Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think Chelsean and Liverpool need new strikers

• 22-02-2006 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

anyone agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

No. Liverpool maybe, see how fowler gets on with crouch...

Drogba is strong, and very good at holding up the ball, hence why Lampard/Cole/Robben scores so much. Crespo is good, when he gets the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Man Utd fan by the way but I would say Chelsea do. After watching tonights game I literally had to pick myself up off the floor after Drogba had the nerve to call himself the best player in Africa, he was the worst player on the pitch. Misses a one on one chance and a minute later Eto'o (African player of the year) finishes beautifully after a great move. For all their money they have not got a 25+ goals a season player like Henry or Van Nistelrooy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sorry, i don't do knee-jerks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jammer wrote:

Drogba is strong, and very good at holding up the ball, hence why Lampard/Cole/Robben scores so much. Crespo is good, when he gets the service.

Crespo is class but he is getting old, Drogba is very iffy for a team which is meant to be one of the best, you cannot rely on midfielders like lampard etc to score goals

zabbo wrote:
    Sorry, i don't do knee-jerks

this isn't about tonights game

• Advertisement

Jammer wrote:

Fowler is pretty good but if liverpool really want to challenge they need someone else and as for crouch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Sheesh, do the delusional Liverpool supporters really think that Fowler can really compare to real world class strikers like Van Nistelrooy, Henry or even Crespo or Defoe? If he was so fantastic, why was he fourth choice in an average Man City team? As for the rest, Morientes is past it and Cisse just doesn't have or will ever have the ability to cut it as a world class striker.

It's a sorry situation when Crouch is the best performing 'Pool striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sighs....Liverpool do need another striker and will proberly buy one this summer with Cisse and Mori moving on. Chelsea seem to be doing alright with thier donkey. Liverpool are'nt exactly tumbling down the table either, there is a lot more to success than dead eye strikers.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think Liverpool need two new strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Sheesh, do the delusional Liverpool supporters really think that Fowler can really compare to real world class strikers like Van Nistelrooy, Henry or even Crespo or Defoe? If he was so fantastic, why was he fourth choice in an average Man City team? As for the rest, Morientes is past it and Cisse just doesn't have or will ever have the ability to cut it as a world class striker.

It's a sorry situation when Crouch is the best performing 'Pool striker.
    Eh no. A poster claimed we wait and see how Fowler does before we judge him. Controversial I know. Up front is where Liverpool lack a bit of bite at the moment no doubt. Do they have players that can play a part in bigger things? Definitely. Crouch has been great for Liverpool this year, like it or not. Ask any Liverpool fan, or someone who actually watches their games and they will tell you.

As for Chelsea, Drogba has scored 10 in 18 starts and 10 subs. He has also got numerous assists. Crespo has hit 12 in 19 starts and 11 subs. Both are doing pretty well, particularly as they are both being rotated a lot and that both have missed spells through injury (and then the ANC for Drogba).

Drogba is a very useful player, and while he may have missed a great chance tonight, which will stick out because Barca scored from the resulting play, he also made that chance and another one himself. He is perfectly suited to Chelsea's style of play.

So to summarise, Chelsea don't need new strikers. Liverpool probably do need another one seeing as Morientes and Cisse are not producing the goods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I think fowler will do well working off crouch, for the remainder of the season, at least.

Drogba has one of the best assist stats in the premiership this season, and Frank LAmpard is one of the top scorers...its not a co-incidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

So to summarise, Chelsea don't need new strikers. Liverpool probably do need another one seeing as Morientes and Cisse are not producing the goods.

I think that chelsea could do with a third striker, Carlton Cole isn't really developing well and they have ruined Gudjohnesen as a striker(turning him into a midfielder)

Liverpool definately need one though as Cisse doesn't seem to fit into the liverpool system and Morientes hasn't come good since moving from Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

get ronaldo, hes leaving madrid (;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fowler and Moro have been doing well lately. I challenge any strikers of their type (footballers, not lumpers like ciise) to score goals with teh service they've been getting. The whole Benfica game was spent hoofing balls up the middle to them, what the hell are they supposed to do with that? Neither ar particularly massive or burley, so they are trying to take balls dropping from 70-80 feet in the air with people much bigger and more physical than themselves. They are thenexpected to turn these balls into goals all by themselves. These two players have built careers on being on the end of crosses or finishing good moves, neithe rof which they are getting. Crouch can't head a ball, which is shocking for a man of his height. That should be his main threat. Instead he is no threat at all.

Ciise is a useles donkey, who, in the last few games when he is getting the last few mins, is being lazy and not chasing balls.This is exactly the type of thing he needs to do to try and make himself look busy and actually worth something to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm not sure how much Chelsea need a new striker. Last season my opinion would have been different, but now I think they have two strikers with contrasting styles that are both valuable to them. Crespo is probably the more natural finisher, he likes to play off the shoulder and get in behind defenders, whereas Drogba likes to make a nuisance of himself and holds play up quite well. With Chelsea's formation I don't think they need more than two decent strkers, which they have.
    I think one Liverpool striker will move on, assuming Benitez buys in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Chelsea from a squad point of view should probably get a third quality striker. But as Kezman demonstrated last year, a player is not going to hang around if he is not getting a kick.

People do seem to forget about Gudjohnsen though, who is a class act, even if not an out and out striker anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well I think chelsea need a good 3rd striker. Cole is muck. While I have my doubts about drogba and his complete lack of technique and finishing he has a great brain on him and plays others in brilliantly.

Crespo is class but plays better as a two, cannot hold the ball up on his own. Gudjohnson was never a great striker and I think his best position is midfield where last night some of his close control in a group of players was just outstanding in the 2nd half.

But to be honest. People have been going on about our lack of good strikers. Tell me, all the non chelsea fans do you really want us to have Sheva or Henry or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

shhhhhhhh abramovich has spies everywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool need a new attack. It's nowhere near as good as the other half of its team.

Chelsea need a player who can do both what Drogba does and what Crespo does at the same time, if you only play one up front, at the top level, you need that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Liverpool: definitely, at least one striker of huge quality needs to come in. Can't afford two so they'll need to partner with one of the existing players - fowler, crouch or mellor and hopefully Cisse is gone.

Chelsea: they seem to be doing fine without an amazing striker but I think it could vastly improve them for the CL. Besides, they can afford it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement