Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports are too biased

• 22-02-2006 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

During tonights game between Chelski & Barca, was it just me or did Sky demonstrate just how biased they are. They attempted to extonarate Del Horno after he tried to kill Messi, they also claimed that Chelski would be justified in having a case of playing against 12 men. I for one thought the ref did a good job considering the atmosphere of the match in general.

It great when you compare the analysis of the guys in RTE where you are given a more truthful and impartial commentry.

Good match in that Chelski got exactly what they deserved.:) :):):):)

Andy Gray should be retired.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Loved Jose saying Messi play acted, and it resulted in the sending off.

He must have forgotten about Robben's oscar winning performence against Liverpool.

But yeah, Andy Gray was a head-wrecker after the sending off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sky are an english station, i bet Sky Spain (:)) are complaining about penos now.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Of course they are biased, they are a British channel and the English champions were being outplayed by the Spanish champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

They, specifically Andy Gray, are pathetic and always have been. I can't stand listening to them. It was just pure slanderous lies coming from them tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Macker1 wrote:
    During tonights game between Chelski & Barca, was it just me or did Sky demonstrate just how biased they are. They attempted to extonarate Del Horno after he tried to kill Messi, they also claimed that Chelski would be justified in having a case of playing against 12 men. I for one thought the ref did a good job considering the atmosphere of the match in general.

It great when you compare the analysis of the guys in RTE where you are given a more truthful and impartial commentry.

Your post is extremely ironic.

Do you not think using words like "Chelski" and phrases like Del Horno "tried to kill Messi" and "Chelski got exactly what they deserved" are a tad bit biased? Not to mention your use of multiple smileys?

As for the RTE lads being more "truthful" or "impartial", I'll gladly accept an offer of 100/1 on Chelsea to progress if you, like Giles, think "Chelsea havn't a prayer". Something tells me you wouldn't accept that offer. The lads on RTE seem to forget that it was 10 against 11 (regardless of whether the sending off was deserved or not) when ranting on about how Barcelona showed how football should be played. The only player that stood out tonight for Barca was Messi (who was exceptional) and a few great touches from Ronaldinho (but hey you would expect at least that from the best player in the world being marked by a midfield player and against 10 men no?).

Sky are biased yes, and yes they did overkill it. But so are plenty of people like yourself who go the complete opposite direction.

• Advertisement

Sky are biased yes, and yes they did overkill it. But so are plenty of people like yourself who go the complete opposite direction.

True but he's not paid big money to go on TV and acted like an exictable idiot child like Andy Gray was today and not for the first time, and this isn't a reaction to tonight, I started a similar thread on him last season sometime, all Skys pundits job is is to hype, and the premiership is their big product. Balance and genuine opinion doesn't seem to come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Of course Sky are biased, but this is nothing new. It's always the way when they are covering CL games. Andy Gray wrecked my head tonight.
    When they're not covering CL games, they even biased in the Premiership. I can't count the amount of times, during a decent game of football, that Andy Gray or Martin Tyler have said: "You don't get this kind of action anywhere else other than the Premiership."
    Having said that though, I can't bring myself to watch RTE analysis, so I usually do choose Sky.

I choose Sky as I love watching the various matches so it's easier to flick, but god almighty I wish Andy Gray did a Ron and we never had to hear him again.

I am genuinely surprised to see that people are surprised that Sky will go OTT on the hype of the English teams. Afterall, the EPL is the moneyspinner for Sky and they have always hyped 'their' teams up during the last 12/13 years.

Slash/ED wrote:
    True but he's not paid big money to go on TV and acted like an exictable idiot child like Andy Gray was today and not for the first time, and this isn't a reaction to tonight, I started a similar thread on him last season sometime, all Skys pundits job is is to hype, and the premiership is their big product. Balance and genuine opinion doesn't seem to come into it.
    True, but Sky's coverage appeals to the exitable type, particularly when they are covering their own team of choice. Their tabloid style appeals to people, for example, who still get a kick out of Chel$ki ("Yes I know, did you not hear? A Russian billionaire just bought Chelsea?").

I have seen you and others have a go at Andy Gray before, and it is justified plenty of times. They are just selling a product. They want to dramatise it. Live with it. Same way RTE still employ Dunphy, despite his various on screen circus acts over the years, people want to see drama and controversy, it's their job to create it and hype it.

• Advertisement

True, but Sky's coverage appeals to the exitable type, particularly when they are covering their own team of choice. Their tabloid style appeals to people, for example, who still get a kick out of Chel$ki ("Yes I know, did you not hear? A Russian billionaire just bought Chelsea?").

I have seen you and others have a go at Andy Gray before, and it is justified plenty of times. They are just selling a product. They want to dramatise it. Live with it. Same way RTE still employ Dunphy, despite his various on screen circus acts over the years, people want to see drama and controversy, it's their job to create it and hype it.

Oh I agree 100%, but it shows they're not credibile as pundits and are simply extensions of Skys marketing department, I suppose it's my fault for consistently getting annoyed by it. Tabloid style would certainly be the description of it.

Nail on the head there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Slash/ED wrote:
    They, specifically Andy Gray, are pathetic and always have been. I can't stand listening to them. It was just pure slanderous lies coming from them tonight.

You made my point exactly there. I hate the way andy gray goes on, especially in the premiership, he is really biased towards the big teams, excluding man utd, from what i have noticed anyway. He shouts his head off when arsenal or chelsea score a tap in, and barely reacts to a united goal. Im not a united fan, but i just think its time sky had a change, him and tyler wreck my head these days, but i know there is no hope of them getting rid of gray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm going to be controvertial, but I don't think it was a red. I've given and recieved a lot worse in my time that has'nt been so much as a yellow. I don't think he tried to do him, for the simple reason that it looked so pityfull. it was a sly, essien type of tackle it was like he we completely arse over tits and missed the ball.

As for the Terry challenge that everyone is giving out about, that wasn't a peno either. Both players were looking at the ball and collided, nothing more. the ref was spot on with that.

Slash/ED wrote:
    but it shows they're not credibile as pundits and are simply extensions of Skys marketing department
    There is no disputing that.

Even look at the types they have on their panels. Redknapp (he's actually not too bad, but very agreeable to everything, you would wonder if he looked and sounded like Peter Beardsley if he would be there?). And then Hoddle and Wilkins, both again very agreeable, won't say anything controversial, both connected to Chelsea. Their analysis always leads to the yes men doing what they do best. Its a borefest.

But then we should ask, who are the good pundits?

RTE is usually ok. At least Giles and Brady have reasonably unbiased and impartial opinions, although Brady can go a bit OTT for the Gunners. Dunphy though is a sham. I'm sure he thinks the Scottish league is the pinnacle of football now ;) Houghton can be overly critical, but I think he is ok. Toshack is an interesting one, that you would imagine he should know a lot, but sometimes comes out with crap.

On BBC Hansen is decent, and at least can seperate his loyalties. The likes of Ian Wright and Schmeichel are woeful though.

UTV is not worth talking about really. Again, its full of yes men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Tried to kill messi? If he wanted to do that, del horno would of flying kicked him in the face ala jason macateer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tried to kill messi? If he wanted to do that, del horno would of flying kicked him in the face ala jason macateer.

Yeah, king of subtlety is our jase.

Wright is woeful, but funny to watch when England lose. Schmichael is truly awful, you're right, there's very very few good pundits around. One from out of the usual pack, and a man I despise but there's no denying, Pat Dolan is actually a pretty good pundit, but there's very few good ones out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

TV needs Rodney Marsh back I say! Now there's a man who isn't afraid to speak his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah, totally biased tonight, especially after the sending off.

barcelona were sensational once larsson came on, seemed to just step it up a few gears. literally wave after wave of attack. it's great to see that sort of football being rewarded.

barcelona are unstoppable and comparable to the greatest sides of all time imo when they're in that sort of form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

All in all RTE are biased in the EXTREAM when Ireland are involved in any sporting event, but come on its to be expected, you pander to the audience that are paying your wages, the folks in the uk would most likely think RTE was anti-brittish or something similar. horses for courses imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

blu_sonic wrote:
    All in all RTE are biased in the EXTREAM when Ireland are involved in any sporting event, but come on its to be expected, you pander to the audience that are paying your wages, the folks in the uk would most likely think RTE was anti-brittish or something similar. horses for courses imo

agree totally with you blu sonic,giles and more so dunphy imo are very anti-english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Ray Houghton was ranting about the sending off aswell. Didn't hear to much about it from him after the panel disaproved though:D . There was a point when he was giving out about the Norwegian league and how it's ref's shouldn't be allowed take charge of big european games. Now there is a man who shouldn't be allowed near a microphone so be happy with Dr. Gray and pity those with only RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

i was looking forward to see messi tonight but the commentry was wild, the best thing about sky is sky+, so here's the rewind
    12th minute del horno foul on messi, warned by ref

30th minute del horno high-foot studs showing, studs messi's knee
    andy grey makes a comment about if your del horno you might just 'let him know your there' then says 'in europe you might get a free kick for that'
    someone should tell andy what the E in UEFA stands for

35th minute mesi goes on a run, del horno fouls messi, ref plays advantage, robben obstruction on messi, ref plays advantage, del horno fouls messi again, no more advantage ref blows whistle, del horno rolls around THEN messi rolls around

hawtornes commentry on messi's 35th minute run, 'now messi, caught again by del horno, the referee had his whistle to his lips, so he may want to speak to del horno, bearing in mind the acumilation factor, robben, dives in' then grey lost the run of himself and twisted all events.
    half time, i flicked on to rte, giles, dunphy, brady, all in agreement it was a red card.

now i know sky is english, but alot of people i talk to dont, so i was glad to see this post.
    my big fear for the future is murdochs working on cloning winston churchill for UEFA match commentry ...'we shall fight them on stamford bridges'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

barcelona were sensational once larsson came on, seemed to just step it up a few gears. literally wave after wave of attack. it's great to see that sort of football being rewarded.
    Yes Larsson should have come on at half time.
    It is great to see attacking football rewarded.
    Football has become far too negative in the last few years especially in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Macker1 wrote:

I get the feeling Macker couldn't wait to post this. Not because he really wanted to have a go at sky but because he was too delerious that Chelski (my god how old is that now!) the devil of football got exactly what they deserved. So what exactly was it that they deserved? To loose?

Me a blues fan, I'm extremely proud this morning. In my opinion and yes its a tad biased it was a yellow card not a red. Also love the way messi has a good look at the ref before rolling around in agony! What annoyed me was the apparent lack of any sort of cards or anything against Barca! The ref was good in parts but way too Barcelona for a serious CL tie.

We were put down to 10 men and in teh second half had a right good go at the best team on the planet and even took the lead. At that point I was saying right nobody can say we don't deserve respect as the best team in England anymore! Right the lads got tired and eventually numbers won out, it was a joy to watch at times and maybe with a striker of better quality than Drogba we may have got more out of the game.

So for people in the Macker1 boat, go for it have a good laugh, see how empty it feels when you sit back and think on the game. I still feel we can go to the nou camp and get a result with 11 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Slash/ED wrote:
    True but he's not paid big money to go on TV and acted like an exictable idiot child like Andy Gray was today and not for the first time...

Brilliant, lol. How apt.
    ...I started a similar thread on him last season sometime, all Skys pundits job is is to hype, and the premiership is their big product.

And hype it up they do. As the boys on RTE said last night, last night's match outlined the paucity of the English game.

iregk wrote:
    IWhat annoyed me was the apparent lack of any sort of cards or anything against Barca! The ref was good in parts but way too Barcelona for a serious CL tie.

Utter fecking nonsense, when will you people stop peddling this delusional crap or at least mention the two penaltys Barca should have had and numerous free kicks mid paranoid whinge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Watched the game last night and thought it was a sending off the first time I seen it. But then afterwards thought maybe a yellow.

Anyway was watching Euronews this morning at they showed the tackle from a different angle and I noticed that after Del Horno jumped into Messi he rolled around on the ground and clucthed his foot/ankle as if he had been badly tackled ? It was quite funny actually :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ciaran76 wrote:
    Watched the game last night and thought it was a sending off the first time I seen it. But then afterwards thought maybe a yellow.

Anyway was watching Euronews this morning at they showed the tackle from a different angle and I noticed that after Del Horno jumped into Messi he rolled around on the ground and clucthed his foot/ankle as if he had been badly tackled ? It was quite funny actually :p

From the angle last night it looked like he grabbed his chest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Slash/ED wrote:
    Utter fecking nonsense, when will you people stop peddling this delusional crap or at least mention the two penaltys Barca should have had and numerous free kicks mid paranoid whinge?

Yes I thought the referee was very fair.
    Chelsea are a cynical team and they were punished for frees that were fouls but that they usually get away with in the Premiership.
    A foul is a foul though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What annoyed me most about the commentary was the fact that the pair really didn't know all that much about Spanish football. Sky show 2 maybe 3 (sometimes 4) La Liga games every weekend, why couldn't Rob Palmer, Kevin Keatings or Jerry Armstrong been doing the commentary? The guys that do it week in week out and at least have an idea about the teams.
    When Chelsea scored I actually had to mute the tv, Andy Gray was completely wrecking my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Makaveli wrote:
    Andy Gray was completely wrecking my head.

:eek: He still does that? i got rid of sky donekys years ago, and the best bit about it is not having to listen to that twat! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

it really came to me last night how far Andy Gray is up Chelsea's hole!! The stuff he was saying! I hate watching on Sky Sports 2, but jjust did last night for the one match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

iregk wrote:
    What annoyed me was the apparent lack of any sort of cards or anything against Barca! The ref was good in parts but way too Barcelona for a serious CL tie.

Really because 2 Barca players got yellow cards!
    iregk wrote:
    Also love the way messi has a good look at the ref before rolling around in agony!

Yeah and I love the way that Chelski players are pretending to be injured after a bad challenge in order to escape punishment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yes Larsson should have come on at half time.
    It is great to see attacking football rewarded.
    Football has become far too negative in the last few years especially in the Premiership.

doubt you would of being saying this if chelsea got the result. They played with 2 men up front even when they went down to 10 men. Then at 1-1 they continued to play 2 up front. They when they went 2-1 down they still did it!

yet people then criticsed murinho for his poor tactics, and said how he should of been more defensive.

the anti-chelseaness really is comical most of the time.

the anti-chelseaness really is comical most of the time.

it doesnt matter if chelsea played with 3 up front, they couldnt do anything, no skill, no flawless interchange and overlaps, switching the play, constant options on the ball, crisp one touch passing...

attacking football should be rewarded but that doesnt mean if you put 4 up front you should win the match, it's stupid. attacking as a unit is a different story. barca did that, chelsea didnt. chelsea can't attack like barca can, if they did they'd be the best team in the world.

barcelona tactics, attitude, formation are all positive and attacking, imo chelsea's aren't.

What do you mean they couldnt do anything? No skill? YOur right, none of chelseas players have any skill.

Chelsea were excellent going forward last night for a team a man down. Barca were poor in the first half, barring messi. eto and ronaldihno were both very quiet. They only got into the game when it became more open because of chelsea's tiredness. Even at 2-1 up barca didnt seem bothered with scoring in the last minute. The closed it up and just passed the ball around when they could of attacked and went for a 3rd.

I dont understand how you can say chelsea tactis or formation last night wasnt attacking.

What do you mean they couldnt do anything? No skill? YOur right, none of chelseas players have any skill.

Chelsea were excellent going forward last night for a team a man down. Barca were poor in the first half, barring messi. eto and ronaldihno were both very quiet. They only got into the game when it became more open because of chelsea's tiredness. Even at 2-1 up barca didnt seem bothered with scoring in the last minute. The closed it up and just passed the ball around when they could of attacked and went for a 3rd.

I dont understand how you can say chelsea tactis or formation last night wasnt attacking.

im not necessarily referring to last night, im talking about in general. barca attack constantly, chelsea don't. theres no doubt chelsea are a more defensive side than barca.

i think tiredness is an excuse tbh, champions league knock out stage, at home, 1-0 up, motivated after having a man sent off - these guys are human and run on adrenaline aswell.

barca are more agile and natural in their football, by their persistent attacking play they wore down chelsea mentally and began to run riot. (chelsea couldnt get the ball!)

smemon wrote:
    im not necessarily referring to last night, im talking about in general. barca attack constantly, chelsea don't. theres no doubt chelsea are a more defensive side than barca.

In general barca are a more attacking side, but chelsea made a good effort to atleast try and attack last night but they get no credit. Barca dont attack constantly, didnt bother attacking much in the first half last night.
    smemon wrote:
    i think tiredness is an excuse tbh, champions league knock out stage, at home, 1-0 up, motivated after having a man sent off - these guys are human and run on adrenaline aswell.

Please, you cant be serious?
    smemon wrote:
    barca are more agile and natural in their football, by their persistent attacking play they wore down chelsea mentally and began to run riot. (chelsea couldnt get the ball!)

Yes, of course it was all mental and had nothing to do with tiredness. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Ardent wrote:
    How apt.

board's official phrase of the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Flicked between the 2 stations and both bugged me - Andy Grey, who usually has a fairly strong anti CFC stance (imho) was fawning over them and crying how hard done by they were. As I previously posted, the tackle was clumsy more than violent and a red was, i thought, harsh - that not withstanding, make a stupid tackle like that and you run a very real risk of been sent off.

Turned over to RTE - Giles was fine - nothing too controversial (as per usual). Dunphy was Dunphy, take with a pinch of salt. Brady is anything but impartial though and the shift in power in London over the last few years has clearly rankled him. He is a Gunner through and through, which is fine but is it too much to ask for a commentator/ panelist who can give a clear, intelligent and accurate commentary/analyais with no bias or hidden agenda?? Just one?? On any station???
    Slash/ED wrote:

All you can ask for is that a ref is consistant to both teams ;
    Yes - Barca could have had a penalty when the ball hit Geremi(i think) from about 2 yards (would have been harsh though).
    Yes - barca should have had a penalty from Terry after his goal line clearance.

But how come when Robben was brought down from behind the ref gave a free kick (from which cfc scored) but took no action on the defender who was already on a yellow??

I've changed my mind - the ref was consistant - consistantly poor.

No doubt you will think this is delusional crap but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

If cork draw an english team in the group stages of next years CL what channell would y'all watch it on sky (or uk tv) or RTE (or irish tv)?

say even if Ireland play England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

is anyone watching soccer saturday at the moment,the crap they are speaking about the "red card" incident,its so biased and quite sickening
    and dont get me started on phil thompson,has this man got a clue about anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

This reminds me of watching last years CL Final on Channel 4. Even when Milan went 3-0 up, even when the half time whistle had blown, even when Milan were stamping their class on the match, ITV were not acknowledging their superiority. They were still whinging about the "penalty that never was" before Milan's second. Not a mention of Sheva's incorrectly disallowed goal, oh no.

Yes yes, I know. ITV is an English station blah blah blah. It doesn't excuse the fact they they were incredibly blinkered during the proceedings.

Switched over to RTE where I could watch the match without such biased drivel. Still couldn't enjoy the match, but for completely different reasons.......:(

Advertisement