Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Observation

Options
  • 22-02-2006 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Has anyone ever been told that they act differently in work than they do outside the office?

A colleague of mine met myself and my fella socially outside work and said that I was completely different in my mannerisms - talking, acting and the way I held myself - than she normally knew me in the office. She summarised her observation in so far as she said I was "more gay outside work".

This is the first time anything like that had ever been said to me. I thought it interesting. Has anyone ever had the same said to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ixion

yep i've been told the same. in work im apparently completely different to what im like in college say... i always thought that it was a good thing, proves to me that i do have a life outside of work and that its not the be all and end all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dreh

Well nobody ever told me that. But I think i act in differente ways with different people.

When I´m with my gay friends, it´s a way. With my brothers, even them knowing about me, it´s another way and so on.

There are places u can fell more confortable I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well I have to be, semi-professional in work, running around in a tank top calling everyone 'chicken', probably wouldn't go down to well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

azezil wrote:
    Well I have to be, semi-professional in work, running around in a tank top calling everyone 'chicken', probably wouldn't go down to well ;)

...didnt wanna say az but doesnt really go down too well out of the office either :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dynamis

I think it not a case of one consciously deciding to behave differently in work, outside work, etc. Rather, it is more a case of varying social scenarios requiring the implementation of different modes of conduct.

Do I speak the same when conversing with my friends as I do when delivering a presentation? No, one requires greater clarity and enunciatian, all manner of mumblings will be understood in the other.

Would I turn in for work hungover? Certainly! Would I attend an interview for a position with ruby eyes and and a mucous clogged throat (social smoker here)? No!

What is more interesting to observe though, is group behaviour. Watch how individuals change in groups and you will quickly form a picture of how primitive the homo sapien sapien actually is!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement