Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Questions

Options
  • 22-02-2006 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

i currently have 2 shot guns,a rim fire rifle and a centre fire rifle,all serve their own purpose and do the job 4 me,i want 2 purchase a third say a 308 my first questions are can i and would it b wit great difficulity:confused: next i wil have my euro pass in a few days wat else wil i need 2 shoot vermin say on friends land in northern ireland and eventually go as i please depending on different landowners permission i just cant.helpful replies wil b appreicated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As you've already got four firearms certificates, and two of those are for rifles, you shouldn't have an enormous amount of difficulty getting another.

Provided you can come up with a legitimate reason for the new one.
    A .308 could be used for both deer stalking and target shooting, so permissions/club memberships for either of those activities would be reasonable reasons.
    If they hasn't looked for it already, your Super might want details of your security arrangements.
    The local Crime Prevention Officer might contact you looking to have a look at your safe/alarm set up. If you've gotten away without this sort of thing up to now, it'd probably be a good idea to look into it anyway, as it's likely to become mandatory when the firearms legislation gets amended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

ASFIK NI and the UK dont recognise the Euro firearms pass by itself alone.You need some extra paperwork to use in NI as well. Maybe somone else can advise on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hello Sniper2
    Just wondering you said that you have two rifles already a rimfire and a centerfire. What calibre is the centrefire?
    I have two rifles too ine is a .220Swift and the other is a .308 and to be very honest i do not use the .308 very often i get mush more milage from the swift there is not that much to shoot in this country with a .308. What have you planned to shoot with it targets or Deer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

A euro pass on it's own is not enough..

You need a visitors pass from the P.S.N.I.
    More information can be had here .... http://www.psni.police.uk/index/advice_centre/firearms/pg_firearms_visiting.htm

You can also download the application form from the same web page.

You may also need an article 7 form from your local Garda station.

I suggest you phone PSNI HQ in Belfast and ask to speak to someone in their firearms section, they are very helpful and will put you on the right path.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sniper2

TomBeckett wrote:
    Hello Sniper2
    Just wondering you said that you have two rifles already a rimfire and a centerfire. What calibre is the centrefire?
    I have two rifles too ine is a .220Swift and the other is a .308 and to be very honest i do not use the .308 very often i get mush more milage from the swift there is not that much to shoot in this country with a .308. What have you planned to shoot with it targets or Deer ?
    i have .223 varmit as my second rifle witch i think is class and i used for foxes and targets,my third rilfe i would like to use for deer and targets,i was looking at a tikka .308 stainless heavy barrel(shes a beauty) but i am open to suggestions on wat would be the best bullet to go for these jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hello again..
    Yes i see where you are going.. some say 30.06 or 6.5x55 but personally id stick with the .308 i had exactly the same problem i was going to go for a .270win but i did go for the Remi 700 .308Win-mag in the end:D She packs a fair wallop dough:p
    aldough the muzzle blast from the swift is way worse was out lamping with a mate of mine on monday night and after about five rounds he said he felt sick!! Prob cos he had to carry the five foxs dough ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sniper2

mmmmm,6.5x55 or .308 not sure,priced .308 in a few places 1000 euros best offer,plan to get scope and mounts in the cabalas or bass pro so wil save money der,just unsure:confused: wil do some more research see if i can get a shot out of both,thanks all for your replies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Rovi wrote:
    The local Crime Prevention Officer might contact you looking to have a look at your safe/alarm set up. .

I thought that in the new bill thats coming in, all that is needed is an approoved gun safe??:confused:
    Nothing was mentioned about alarms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Keelan wrote:
    I thought that in the new bill thats coming in, all that is needed is an approoved gun safe??:confused:
    Nothing was mentioned about alarms?
    I was talking about the current situation, where the Super can refuse an application on the basis that your security isn't up to the standards required at The White House, if he so desires.
    Generally, at the moment, the more guns you have (and more particularly, rifles and handguns), the more security provisions are required. Up to and including the same sort of thing gun dealers have.

The amendments seem to indicate that an approved safe will be a basic requirement, but I'd be very surprised if the "sliding scale" of security measures isn't continued in some way.

Advertisement