    Cardiff City - They are playing great at the moment playing attacking football, it's between themselves and Wolves for the best team to watch in Endland at the moment!

Wrexham - easy win and they gave us Trundle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Liverpool fan

Arsenal: Henry. The amazing football when they are[were] on form. Best team in England at the time.

Utd: ehh...tbqh I dunno..I don't 'hate'* them as much as the fans tbh. The reports of unrest make me laugh so thats a good thing I guess...I'll come back to this later

Chelsea: My dad's a supporter. Pox. Czech, great keeper. and Duff plays :)
    *note: hate is such a strong word

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Leeds Fan

Man Utd - referred to by all Leeds fans as "the scum" and also they have Judas Smith playing for them adding to the hatred. Never liked them purey because of their glory hunting fans who just jumped on the band wagon. As those fans have jumped onto different band wagons i dont hate them as much now. I admire their domination of the league in the late 90's early 00's but thats about it.

Sheffield Wednesday - Yorkshire rivals. Really struggled of late but I have never not liked them. In fact I would love to see Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday playing each other in the Premiership where they both belong.

Sheffield Utd - Hate Neil Warnock with a passion. Both clubs always go for the same players and their always some kind of row going on between the clubs usually started by Warnock. I have nothing good to say about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Fun thread.

Man Utd Fan

Liverpool - Proved everyone wrong in Europe last season and showed a lot of character. Very hard team to get the better of, especially at Anfield and the Kop End - the 12th man.

Chelsea - This is tough. They've raised the bar the last couple of years. If it wasn't for Roman you could argue that Man Utd and Liverpool would be taking part in one of the most exciting league run ins in years. However, they've built a very solid team and one that is very hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool fan

I wont repeat the plaudits for Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea
    instead I'll say were'nt Newcastle just great fun to watch under Keegan? :) Swashbuckling footie with a mad puppy-dog approach to defence!

I also take my hat off to Spurs for apparently finding both a good tactician and man manager (they usualy get one or the other).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

mike65 wrote:
    Liverpool fan

I wont repeat the plaudits for Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea
    instead I'll say were'nt Newcastle just great fun to watch under Keegan? :) Swashbuckling footie with a mad puppy-dog approach to defence!

I also take my hat off to Spurs for apparently finding both a good tactician and man manager (they usualy get one or the other).

Mike.

But they aren't your main rivals. Bit of a kop out methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

United fan

Biggest Rivals, Stockport, Burnley, City.. only messing

Liverpool - Admire there balls last year and persistence to win the CL, Kop, nothing near it in 99% of clubs, 12th man

Arsenal - There unbeaten run, fabulous achievement, when Bergkamp, Henry, Viera, Adams were together and flying it was fabulous to watch.

Chelsea - There great defending and Championship manger squad and buying ability, not sure if I admire it though as 90% of their team has been bought from pure financial muscle which got them their title last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Liverpool.

Manchester United: A wonderful strikeforce - one that any premiership team (excluding Chelsea perhaps?) would kill for.

Chelsea: Superb squad, great manager.

Arsenal: Generally enjoyable to watch - hope to see them back to their old league form soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Man Utd fan

Liverpool- best midfield in England in Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko.

Chelsea-(really hate what Abromovic has done has it defelcts from a lot of talent they have). Terry is the best centre-half around. Doesn't mess around just defends.

P.s if Drogba stopped talking silly talk about been the best player in Africa I might just like them a little bit but he really annoys the cr!p out of me.

NoelRock wrote:
    Manchester United: A wonderful strikeforce - one that any premiership team (excluding Chelsea perhaps?) would kill for.

Chelsea would kill for uniteds strikeforce.. Top scorer in league and one of the greatest talents of the last 10 years in Rooney, not to mention Saha, the legend that is Ole Solskjaer and the next big thing Rossi(who has about 4 hat tricks in reserve league already. He has 25 goals or more.)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

liverpool

Everton: the respect they showed after our distasters

ManU. the way they played football in mid 90's. with proper wingers

Chelsea would kill for uniteds strikeforce.. Top scorer in league and one of the greatest talents of the last 10 years in Rooney, not to mention Saha, the legend that is Ole Solskjaer and the next big thing Rossi(who has about 4 hat tricks in reserve league already. He has 25 goals or more.)

