Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi v Robinho v Rooney

• 22-02-2006 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

just wondering who ye think is really the "next big thing today"
    After tonights match i would say Messi for his strenght and that left foot of his, and the fact that he is only 18.
    Does anyone where he came from or was it their youth system?
    (feel free to add to the list)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Messi is simply excellent, and as someone said tonight, Messi could most certainly be heir to Ronaldinho's crown.

Robinho is very good and is finally starting to show the promise he did at Santos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Rooney I'd say is the most established of the three. I'd say its more between Rooney and Messi. Robinho is improving but is not at their level yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There's been numerous posts on Messi over the last 12 months, he had an amazing youth world cup last year with the argies, and pipped John Obi Mikel as the best player - http://www.fifa.com/en/news/feature/0,1451,108353,00.html

I wouldn't count Robinho or Rooney as up and coming talents as both are major players for club and country.

As mentioned, watch out for Jon Obi Mikel as well, and keep an eye out for Barce's next superstar - Giovanni Dos Santos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

messi is definitly the better of the three, rooney isn't anything special. robinho is good, byut messi, he is brilliant, see him 2night ruining the left side of chelsea, his effort was superb, barca could of got 4 or 5, only for no-one in the box when messi crossed, he is way better than rooney, we just dont hear it because he dosesn't play in the premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Add Rossi of Man Utd to that list, the world cup gonna be good.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Messi > Rooney > Robinho

Very close between Messi and Rooney for me but I'd plump for Messi simply because he has that knack for creating something very special out of nothing that Rooney doesn't do as often.

Robinho is a decent but overrated footballer IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

For me Rooney is the better of the 3 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

marky4 wrote:
    rooney isn't anything special.
    agreed.

:v:

If I had to build a team around someone tomorrow it'd be Rooney. I don't think Rooney has as much room for improvement as Messi does though. Messi is top class now but he is just going to be unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

rooney hands down. no he's not as skillfull or agile as the others, but he has a winning mentality and no-fear factor which i think young players outside england lack.

he's already proved he's a class act at the highest level. he's mentally stronger than any of the above mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Rooney now, but this time next year Messi should be better (He is afterall around two years younger), Robinho doesn't deserve to be mentioned in a thread like this, not yet anyway.

Though what the above poster is basing the mental strenght thing on is beyond me, Rooney is prone to flying off the handle and when has Messi showed anything but mental strenght? Did you not witness his first ever start against Madrid in the biggest league game in the world or how he performed in a match as hyped as tonights?

Fear? You must be bloody joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

While Robinho has shown flashes for Madrid since his move, I don't think he's been superb. But he is young, I'm sure he has the capacity to become a great. He's been in the most inconsistent team out of the 3 (Yes, I know United have had their difficulties, but Madrid has been like a merry-go-round with the change of managers/staff etc.)
    Rooney, some might say I'm being biased but I can't understand it when people say things like 'he's nothing special.' Maybe he does get a bit more hyped because he's English, but some of his performances and goals just speak for themselves. You're not ordinary if you've done some of the things he's done.
    Messi probably looks like the hottest prospect of them all at the moment. I'm not sure how old Robinho is exactly, but Messi has two years on Rooney. Even though Rooney is still young, we've seen him mature a lot and he already has bags of experience. Some could argue we've seen him at his best, whereas Messi is a bit too young to have that said about him.
    And as Kdjac said, Rossi is definately one that you might be adding to the list soon. I'm sure Arsenal fans would say the same about Lupoli.

Argentine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

saw messi for the first time tonight and was highly impressed, looks a very good player. didn't realise he was so young either

what nationality is he?

I've no idea how that happened :D My post above eyerers was in response to his post anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Slash/ED wrote:
    I've no idea how that happened :D My post above eyerers was in response to his post anyway...
    Yeah I thought you were replying to me and thought "what the ****?":)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Two worldbeaters on one team. That's unfair, UEFA should make a ruling you're only allowed one wonderkid per team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Slash/ED wrote:
    Rooney is prone to flying off the handle and when has Messi showed anything but mental strenght? Did you not witness his first ever start against Madrid in the biggest league game in the world or how he performed in a match as hyped as tonights?

