Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft aptitude test...

Options
  • 22-02-2006 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Have an aptitude test next week with Microsoft for their technical graduate program.

All i know so far, is that "You will complete two tests: one will assess your abilities in relation to Java and C++ programming and the second aims to assess how good you are at coping with the demands of computer programming."

If anyone can tell me anything more re. the particulars of the tests
    i.e. are they written, or typed etc. it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

I'd be interested too 'cause I'm goin....kinda nervous cause I haven't written in Java or C++ in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

revolver2k wrote:
    the second aims to assess how good you are at coping with the demands of computer programming."

That part is 2 hours long and 5 questions. 40 minutes in they will randomly remove 2 questions that you have answered so far, change a third that you are currently working on and add 3 more questions while telling you that you only have 1 hour to complete the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

:D heh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Java? Microsoft want Java? I thought this was the language that coined the expression "embrace, extend, extinguish"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

People study java while at college. Don't know many places (if at all?) That focus on .Net only!

• Advertisement

*Bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

bpmurray wrote:
    Java? Microsoft want Java? I thought this was the language that coined the expression "embrace, extend, extinguish"!

my thoughts exactly.

but microsoft's latest .NET framework has j#, which i assume is java but without the cool stuff like garbage collector etc., because microsoft aren't as cool as sun :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

J# has been around for years I think... or some form of Java.net

No real difference in syntax between java and c#

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

damnyanks wrote:
    J# has been around for years I think... or some form of Java.net

you learn something new everyday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Sitting it myself today

Have a little info but j# i have my doubts about since sun sued them over it and its lost popularity.

I have seen one of the microsoft trial aptitude tests a while back but due to insane difficulty level was due to be scaled back.

Best of luck and see u in there

• Advertisement

Was in from 10 - 12 this morning doing the tests.
    Weren't TOO bad.

There were 30 multiple choice ( 15 java, 15 C++) questions, and then another 30 'logical reasoning' type questions about a lighting sequence at a stage show !

The java / C++ was fine, but the second test, for me anyway, was a tricky b@stard. only got 19 out of 30 questions done before time was up.

Anyway, best of luck everyone else who did/is taking the test.

Regards,
    M.

revolver2k wrote:
    Was in from 10 - 12 this morning doing the tests.
    Weren't TOO bad.

There were 30 multiple choice ( 15 java, 15 C++) questions, and then another 30 'logical reasoning' type questions about a lighting sequence at a stage show !

The java / C++ was fine, but the second test, for me anyway, was a tricky b@stard. only got 19 out of 30 questions done before time was up.

Anyway, best of luck everyone else who did/is taking the test.

Regards,
    M.

Just out now. Can only describe the aptitude test using bad lang.

Few trick/sneaky questions in the c++ and java

overall i need a pint!!!!

Jesus my head was spinning after the second test! I only got to Sheet 3 out of 6....would not have liked to have gotten to Sheet 6...there woulda been so many conditions to take into account.
    The Java and C++ didn't go too well either....ah sure nothin we can do now other than wait for the results

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

fletch wrote:
    Jesus my head was spinning after the second test! I only got to Sheet 3 out of 6....would not have liked to have gotten to Sheet 6...there woulda been so many conditions to take into account.
    The Java and C++ didn't go too well either....ah sure nothin we can do now other than wait for the results

I remember doing aptitude tests for Irish Life, you're not expected to complete the aptitude test, i.e. you wont be marked down for failing to get to question 30. i remember another guy was doing the aptitude with me and he called over the supervisor over and said that there was a problem with one of the questions, the supervisor looked at him and said "you're the first person to actually get that far before time is up", incidentally he didnt get the job afterward.

I actually noticed a few lines in the second section that were quite ambiguous, I wish I had it now so I could see what others thought but it most definately could have been interpreted in two ways.
    It was somethin like
    "No more than 4 lights can be on at one and as a result...."
    Did anyone else notice it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

my thoughts exactly.

but microsoft's latest .NET framework has j#, which i assume is java but without the cool stuff like garbage collector etc., because microsoft aren't as cool as sun :cool:

.Net has a garbage collector except in the "Anything but MS" universe.

Anyone get a reply from Microsoft yet? They said it would probably be Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.....

Nope but you were one of 150

NutJob wrote:
    Nope but you were one of 150
    Is that how many people are going for the positions? How do you know?

Well i just got the "thanks, but no thanks" e-mail there. ah well, it was worth a shot. I wouldn't think 150 applicants is too far off. There were approx.30 in my group, with a group sitting it before and after mine too. so that's 90+ , and then whoever showed up for the rest of the day.

Anyway, best of luck to those still waiting for a reply.
    Regards,
    M.

• Advertisement

I have it from an extreamly relaible source ;-)

it was 150 and i got a P.F.O two

Wonder if Googles lookin for a few more :-)

Advertisement