I'd say they might like them but...as of the moment...they have a capable enough strikeforce, hence they wouldn't kill for them. I was really just referring to Rooney and van Nistelrooy... Solskjaer is a great, great guy and a truly loyal player (a rare thing!) but Chelsea, nor most clubs, would want him at this stage. Much like Robbie Fowler, if I put my objective glasses on :).

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Man U fan,

Liverpool- At the moment i admire their work ethic and all round solid no bull sh** approach to the game. i also have to admire a manager whose won more than mourinho but seems like a down to earth normal bloke.

Chelsea- Damo Duff, thats about it.

City- Stuart Pearce, You gotta love the Psycho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

fade2black wrote:
    But they aren't your main rivals. Bit of a kop out methinks.

Spurs are 4th right now and Newcastle were definitly rivals in the not too distant past.

Mike.

By the way, great idea for a thread :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Juventus fan,

AC Milan - Play very good football, Gattusos determination, kakas skill and shevchenkos finishing are always a joy to watch

Inter Milan - Play good attacking football and have some of the best talent in the world

Roma - they produce good homegrown players

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

ManU Fan.

Liverpool: Last year's final. The anfield fans can be hilarious at times.

Chelsea: Give's everyone someone to hate over manU

Arsenal: Played the best football in england so far this century.

NoelRock wrote:
    I'd say they might like them but...as of the moment...they have a capable enough strikeforce, hence they wouldn't kill for them. I was really just referring to Rooney and van Nistelrooy... Solskjaer is a great, great guy and a truly loyal player (a rare thing!) but Chelsea, nor most clubs, would want him at this stage. Much like Robbie Fowler, if I put my objective glasses on :).

Ok fair enough I respect your opinion, I just belive Rooney and RVN are better than Chelsea's strikeforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good idea, please try keep it open no need to quote and create points about your team.

Support Pats

Dislike in no particular order.

Rovers: The good fans, make football worth watching live.

Shels: Well run,play nice ball always make you earn your wins.

Bohs: Northsides version of us.

Zimbru Chisnau: 10 or so reasons.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs fan.

Only one enemy, the Goons.

Like the fact that they've had to balance the books more than most but still got superb performances out of their players under Wenger. Unearthed some real gems over time. On form they play the best football in the UK. Last night against Franco FC was a prime example of their style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Celtic fan

One enemy - Rangers

Like McLeish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

liverpool

united- top notch strike force and their complete dominance during the 90s and their market-savvy-ness to milk every penny
    chelsea- so hard to beat, great consistency for grinding out the wins, mourinho is sometimes funny (though often annoying)
    arsenal- great open attacking football of recent years. henry, excellent player. for being the only team to rival united realistically, until recently
    everton- always managing to never get relegated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Man United fan;
    Man City: Not actually living in Manchester, this probably isn't as big as the others for me personally, however, City have an excellent recent record against United which makes me not want to watch Manchester derbies! Plus side, Stuart Pearce is a great character.
    Arsenal: I always carried a bit of a chip for certain players. They're antics after the final whistle at Old Trafford two years ago will always remain in my mind. What I like about them is that they never fail to excite. They do play extremely nice football, and have a good culture of bringing youngsters through rather than doling out millions.
    Liverpool: The enemy as far as a United supporter is concerned, always has been and probably always will be. Hell, I can't think of too many rational reasons why I actually dislike them :) What I like, is Benitez. He was always very dignified last season, even when they were doing poor on the domestic front. Also showed great character in the CL when nobody was giving them a hope.
    Chelsea: Not so much an *enemy* but certainly they are in a positional sense. I don't like how they performed off the pitch last season, with so much controversy always surrounding them. Mourinho always seemed to be putting his foot in his mouth, add on other incidents like the Ashley Cole tapping-up affair or swiping Frank Arneson from Spurs. Oh, and I hate Peter Kenyon. :) What I like, well, they made defending an art form but still can turn on the style and bang in 4 or 5 goals on any given day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Shamrock "gods team" Rovers

Rivals:

Shelbourne: our traditional rivals, dating back to the days of ringsend, they were always the more "afluent" supporters club. I admire the respect they earned for our league with a valient effort against deportivo a few years back. I like the profesional set up they have there.