Fear? You must be bloody joking.

obviously if you play like messi has done tonight you dont fear much but im referring to rooney's 'in ur face' attitude, he'll bully people off the ball and has that aggressive streak.

rooney is the full package, he's got everything and more. he doesnt know the meaning of the word 'fear'. flying off the handle isnt necessarily a bad thing (provided it's not over the top), i like that in a player and tbh it's what utd need now that keane's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

personaly the young brazilian Kerlon is imo the bright light of the footballing future, saw him in the south american youth cup on euro news and was amazed, he did something i've bever seen in football ever the "seal dribble" simply amazing

smemon wrote:
    obviously if you play like messi has done tonight you dont fear much but im referring to rooney's 'in ur face' attitude, he'll bully people off the ball and has that aggressive streak.

rooney is the full package, he's got everything and more. he doesnt know the meaning of the word 'fear'. flying off the handle isnt necessarily a bad thing (provided it's not over the top), i like that in a player and tbh it's what utd need now that keane's gone.

Yes but is it mental strenght flying off the handle or would you rather someone being more composed?

Eitherway it doesn't matter, Messi has shown nothing but incredible mental strenght and complete and total lack of fear and respect for reputations since getting into the Barca side. How you can question this aspect of his game is beyond me, it is simply beyond debating after the performances he's put in truly massive games (Where he is usually at his best, in fact). Rooney plays without fear, Messi if anything does that even more so. "he has a winning mentality and no-fear factor which i think young players outside england lack.", sheer nonsense. And I'm not denying Rooney is a great player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cesc Fabregras Anyone, still only 18!

The thing about all those players is that they are all forwards. Its much easier to be a wonderkid as a forward then to be at the heart of midfeild threading through balls to the atackers and basicly dictating the play, which is what cesc is all about. Give him a year or 2 to develop physically and with a bit of extra protection he can become the best midfielder in the world.

Hoever I do agree that Messi is probably the best youngster in the world right now. Rooney can be excellant but does have his faults (temperment)

Robihno i havent seen enough of and tbh what I saw last night did not impress me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The player who is younger will always seem like a better prospect, because well they are still younger, and in turn people think they have more potential.

Dos Santos
    Kerlon
    Roncatto
    Tevez
    Maschereno

Are all probably more talked up than any of those below, but have yet to prove it at a European level, and until then, they aren't in these conversation imo.

---

Messi vs. Rooney, I don't know, atm probably Rooney, but only just. Rooney has more pressure on him, while Messi is a lot more protected.
    Robinho is good, but hasn't really preformed at Real Madrid yet.

People who should be in this:

Fabregas: Who is absolutely unreal for his age, and going to be one of the best players in the world without a doubt, although as a midfielder, he won't peak until at the earliest 25(isn't that a scary thought, peaking after 7 more years of development)

Ronaldo: I know people disagree with me on this, but I stand by it.

Robben: The guy is only 22, people forget that, and is incredible when he is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Add A Polll!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I was VERY impressed how Messi coped so well with Chelsea's intimidation. It was obvious that they had planned to get in his face and shut him down but he didn't seem fazed by it at all anf played outstanding. I love this guy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Messi was very impressive last night, easily Barca's best player. This could be a honeymoon season for him though, I suspect he'll find it harder next season when defenders know what he's about.

Rooney is still the best of those three at the moment. Put him in Barca's team and he'd incredible. Put Messi in United's team and he wouldn't shine quite so brightly.

Oh and re: Lupoli, he is a bright prospect, but not deserving of mention alongside the above 3 at the moment (nor is Rossi). Ripping it up in the reserves and scoring on the odd cameo for the first team has done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I think Messi could develop into the best of the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Rooney just edges Messi imo, as he's played competitively at all levels. Could be different story in a years time though.

Regarding Robinho, how much more can he develop? He's not exactly a wonderkid anymore. He's 22 and Messi is 18, we shouldn't even be comparing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Messi is a great player but after his display last night I think he should be banned from Champions League for 3-4 games. This rolling around is a joke and when it is as blantant as last nite when UEFA can clearly see they are play acting they should be banned

Also wasnt it funny the Cantona ad was on at half time. Talk about great timing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

As beautiful as Messi is to watch, and comming from a Liverpool supporter I have to say Rooney is going to be more of a complete player altough I would imagine Messi will have a better strike rate, but Rooneys work rate will be better one thing for sure the WC is going to be class.
    I dont believe Robinho is in the running he is to lightweight. I would have C Ronaldo in the same league as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If I was picking a team, id rather have Messi. I was amazed by his ability at the start of the season, everyone is seeing what he can do now. He's a barca player now for about 5 years so he wont be phased by the media comments.

One young player people haven't mentioned is Lukas Podolski, he's up there with Rooney, Messi, Robinho but not in the media spotlight like they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Very hard to separate Messi and Rooney, based only on last nite, it was the first time I saw the lad but he was unreal, I think Messi is more of a creator where as Rooney is a worker and striker.

Robino, don't know about this guy yet, have seen him in only 6 or 7 matches but just don't think he is with these guys yet,

Rossi - he has massive potential, but will he make the world cup squad?

Ya Roncatto , Dos Santos & Tevez I have come across in Champ Manager but are they that good in real life?

Ronaldo - I admire your tolerance PHB but his mentality is still wrong, will he ever change time will tell.

Fabregasc could be in there again, another fine talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

marky4 wrote:
    rooney isn't anything special.
    You sir, know nothing about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

All three are class and at the moment the order would be:

1. Rooney
    2. Messi
    3. Robinho

but after watching the little fella last night i think he could be the next Maradona. At the moment Rooney is that little bit more developed than the other 2 but he is older by a couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

I think a good way to judge between Messi and Rooney is to consider if they swapped teams. I.E. imagine Rooney at Barcelona and Messi at United??
    I think Rooney would be exceptional at Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The biggest problem young players have is consistency, out of those 3 players, Robinho lakes this the most, all 3 are different style of players in different leagues/teams.

Rooney playing in the more physical english league, tracks back, fights for the ball, Messi is giving *zero* defensive duties as is Robinho.

Robinho is inconsistent as hell, his first game for Real when he came on, he was amazing, next game, no where. Happens all young players, happens to Rooney as well.

The argies could be useful at the world cup, with attacking players like Aimar, Riquelme , Messi, Crespo, Tevez and Saviola, and other players like Sorin, Veron, Ayala, Collocini and the Milito brothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Big Nelly wrote:
    Messi is a great player but after his display last night I think he should be banned from Champions League for 3-4 games. This rolling around is a joke and when it is as blantant as last nite when UEFA can clearly see they are play acting they should be banned

Also wasnt it funny the Cantona ad was on at half time. Talk about great timing!
    If you're a chelsea supporter you're an idiot!

Edit: Sorry that's harsh but you can't be serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

It's gotta be Lionel, fantastic skill and great attitude. He's only going to get better. Sure, even if he doesn't improve (unlikely) and remains as good as he's playing now he will still be class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I've watched Messi a lot over the last year and a half and I've never been more excited about any player. He is at the perfect club to nurture his talents so I expect a swift meteoric rise over the next 2 seasons where he will be universally lauded as the best player in the world.
    Rooney won't be too far behind though. I love them both. Thank God we have these wonderful talents in football today.
    It's a worthy debate, but I just say sit back and enjoy!

By the way Messi was sent off on his debut for Argentina for violent conduct. He can obviously be tempermental at times also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

its a hard one to call. If i was to answer, id say Rooney, closely followed by Messi. Robinho is unbelieveable talent but will need time to progress etc. As someone said, it will be a good world cup with all the young talented players of tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

not a big fan of Rooney myself. He is the best forward England have got though, eye for goal, strength and determination.

Messi and Ronaldinho are just superb to watch, though Messi has some way to go to match Ronaldinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

messi definitely. he is the man! wish his shot that hit the bar hadve gone in just for the sake of it. he deserved it. out played everone i thuoght and won balls that no one else couldve gotten to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I think there are fundamental deifferences in messi and rooneys respective games. One thing I will say, unless you watch at old trafford you dont get the whole of what rooney offers, his workrate off the ball is absolutely incredible.

They are both at the right clubs for them, nowhere will messis flair be nurtured better than at barca, and similarly rooneys natural aggresion is far more focused in the correct manner since being under fergies control, man u are the best club in the world at minding volatile young players.

Rooney is simply unbelieveable and if he had the service messi has at barca then I think everyone would think he was better than messi. When teams play barca they double up on ronaldihnio similarly when teams play utd they try to eliminate rooney, my point is that messi doesnt get the same kind of focused defence due to the other stars in the barca team.

Advertisement