Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert a garage €5,750

Options
  • 22-02-2006 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

I got a flyer in the door last nite offering a garage conversion for €5,750

I was planning to do it myself but at that price it doesn't seem worth while.

It is a standard one car garage on side of a semi d.
    The offer includes:
    Bringing up floor to house level.
    Matching window and brick to front
    3 electricity points
    Lighting
    Doors
    Insulatioon and plaster board to ceiling
    Skiming walls and ceilings
    Double radiator
    Sundry carpentry

I was impressed. I know that he is probably making €2k but I don't think he is overdoing it. Or am I wrong.

No knowledge of this guy other than this leaflet tho

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

narommy wrote:
    I got a flyer in the door last nite offering a garage conversion for €5,750

I was planning to do it myself but at that price it doesn't seem worth while.

It is a standard one car garage on side of a semi d.
    The offer includes:
    Bringing up floor to house level.
    Matching window and brick to front
    3 electricity points
    Lighting
    Doors
    Insulatioon and plaster board to ceiling
    Skiming walls and ceilings
    Double radiator
    Sundry carpentry

I was impressed. I know that he is probably making €2k but I don't think he is overdoing it. Or am I wrong.

No knowledge of this guy other than this leaflet tho
    seems ok...can you forward on their details...guy in work is in same boat as you and was thinkin of doin it himself and would probably look at this crowd also at those prices...see if they have any references.

Lots of fliers going in doors lately from eastern europeans flogging their services at cheap rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

How will you know the quality of the work? You'd need to know enough to check everything they are doing wouldn't you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Neverends wrote:
    How will you know the quality of the work? You'd need to know enough to check everything they are doing wouldn't you?

i presume if the OP was thinking of doing it himself then he'd have the ability to check up on their work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Don't forget to get Planning Permission 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I didn't realise you needed to apply for planning permission if converting garage? Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Absolutely, If you are changing the front or side of yuor property you will need Full P.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

You don't need planning to convert a garage for domestic use.
    I have just moved house and had converted my own garage a few years ago. The question came up and I checked it out with planning office of South Dublin CC. I was told that if you are removing a garage door and replacing it with a window then you don't need planning. It is regarded as an exempted development. Ring up you're local CC planing office to confirm this.
    Refer to link below:
    South Dublin County Council and Department of the Environment and Local Heritage entitled PL-5 ‘Doing Work around
    the House – The Planning Issues’

I think the price quoted is very good. I have friends in th etrade who helped supplied me with goods at cost and my conversion was around the same price and that was without and labour costs. If you have a question about the builder ask to see some of his work.

Advertisement