St Pats: The pretenders of Dublin football, in the sense that they were only making their persence felt in the fifties, i always felt that they had or atleast played like they had someting to proove when playing us which i really admired and respected. Apart from the odd moron in their support the fans are great, with a great buzz generated by them.

Bohemians: It really rubs me the wrong way to give them anything, but even though it was for monetry reasons i'm glad they provided us with a stadium last year

Dundalk: Just because they are the 2nd most sucessful club in Ireland, I know little about them really, but i'm glad they'll make next season interesting and for giving peter hynes a chance

U.C.D./Dub City: Sorry i don't consider y'all rivals, you just haven't earned it yet baby

i think thats a fair and as nonbiased post you'll get from a hoop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Man Utd fan:
    There are four rival clubs for me,

Arsenal: I love how they play football, its probably the only other team in the premiership whose style I like as much as Uniteds. Also I have a huge respect for any team that builds from the youth.

Liverpool: I love 'This is Anfield' in Anfield, I think Benetiz is a top bloke, and I love a song that everyone sings before matches as a thing, not 'You'lll never walk alone', but just the idea.

Leeds: Very little tbh, I could say the players they produce, but I do like their audaciousness, even if it has meant them being in the championship, they still want to win the CL

Man City: I like Pearse, always have. Also I respect that they hate us so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

manchester united fan

rivals:manchester city
    i have to hand it to city,they know how to turn us over,i cant remember the last time we beat them:(

rivals:liverpool
    has to be that thing they won last year:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Spurs fan:

I like Henry, brilliant player and can turn a game in the smallest moment of genius.
    Fabregas looks like he could be a future favourite of mine, even at the mo i love watching him play!
    Sol Cam.....nah, who am i kidding!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Liverpool.

Manu: Their football style in the 90's. Fergie's total self belief. The passion of the fans. Wayne Rooney, one of the best players in the world.

The Arse: Wengers 99% professionalism. Viera, Henry and Bergkamp. Their "total football" style.

Everton: David Moyes. The Level of respect they showed after Hillsborough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Chelsea Fan.

Man U: Played great entertaining footie in the 90's and no matter now many goals you went ahead by they always seemed to claw it back.

Arse: At times play beautiful football, all be it not this season.

Liverpool: Starting to play like chelsea and worrying me a little. Rafa possibly the most gentlemanly manager in the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Man Utd

Liverpool: Great team attitude.Gerard is a legend. Showed a lot of balls/heart to beat Milan in the CL final last year. In the circumstances it was the best comeback i've ever seen
    Chelsea: Consistency. Lampard & Terry are 2 of the best in the business. Duffer is one of my favourite players and Mourinho is a b*ll*cks but you'd have to admire his charisma and and ability as a coach.
    Arsenal: In recent years they along with Barca have been the most attractive club teams to watch.
    Man City: They always enter the derby match with more drive than United and as United have weakened in the last couple of seasins this has shown. Also i had a trial for them when i was younger.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Bohs
    ====

Shels : Raised the bar and profile of the game here with european exploits

Pats : Their fans aren't as 'up' themselves when they're winning. Don't have as many bandwagoners either from what i can tell.

Rovers : Great athmosphere at derby games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Great thread.

Liverpool supporter.

Arsenal - Admire them for their manager, Henry, the extremely talented youngsters breaking into the first team and for their footballing philosophy. They were te best team in Europe for me two seasons ago. I like their ambition, I hope the stadium thing works out and doesn't cripple the club.

Man Utd - The treble was a fantastic achievement, one that will not be repeated for some time. They had a super team back then. I hate them less now that Abromovich and Mourinho have arrived on the scene.

Chelsea - Duff.

Advertisement