Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Great news for MG Owners

Options
  • 22-02-2006 7:00pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Well today is a great first step in the restarting of MG sports cars. In a newly brokered deal the new owners have taken a 33 year lease on a portion of the longbridge car plant and the first of the new cars will be an updated MGTF and this is due to roll of the line in spring 2007

Happy days people would be terrible to loose MG a manufacturer with such history

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

WooHoo... Does that mean that Rover prices might strengthen again?

You can get a ZR/F/TF for peanuts over in the UK ATM.

I'd love a ZS180 if I could afford the insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

A case of deja vú. "Updated" says it all - there's nothing new out of Longbridge!
    When MG started dying they should have put a 'Do Not Resuscitate' notice on them.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

el tel i dont know how you have such inside information on what car specs are being released

TCP/IP wrote:
    the first of the new cars will be an updated MGTF and this is due to roll of the line in spring 2007

^^^I was going by nothing more than what you said yourself^^^

but updating cars is one of the most common practice in the car industry how many updates have there been to the golf to take an example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JohnCleary wrote:
    WooHoo... Does that mean that Rover prices might strengthen again?

Not a chance. The Chinese are only going to produce MG-TF aren't they? They do not own the Rover brand
    TCP/IP wrote:
    but updating cars is one of the most common practice in the car industry

The Chinese are more into cloning old things. Call it downdating if you wish

Chinese are going to be doing the TF, ZS and ZT in the beginning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lighthouse_Cat

el tel wrote:
    A case of deja vú. "Updated" says it all - there's nothing new out of Longbridge!

Yeah, the 25 was, even after 2 facelifts and an MG version, still an old rover 200 (from 94, I think, not sure) underneath when they went belly-up.

If they're going to bring back MG they should just go with the current trend and reinvent the MGB.

TCP/IP wrote:
    Chinese are going to be doing the TF, ZS and ZT in the beginning

Acording to this, they'll only produce the TF in the beginning

Also the lease is not long term yet, there seems to be a clause that they can pull out after 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah, the 25 was, even after 2 facelifts and an MG version, still an old rover 200 (from 94, I think, not sure) underneath when they went belly-up.

If they're going to bring back MG they should just go with the current trend and reinvent the MGB.

Yes I agree, those Rovers/MGs had more facelifts than Cher, still based on a 11 year design.

They need to inject some fresh technology and design into the brands if they want to survive this time round.

MG Rover did the facelift thing a couple of times and it failed. Also the Longbridge plant needs to have it's production facilities brought into the 21st century.

Either of the above is no easy task. I think if the Chinese company picks up production where MG Rover left off then it is doomed to failure again imo.

Hopefully it will be managed a bit better too than MG Rover, this also was a major factor in the company's downfall.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    They need to inject some fresh technology and design into the brands if they want to survive this time round

MG/Rover would translate this as:
    A bit of fake wood on the dash, a chrome strip on the inside of the sill and an enamel Union Jack on the back and we're back in business:D

el tel wrote:
    MG/Rover would translate this as:
    A bit of fake wood on the dash, a chrome strip on the inside of the sill and an enamel Union Jack on the back and we're back in business:D

Plus some even fancier colours and some even bigger spoilers and exhausts. And another few BHP to impress the punters :D

Advertisement