Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Free texts?

• 22-02-2006 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Have any O2 speakeasy customers received a text from 50202 with the following message:

"As a valued O2 customer, we're offering you 50 free texts every month for 6 months. Simply reply BONUS to this text by 26thFebruary 2006. From O2" Received 12:43 20-02-2006

Kosher or spam anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

bruachain wrote:
    Have any O2 speakeasy customers received a text from 50202
    The 50202 short code is registered by O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I got a text from 50202 saying "as a reward for your loyalty 02 want to gfive you 50 Euro off a speak Easy upgrade. Please go to an 02 retail store by march 18th to avail of this offer"

Is this for pay as you go phones? Is it crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I got a text from 50202 saying "as a reward for your loyalty 02 want to gfive you 50 Euro off a speak Easy upgrade. Please go to an 02 retail store by march 18th to avail of this offer"

Is this for pay as you go phones? Is it crap?

It tells you in the text ! €50 off speakeasy phones , and no its not crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Rang O2 customer care to check it out. It's kosher alright. I texted Bonus and immediately received a text from the same number stating -

Your first 50 free texts will be added to your account by 5th March and on the same date for the remaining months. From o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is everyone getting this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

I'm on speakeasy and I didn't get it. maybe it's bill pay only???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No Im speakeasy, They said it could be that the customer hasnt been included in a special offer of late, or that as a longer speakeasy customer I got it, they really didnt say how their offers are based.

Sweet enough tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 PooperScooper

Recieved this message last week and signed up.

My friend has an o2 phone with a year and got this message months ago.

I've been an o2 customer with same number for six years and only got it last week.

not as much of a valued customer as i thought.

Another friend of mine changed from o2 to meteor. Within 2months o2 offered a free phone if they would return.

think i'll try this trick next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

You get so many 'free texts' per month but were you charged for their text to you telling you that you now had 'free texts'? It sounds like that by texting 50202 you were signing up for a 'free' service but the texts you receive from the 'free' service on a weekly or monthly basis may not be free. My sister just received a message from O2 after she topped up her credit. It was from 50202 or 353863830446 telling her that because of her valued custom she could sign up to a service to update her Facebook on the go. She was told to text FB to 50013. She almost did but I told her to read on and it turned out she would be charged one euro per day for up to 50 days. She was listening to Liveline last week where Comregs inaction on this issue was being discussed and thought she needed to reply or she would be charged. She is not very technically minded and all she remembered from the show was if she did not reply she would continue to be charged. Comreg should insist that such messages where people can unwittingly sign up to have their funds taken without their knowledge should be worded more transparently and not require careful reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jocmilt wrote: »
    You get so many 'free texts' per month but were you charged for their text to you telling you that you now had 'free texts'? It sounds like that by texting 50202 you were signing up for a 'free' service but the texts you receive from the 'free' service on a weekly or monthly basis may not be free. My sister just received a message from O2 after she topped up her credit. It was from 50202 or 353863830446 telling her that because of her valued custom she could sign up to a service to update her Facebook on the go. She was told to text FB to 50013. She almost did but I told her to read on and it turned out she would be charged one euro per day for up to 50 days. She was listening to Liveline last week where Comregs inaction on this issue was being discussed and thought she needed to reply or she would be charged. She is not very technically minded and all she remembered from the show was if she did not reply she would continue to be charged. Comreg should insist that such messages where people can unwittingly sign up to have their funds taken without their knowledge should be worded more transparently and not require careful reading.

No need to drag up a three year old thread.

I think the information in this thread is out of date.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement