Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband or not

• 22-02-2006 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭

A friend has no phone line and wants to get Irish Broadband in ( even though i have told him they are suppose to be a very bad service). Here is the package he wants

Breeze is a wireless Internet product which provides superior "always on, high speed" Internet access that does not utilise the phone line, and provides fast uploads as well as downloads and is quick to install, reaching speeds of up to 1Mb, all this for €35.99 a month.
    ( ripwave not available in the area)

Eircom have given him a price of

Line Rental €24.18 ( he does not need a phone in the house)
    Broadband €29.99

Are Irish Broadband really that bad or should he fork out and pay eircom??

I have eircom myself and i know its costly but i never had any major problems and am happy.

Any Suggestions on his options would be great!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

yes, they are WORSE in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I have IBB in Killaloe and have had few problems with the service since last September when it was installed. I'm on Breeze 1M and I'm currently getting 779k Down / 331k Up (irishisptest.com)
    thegills (No complaints here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Anybody using it in Carlow area or is their problems nationwide??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Well im on breeze 2mb 1.89Mbps/9.54Mbps lol... they seem to have really cleaned up there act!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

i am also on the killaloe mast since Jan 06, had the 2mb service. Was getting 60% packet loss, 200ms latency and on average around 500kbps down and 50-80kbps UP...i am waiting for them to come and remove the aerial which should be any day now..

dont do it to yourself, its complete luck if you end up with a decent connection and god help ya if you need any support, they think that packet loss is quite acceptable as long as your within contention..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Stay away from Ripwave (speeds were worse than dialup).

I bowed to Eircom finally and got a 2mb line in(now granted its shared between 3 so individual cost is low). I had Ripwave for two years and it got worse and worse.

Not sure about IBB's better products, but I will never use them again. I prefer to have a solid line in my house now, rather than relying on wireless.

I am happy with Eircom now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the options are not eircom and ibb. tell him to get what he can in this order:

ntl, smart, bt, possibly digiweb but i have no personal experience of them

tell him to take a look at these packages: http://home.btireland.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2Fbroadband

the same service as eircom but cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

granted, BT etc are cheaper..

But 2 months to go through the hassle of getting your line changed? unless of course your friend is not renting accomodation. If it is his own house, then worth the hassle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

not

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Drapper wrote:
    not

I was just thinking the same but never heard of them beforre - is their billing department ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

They are ok when they work, but playing bf2 lately is carp :| lots of packet loss. I did manage to play for an hour last night though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭edunon

I used Ripwave for a while and it's terrible, slower than dial-up. Told my bank to stop paying them, not even then they care, they continued sending me invoices as paid... Moved to Magnet a couple of months ago, very happy with them. Still have the ripwave modem and recieving IBB invoices every month... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

dub45 wrote:
    I was just thinking the same but never heard of them beforre - is their billing department ok?

They are grand. Never had a problem with thier accounts but IIB bb was crap.

Advertisement